Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: XJ MOT Failures  (Read 9799 times)

LairdScooby

Re: XJ MOT Failures
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2016, 02:01:39 PM »

That all makes sense about the auto-headlamp-on and the headlamp switch.  :icon_biggrin:

Our govt also did something strange in 1986, they introduced "Dim-dip" headlights where the headlights would come on at about half power on dipped beams if the sidelights were on and the engine was running. Most of the world adopted this very quickly and it was the norm until the mid 90s when the EU said we were being discriminatory having that law and said we had to revoke it. Some manufacturers stopped fitting dim-dip immediately (mainly French) where others still fit it, even now!

Classic example of all countries not reading from the same page!

YT/Phil has put some useful links on page 2 of this thread, about halfway down :

http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=28379.25

Mainly for CREE headlamp bulbs and also light bars. The LED bulbs i bought for these fog lights are only about 200Lm so fall into the category for DRLs (just!) and round here they don't seem to bother too much about lighting regs - there are loads of US-spec cars running with Right Hand Dip headlamps - a real pain when driving at night! Because we drive on the left here we need Left Hand Dip. Un fortunately it seems the people that check their cars out don't realise that RHD on a headlamp lens means Right Hand DIP and not Right Hand Drive!  :icon_rolleyes:

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2016, 04:03:04 PM »

I know what you mean about the wrong spec headlights being used...and they are very hot on them over here. Folks who bring their cars from the UK usually cop a hard time from the cops...and it will be a MOT fail or stern comment, if you're lucky.

When I got my RHD KJ over here, I was lucky enough to hear of another owner in Spain who was moving back to the UK and looking for a suitable set...a very quick swap occurred between us and we were both sorted in less than a week with no money changing hands. My rear fog was on the wrong side, but I cured that by fitting one to the other side, giving me two...double protection!  :icon_winkle:

LairdScooby

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2016, 05:37:13 PM »

Shame they're not so hot on it here - even the local cops moan about it, especially if they're on a "shout" and have to slow down because they're being dazzled by something with the wrong headlamps!

Bonus getting your KJ sorted that way though - for both of you!

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2016, 06:20:34 PM »

Yeah...it was a bonus for both of us! He ended up with the correct headlights AND the correct speedo clock cluster and so did I!

Well chuffed with all that.

LairdScooby

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2016, 11:35:28 PM »

Yeah...it was a bonus for both of us! He ended up with the correct headlights AND the correct speedo clock cluster and so did I!

Well chuffed with all that.

If only life could be like that all the time!  :icon_biggrin:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up