Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silly fan related question  (Read 994 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Silly fan related question
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »

Just a quick one - one of the fans on the XJ is very noisy, enough that you can sometimes feel it through the steering wheel. Will this be the electric one, or is it the viscous one when it locks up?
From what I've found online it seems that that is probably the viscous one - if that is the case, how can I check that the electric one is working (my AC doesn't work)? Is it simply a matter of go out and get the Jeep hot?

I would go for a drive to check, but need to save my fuel at the moment! :003:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: Silly fan related question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 11:16:05 AM »

Many moons ago I filled the YJ rad with mud and had to throw buckets of water on it on the way down the A1 to shift the mud......I then did the garden hose thing, as I mentioned yesterday.

fast forward 5 years and the rotting, fins missing, rad was replaced in Dec.....
When I took it out I tried an experiment.....nothing to lose....... I supported it horizontally and pointed the hose upwards.

Result......shed loads more mud released.

Might be worth your while......if you are saving fuel money.......get the spanners out.......

Any one out there want a clean YJ rad, few fins missing.........only gets hot on Motorways at 65 and up........

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:56:19 PM »

unplug the electric one, if the sound goes away then thats the cause.

run two wires to the fan connection from the battery, just make a connection and see what happens
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 09:16:59 PM »

Cool, might try that. It's nothing I'm really concerned about, mostly curiosity!

Lornaben

• Lord of the Mindy ring
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: CJ3B (Mindy)
    • Mahindra Register
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 10:49:16 PM »

Check that both the top mounting screws are fitted to the leccy fan.
If one is missing, the fan will 'lean' on the serpentine belt which quietly grinds lumps out of the fan blade assembly. Then when the fan runs it causes lots of vibration cos the fan is way out of balance ....

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 11:43:34 PM »

Even if your aircon doesn't work the fan should come on when you are on aircon settings on the dial.

In terms of rad cleaning the best thing I've ever done is take it out and put it in a container of water on blocks under the end tanks overnight. All the dirt just fell out and it looked clean before I did it. However it is an undertaking to get the rad out, you will need a special tool to release the clips for the gearbox lines and remove a few other bits and catch all the spilling fluids. Nothing hard but not 5 mins.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 12:14:44 AM »

Cheers guys - using the mud guard clips I got the fan tightly secured, so that is no longer a worry!

Hmmm, I've never seen it spin before and I usually keep the dial on the demist setting, which I believe turns AC on. I'm starting to wonder if it's actually doing anything!

All the water going through the rad fins was clean by the time I was done, so hopefully it will be okay. If not I may well have to look into doing what you said James!
Pages: [1]   Go Up