Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocker Bolt Bosh  (Read 1496 times)

paulh

Rocker Bolt Bosh
« on: August 21, 2009, 09:21:53 PM »

had a nice tapping on running so thought would check rockers. and find someone been there before. two bolts just swirling around with no grip on thread whatsoever, and not the right bolts at that,

so thinking to helicoil the holes and replace bolts, is this the best way to fix this?

any comments suggestions much appreciated.

and to make things worse, when i put the cover back on, one bolt that holts the generator bar snaps.

as it is yesterday was charge £15 to replace this bolt. :jpshakehead:

[attachment=1]

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
Re: Rocker Bolt Bosh
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 11:18:59 PM »

helicoils are great whent he bolts are put in correctly, slightly off line and the bolt rips the helicoil out. the other option is a slightly more expensive thread insert where you drill the hole large and insert the required thread. alot stronger and used alot in repairing spark plug threads. if the thread is wrecked later you just unscrew the insert and replace it with another.

http://www.timesert.com/
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/TOOLSQWiK_Metric-Time-Sert-Kits_W0QQ_fsubZ255748419QQ_sidZ53791809QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

if you want to helicoil let me know the size and i might have some
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

paulh

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 06:01:54 PM »

Dave,  many thanks for that advice, threads inserted this afternoon and seems ok, very decent chap i know lent me the insert kit and inserts. Now i have a redundant helicoil kit :icon_rolleyes: but at least it's there for  any emergency
Engine seems ok at mo, just a little thumping knock sound so guess the valve clearance might be out. Another day tho. Very Much appreciate your help in this matter. Jeep up and running again at least. Cheers

paulh

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 08:13:10 PM »

re torqued the rockermathingys's today due to little knocking after redoing the threads, have found one of the rockers siting on valve has fair bit of play (above average)
Is there a way to adjust this, because found nothing in jeep xj book, and bolts on top of rockers give me no adjustment.

Althought there has been good improvement has im not leaving smoke trail behind me now :icon_rolleyes:

but a bit stuck has how to get this one valve at the right gap??

excuse me ignorance and questions you have no doubt heard thousands of times, but this is a bit of a pain that i have fixed most of the problem and stuill left with this niggle, many thanks.

Also now have a bit of a throaty thump at the air intake (where filter pipes in) but no obvious signs of a problem.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 08:21:48 PM »

with this being a pushrod engine the adjustment is with the hydraulic lifters that run on the cam in themiddle of the engine. so it seems you have a stuck  lifter. An engine flush and new oil might cure it. the manual says the lifters can be pulled out through the push rod hole with a special removal tool.
Mike or Tim might be able to offer a bit more information
Alfa 147 jtdm

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »

It's no wonder the bolts didn't fit properly. They are metric grade 8.8, so probably 12mm. The thread in the hole are :jpshakehead: imperial 1/2" - 13.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 05:54:42 PM »

confused   its an italyan engine you would expect it to be fully metric

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 05:04:45 PM »

unless someone retapped the thread with an imperial tap
Alfa 147 jtdm

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 07:07:45 PM »

Now I'm confused....
"Not all those who wander are lost"

paulh

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 09:56:47 PM »

you lot confused, how you think i feel. Im driving it :icon_winkle:

anyhow. yep its size 8 bolt and i stuck inserts in for both of them and torqued em down, tempary fix of course :greggmo:

now the rocker next to it where theres a poss stuck valve, how do i sort that out and is there a tool i need :icon_rolleyes: has there is a fair size gap on this one and cos i know it aint right its starting to bug me.

its driving ok at mo, bit of a rattle, and one other odd little noise i cant describe, has finances go, it looks like im going to have to make do and mend as it all falls apart around me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up