Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: XJ MOT Failures  (Read 9878 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Re: XJ MOT Failures
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2015, 09:48:25 AM »

Cheers, this could be a perfect use for my Poundland spanners that I once bought in desperation!

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

scrw

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: jeep
  • BD, Fred Kite reincarnated
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 10:33:27 AM »

Despite what Dave69 says I've never managed to pop one using the hammer hitting technique, I use a 'pickle fork' (US slang) ball joint removal tool and BFH.

i routinely use the hammer method

:imwitstupid:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2015, 02:07:26 PM »

Right, a spanner between the jaws of the joint separator and the ball joint popped straight out in about 30 seconds with an enormous bang. I've also swapped O2 sensors no problem.

I've realised that the new joint I've ordered is wrong though - the thread is the wrong way and the thread diameter is too small. Does anyone know the correct part number? It's the ball joint that attaches straight to the pitman arm.
One of the bolts on the sleeve that the joint threads into also snapped. Does anyone have one of those that I could "borrow"??

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2015, 02:46:08 PM »

I'll have a look tomorrow, I might have a replacement bolt and maybe even a second hand joint for the one you are trying to replace.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2015, 03:32:08 PM »

Thanks James, that would be really handy! I've spoken to Jeepey where the joint was from, and it seems it might annoyingly have been the wrong part in the right box...

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2015, 06:07:12 PM »

I tried using the ball joint tool like Dave posted further up, but it threads all the way in before the ball joint budges.

I think I'm going to try wedging something between it and the top of the joint next time I try, and hope that works!

Lump hammer and hit the pitman arm (or hub) hard
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2015, 11:29:45 AM »

I finally have this sorted  8-)

New bolts sourced from a breaker, correct track-rod end overnighted from Lighthouse and I have a Jeep that strangely enough no longer has rattly feeling steering!
A few adjustments and I think the steering wheel is straight, so once Christmas is out of the way it'll be MOT time again  :003: :003:

As an aside, how difficult is it to sort my tracking at home? The XJ has always had a mild drift to the left that I'm confident is and alignment issue, and I've read whilst looking up how to straighten the steering wheel that alignment can be done at home.

terratology

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2015, 01:25:12 PM »

This is the site I used when I did the tracking on my old XJ....http://go.jeep-xj.info

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2015, 06:19:25 PM »

Good site for all xj info needed
Alfa 147 jtdm

The Smiths

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2015, 09:18:50 PM »

very good site - but when set up it will probably still pull to the left (think wheel base is shorter on that side  compared to the right - to allow for camber on roads - when left hand drive)
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2015, 09:18:30 AM »

adjust the lower cam bolt on the front left so that the wheel is staggered further forward than the right. 5mm should be sufficient but that does depend on the camber of the road
Alfa 147 jtdm

The Smiths

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2015, 04:39:44 PM »

adjust the lower cam bolt on the front left so that the wheel is staggered further forward than the right. 5mm should be sufficient but that does depend on the camber of the road

No cam bolts on XJ's - you need to mess about with spacers - all on gojeep
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2015, 08:07:52 PM »

Cheers for the answers guys. No proper internet for a while, but will check that site once I can!

I always put the pulling down to the camber etc, but after getting the ZJ I realised that the XJ is definitely worse. I assume that having the same setup they should be the same?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2015, 10:49:54 PM »

If you find a decent garage they will do a better job of it

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2015, 05:03:55 PM »

Cheers James - that's probably what I'll end up doing!

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2016, 05:49:42 PM »

Damned XJ failed another MOT! I took it to a more local place in Belper and they were much more thorough!

Emissions were fine this time, but a couple of bushes need replacing, and some idiot (no idea who) has smeared grease on a brake disc!

£2.50 each from Lighty's and hopefully parts will be here tomorrow :001:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2016, 10:26:46 AM »

My XJ finally has an MOT :001:
After a long 8 months of being off the road she's ready to come back very soon!

AVR2

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2016, 02:46:32 PM »

The last time I had to pop the joint between the drag link and the Pitman arm, I used this ball joint separator, which came as part of the OTC front end set:

Hammering on it to break the taper is not recommended, because of the risk (however small) of damaging the Pitman arm seal or the sector shaft. I've successfully used the hammering technique to pop other joints though, where they go through solid metal - like on the steering knuckle.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2016, 02:51:32 PM »

Nice one Bryn

LairdScooby

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 11:01:50 PM »

Congrats on the MoT! I've often had to hammer one of those type ball joint splitters into the joint just to get it in the gap! Can't find mine at the moment, last time i had it was to change the steering box on my XJ (and typing that has just reminded me where it most likely is! Need it soon for something else - upper wishbones on my 827 Sterling) but hopefully i'll exhume it soon.

Seems silly to fail on a couple of £2.50 bushes but we've all been there - i had a Cortina fail on rear fog lights once - both bulbs blew on the ramp!  :icon_rolleyes:

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2016, 06:42:42 AM »

You get a fail for blown globes? That will get you a comment over here, but that's all. As the law states that a spare set of main globes must be carried in the car at all times, most drivers will change/ replace on the spot.

LairdScooby

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2016, 09:57:55 AM »

We have some strange rules for the MoT here. One "rule of thumb" is "if it's fitted it must work" but this doesn't apply to everything. For example, if i fitted aftermarket front fog lights, they must work whereas a standard factory fit rear wash/wipe doesn't have to! Re the rear fog light fail i had, the nearside one went as they switched them on first time so they switched them off then on again and the drivers side went! If the drivers side had stayed on, it would have passed with an advisory that the nearside wasn't working - all down to the "Obligatory Lamps" laws as some cars only have rear fogs on the drivers side.

That said, we don't have to carry a spare set of bulbs so it's swings and roundabouts i suppose.

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2016, 10:45:24 AM »

Swings and roundabouts for sure! For years over here, the Govt decreed that between 1st November and the 1st of March, all vehicles must have headlights on at all times, whilst driving...6 months ago, that was changed and now the lights must be on regardless of the time of year.

I have a clever little thingy on my Golf which turns mine on as soon as the engine is running...and off again when engine stops. It was too easy to forget the lights on a bright sunny day!

Fog light/s are only mandatory on the rear, regardless of what you have fitted...I have a pair of low mounted LEDs on the front of mine and they work with the auto switch as well...they are focused to hit the ground at about 35 metres, so cause no problems to oncoming vehicles.

LairdScooby

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2016, 11:32:47 AM »

Kind of pointless having a headlight switch really! Strange govt you have over there! Nice idea on the front frogs though, i bought a set of el-cheapo front fogs on ebay for my Jeep a while back but they're useless as fog lights so have bought some low (ish) output H3 LED bulbs for them and will fit them as Day Running Lights on it instead.

Weird how some countries insist on certain mandatory things and others don't though.

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2016, 01:25:58 PM »

Totally agree with what you said about our strange govt...it would take all day to list some of their other clever 'ideas'!

YT (Phil) is the man to talk with about the best set ups for LED fogs and day running lights.

The headlight switch on mine isn't quite redundant yet...the auto thingy allows low beam and warning flash function only. To get the complete Park/clearance - Lo - Hi - Flash and Fog settings, I have to use the main switch which disables the auto one until I turn the main one off again. Hope that makes sense.  :icon_winkle:

It would be helpful if all countries read from the same page.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up