Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What coolant??  (Read 3597 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
What coolant??
« on: May 19, 2014, 11:58:46 AM »

Just a quick question...

What coolant should I put in the XJ?
All I know is that it normally has blue stuff, but it doesn't normally seem to be sold by colour! There are so many different types (OAT, silicate, glysantin etc.), what should I go for? :017:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: What coolant??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:16:03 PM »

If you are draining the system??? If it has any left in it after seeing the pics
Any good stuff will do, just make sure you have enough, because it keeps corrosion at bay.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 12:20:56 PM »

Yup, figured I should drain it after giving everything in there a good boiling!
Great, I'll probably get whatever's cheapest in that case :003:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »

Garden hose on the inside of the rad pointing forward to encourage the mud to exit the way it came in will also help your cause for coolness :icon_super:

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »

It's an iron block and head so the cheap stuff is fine

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »

Dont mix the old glycol with the oat as they are not realy dont work together
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »

Garden hose on the inside of the rad pointing forward to encourage the mud to exit the way it came in will also help your cause for coolness :icon_super:

Yup, I've spent most of today doing just that!

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »

If you haven't done so, you can remove the electric fan quite easily and get more access to the radiator rear.

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: XJ TD
  • Year: 2001
  • nulla tenaci invia est via
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 03:43:55 PM »

Does the same stand for the Diesel engine? i.e. anything?
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
'01 mk2 XJ 2.5 TD (my daily drive)
'97 ZJ 4.0 limited (dead)

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 03:53:30 PM »

No you want the best for the VM

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »

Cool, cheers guys. I managed to get most out by sticking the hose between the blades of the fans and rotating them, but I may remove the electric one tomorrow.

Is it okay to mix different blue coolants? I've found some at home, by two different makes. They both say the usual "Do not mix with other brands" but they're both ethylene glycol so am I right in thinking it shouldn't be a problem?

georgen

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 04:23:57 PM »

OAT is for mixed alloy engines so if you have a engine forged from a lump of cast iron, there's no point, get a decent make that's designed for the older stuff as alloy and iron corrosion are two different things, personally I would go decent make of blue and if your motor runs on the warm side normally go a 50/50 mix ( i used to when running LPG in the past), if it runs spot on temp wise do a more normal 30/35% mix  :icon_winkle:

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 04:25:25 PM »

:iagree: :iagree:...stick with the best stuff.

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »

:iagree: :iagree:...stick with the best stuff.

Kool. Any recommendations?
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with the UK stuff any more. I used to use coolant which I bought from Mercedes Benz over here and never had any issues.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 03:47:37 PM »

I'm an idiot...
In removing the electric fan I managed to snap a bolt, then had to sacrifice the sheet-metal clip that it screwed into to get it out. I then managed to hose the other clip down the drain when I was clearing the radiator.
I had to tie the fan in place with string when I needed to move the XJ!

Anyway, fast forward a few hours and whilst cleaning the Jeep I've discovered that similar clips were used to hold the mud flaps on, so I should now be sorted  8-)

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 04:05:08 PM »

They shouldn't be too hard to find mate...I'd ask at a local panel repair shop and maybe beg a few.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 05:51:36 PM »

OAT is for mixed alloy engines so if you have a engine forged from a lump of cast iron, there's no point, get a decent make that's designed for the older stuff as alloy and iron corrosion are two different things, personally I would go decent make of blue and if your motor runs on the warm side normally go a 50/50 mix ( i used to when running LPG in the past), if it runs spot on temp wise do a more normal 30/35% mix  :icon_winkle:

OAT was designed as an organically sympathetic antifreeze where it will not harm the environment. the blue and old stuff needs to be recycled properly and not binned down the drain. the antifreeze may be designed for newer engines but it is still good for older engines, 50/50 mix is a standard at least then you do not have to worry about winter too much
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 08:53:32 AM »

Someone must have changed the coolant in their TD before?
I guess Hellfrauds may have something listed  :hysterical: :hysterical:
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)

georgen

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 09:45:20 AM »

OAT was designed as an organically sympathetic antifreeze where it will not harm the environment. the blue and old stuff needs to be recycled properly and not binned down the drain. the antifreeze may be designed for newer engines but it is still good for older engines, 50/50 mix is a standard at least then you do not have to worry about winter too much

Im pretty sure it was designed for mixed alloy engines and the corrosive properties of them but yes its far less toxic and you could use it but I would personally put in what what designed for my engine, Toxic or not  :icon_biggrin:
Oat is the norm for 50/50 mix but wasnt always like that, of course it depends where you live and how hot or cold it gets, but you can also affect the running temp of your car slightly by the ratio mix if needed.

Ethylene Glycol or Propylene glycol + Deionized Water + Corrosion Inhibitors = Engine Coolant

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 08:29:13 PM »

OAT should not be used, from what I read that's what the GM Dexcool stuff was and is shite, apparently. Jeep switched to the Mercedes stuff, for all engines as far as I know, which is HOAT, and offers 5-year service life. G-05 is HOAT and available pretty much anywhere but only in 5L bottles. All cars (and my TJ) I've ever changed fluid on have a recommended 50:50 mix ratio for coolant.

georgen

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 08:42:11 PM »

Found this and by this you cant trust the colour either lol, Enjoy  :icon_biggrin:

Types of Anti-Freeze There are three primary types of anti-freeze for your car’s radiator cooling system:

1. Ethylene Glycol/Polyethylene Glycol. Tried and true, this type of anti-freeze is still standard after almost 70 years. Modern ethylene glycol anti-freezes have several additives to protect, clean, and lubricate your cooling system.
2. Non-Toxic Radiator Coolant. This anti-freeze does not contain ethylene glycol or polyethylene glycol (both acutely toxic). These engine coolants are, however, still toxic but only in larger quantities and over longer periods.
3. Extended-Life Anti-Freeze. In most cases, this is simply an ethylene glycol anti-freeze with one or more carboxylate additives to prevent corrosion of the cooling system. These engine coolants should make your car radiator and cooling system last longer.

Common engine coolant additives include: nitrates (corrosion inhibitors, buffers), silicates (corrosion inhibitors, especially for aluminum radiators), carboxylates (buffers, corrosion inhibitors), and borates (buffers).

Never mix different types of engine coolant. You can damage or further reduce your car radiator’s efficiency by mixing the different types. Before you change types, thoroughly drain and flush your cooling system.

The different types - made even more complicated:

OAT coolant (orange or pink) contains no silicates and no phosphates. It's a blend of two or more organic acids, a specific class of inhibitors with slow-acting, long-life properties. Texaco's Havoline Dex-Cool (also sold under the Goodwrench label by GM) was the first example. Prestone and Peak also have introduced OAT coolants that are chemically compatible with Dex-Cool.

Conventional Japanese coolant (green or red) contains no silicates, but has a heavy dose of phosphates and other inhibitors, including a modest amount of one or two organic acids.

Conventional European coolant (blue or yellow) contains a low dose of silicates and no phosphates, but does include other inhibitors, including one organic acid.

Hybrid European coolant (blue or green) is similar to conventional European, but with a much greater dose of organic acids. It's a balanced formula designed to have the silicates provide the primary protection for the aluminum, then allow the organic acids to provide long-term protection.

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 09:17:01 AM »

Just found this link on a Google search: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=22436.0
The Comma website is very handy!
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
Pages: [1]   Go Up