Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Loss / Crazy electrics! 4ltr petrol Grand Cherokee - 1995  (Read 1380 times)

aliveenglish

Hi,
Approx 10 months ago the alarm went off on my Jeep and the drivers window stopped working (all other windows including electric sunroof worked). I had to use the key to open the drivers door (all the others worked via the remote). Then a few weeks later everything started working ok! This has been the pattern ever since. I put on a new battery and although ok for a little bit the problem then continued. More recently the battery has been draining of power V quickly. If I haven't used the Jeep for a day and then leave the boot open for 30 mins - I have to jump start it!! Last week I had not run the Jeep for a few days and this time all of the dash lights were out when I put the key in apart from the ABS light. Called out the AA and they took the battery connectors off for five minutes, put them back on and hey presto - everything worked again! The battery continues to drain though!!! What could be causing it to not hold charge and/or impact on the other stuff??
Any help greatly received!
Thanks

Mike Pavelin

Re: Power Loss / Crazy electrics! 4ltr petrol Grand Cherokee - 1995
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:34:06 AM »

A few points.

First of all, ZG Grand Cherokees have quite a high ignition off draw and can flatten a brand new battery in 4 weeks if left idle. It even says so in the owner's handbook. So if your battery is old and tired it won't take long at all to kill it. If you're going to leave it for a while pull the IOD FUSE to stop this happening.

If the battery has been flat you need to charge it properly for 12 -24 hours, A jump start and a run round the block will not do-it'll be dead again the next morning. Once you have a known decent battery, if it still going flat within a few days you should check how much current is being drawn with the vehicle switched off and locked (let it rest for a couple of minutes to allow the computers to shut down properly) The normal draw is 500-700mA. If this is all you have, fit a new battery.

The problems you have been experiencing with the door and instrument cluster are normally due to the driver's door module being spiked by the central locking motor, causing it to freeze and block the CCD bus, disrupting communication between the other modules including the instrument cluster. Unplugging it or disconnecting the battery will reset it and restore normal operation. If your battery is low it may be more likely to happen so that needs sorting first. There is also a kit available from Jeep to stop the spiking happening completely which plugs into the harness between the central locking and the door module.

aliveenglish

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »

Hi Mike,
Thanks very much for the reply - gives me a few things to crack on with!
Cheers

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 07:11:02 PM »

sounds to  complex for its one good

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 11:02:17 PM »

Worryingly ...think I understand...

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 11:06:53 PM »

Thats all of us buggered then  :hysterical: