Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuck XJ cut out & won't restart  (Read 2532 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Stuck XJ cut out & won't restart
« on: January 23, 2016, 09:44:12 PM »

Sooo I might need yet more advice on the XJ.

We took it out laning this afternoon and managed to get quite quickly stuck on a mound of mud. We spent a good 40 minutes stuffing rocks under the wheels to try to unstick it, but in the middle of this it randomly cut out completely. Electrics are all fine, but the engine just totally died.

We tried restarting and it isn't firing at all.

I don't know if it could be temperature related - the XJ has been running cool since it's had a load of work done, and this is the first time it's been hot enough to get the electric fan on.

We're heading back in the ZJ shortly to see if we can tow it to a road for the AA to recover, but it'd really help matters if I could get it started!

dtooth

Re: Stuck XJ cut out & won't restart
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:18:49 AM »

Is it dead dead (check battery , cps) does the fuel pump come on but won't turn over starter motor / cable connections or dirty NSS gearbox .

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 07:52:25 AM »

So, two hours later once it had cooled down again it started up like nothing ever happened - definitely seems to be a heat problem. Got it unstuck with the ZJ and drove 20 miles home safely.

When it wouldn't start the fuel pump was running, and it would crank perfectly, just wouldn't fire at all. Would this sound like a failing CPS?

dtooth

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 09:17:08 AM »

Cps failure would not let the Jeep turn over or fuel pump run . I'm currently have a similar problem .
My XJ  starts ,runs and drives at first but once it gets to normal operating Temperature it dies and although it we starts it won't run until its cooled down again .
So far I've replaced the cps , lambda, ,temp sender, tps been through all the earth's and cleared the ECU connections no luck so far . 

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 10:12:43 AM »

:iagree: CPS is pos on the way out
also look at the neutral safety switch is a common fault on XJ's

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 11:31:38 AM »

what about ignition coil pack?? - think I remember someone else with a similar issue
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 11:48:28 AM »

Dave, am I right in thinking that if it was the NSS it wouldn't even turn over? There have also never been any issues with the reversing lights - don't they usually play up if the NSS is dirty?

The coil and CPS have never been touched, so could be likely candidates I guess

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 12:08:25 PM »

That s correct it would not turn over.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »

Quick question - where's best to get a CPS? There are some on eBay for not much money, but is this something that I should spend more on for OEM?

Green Jeep

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 04:39:05 PM »

Quick question - where's best to get a CPS? There are some on eBay for not much money, but is this something that I should spend more on for OEM?

Don't buy the cheap stuff, ADL is a better quality, I have fitted a couple and all been fine... or buy from Lighthouose/Jeep parts
Pages: [1]   Go Up