Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering easier left than right...steering box seals?  (Read 1095 times)

Graham

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
Steering easier left than right...steering box seals?
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:59:45 PM »

I'm after some help with steering on my ZJ.  Turning the wheel left feels easier than turning right and there's always a left "pull" when trying to drive straight. I have tried a flat road and the pull is still there but it's like the steering centre is happy at about the 11 o'clock position.

Tyres are new, tyre pressures are equal.

Reading various articles online suggest that the piston seals inside the steering box may be the cause, with unequal hydraulic pressure on the steering gear.

Has anyone rebuilt a steering box with a new seal kit?  Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Delk

Re: Steering easier left than right...steering box seals?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »

I just rebuilt my box with a seal kit from the States. Its a fiddly job to say the least.

I don't think the piston seals would be the fault. The only time they see pressure is when you are turning and the rotary valve in the top end forces the fluid to change direction for steering.

My first axle in my Tj used to pull to one side a bit. Ended up the camber was off on one side and I needed an offset ball joint to fix it. Once that was installed it ran true as could be until I bent the housing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up