Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post dashboard removal electrical gremlins!  (Read 2081 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Post dashboard removal electrical gremlins!
« on: July 21, 2015, 01:28:27 PM »

Good afternoon all! I've been away from here for a little while lately, but have been spending lots of time giving the XJ some love. I've replaced all of the cooling system components, including the leaky heater core.
All seems to have gone well, but after reassembling the dashboard it would appear that something electrical is having some problems. I know that I need to go back and redo all of the electrical connections, but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of which ones could be causing my symptoms:

• The engine cranks but doesn't start. It smells of petrol so fuel is pumping.
  • On the two occasions it did start, it cut out after 2 seconds (SKIM issue)
  • Overhead console lights don't work at all, but cargo area light is permanently lit
  • Gauges don't work
My friend's OBD reader pulled a P1698 code, meaning no CCD message from TCM/PCM.
There's also another code that says the key is the incorrect one (neither key works, nor do the fobs), but the dash light isn't lit. With a lot of fiddling with the code reader, the SKIM light finally lit up on the dash, and the car started and stayed running, but the light didn't disappear (the opposite of how it's supposed to work!?)

I assume these issues are all interlinked so would appreciate it if someone could guide me as to which wires need attention! I only left one wire disconnected, and that was a small white connector with two pins that was at the bottom of the steering column harness, by the knee bolster. I couldn't find anywhere to plug it in at all.

Sorry to come running for help like this, but I'm just not sure where to start!

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Re: Post dashboard removal electrical gremlins!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:08:05 PM »

The symptoms you've got are probably cause by one bad connection or a wire shirting to ground somewhere. When this happens the code reader is probably not as much help as it should be. I have had it a couple of times but my fixes were a cps wire melted to the exhaust manifold and a weird immobiliser skis problem fixed when I changed the battery.

Do you have the full factory workshop manual? I will have a little think and might take a look at mine tonight or tomorrow to see where the white connector goes.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 08:42:18 PM »

That would be helpful, thanks James. I have got the manual, but not much time to read it at the moment as I'm spending this week packing for a move!

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:21:59 PM »

A bottle of red has just been opened so it will be tomorrow before I look for the connector.

A few ideas (all very basic so don't take offence): make sure battery is fully charged and good. Disconnect it for a bit, undo all accessible connector and re-connect them. Check fuses. Check for connectors you might have forgotten about. Try again and don't panic, compared to the newer Jeeps the XJ electricals aren't too complicated.

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 10:42:49 PM »

I don't have a 98 FSM but the 99 shows cargo lamp/switch. Can it be switched on and left on? Is there also a switch that can be turned to off for the console lights?

Cluster gets constant 12V from 16 in the PDC and switched 12V from fuse 9 in the junction block.

I can't find a connector matching the description other than possible in one diagram. Could it be the brake interlock solenoid connector which would only be used in autos I think, and left disconnected in manuals.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 09:24:47 PM »

Thank you guys, and James, I don't take any offense to basic suggestions!

When I get the chance I'll definitely be removing the knee panel on the driver's side, the steering column, and redo all of those connections.

Jonny, I think you're right. From studying the FSM I think I've discovered that my mystery white connector should be the interlock solenoid connector. The interlock mechanism wasn't connected when I removed the steering wheel shroud, probably a result of when the ignition barrel was changed years ago, so I don't think this electrical connector was plugged in either, hence my not knowing where it went!

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 08:11:26 PM »

I have a positive update on this now, but still require advice!

I've spent all day redoing all of the electrical connections, with absolutely zero change in symptoms.

I finally had one more look and realised that one of the connectors at the driver's footwell junction block that I previously thought was left empty, actually had wear on the prongs. Half an hour of hunting later and I found a small connector that had got tied up behind the dashboard so had been missed despite lots of searching!

Everything electrical is now behaving completely normally, except that when I but the key in the immobiliser light shows up, and the car does nothing when I turn the key! Where should I start to look to sort this?

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »

I've now found some more issues too...

Since I last tried them earlier, I now have no side lights, indicators or hazard lights. Earlier I checked every fuse and they were all good.

This is driving me insane - any help would really be appreciated!

Bishops Finger

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 10:05:19 PM »

Disconnect the battery for 20 minutes...

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 12:46:20 PM »

:imwitstupid: definitely worth a try.

Having a weak battery can also give funny symptoms so maybe stick it on charge too.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 06:27:43 PM »

The battery has been on a trickle charger for ages, unfortunately, and I tried again with another key and still nothing. The remote central locking is working on the other remote though.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 02:05:28 PM »

The XJ is alive!!!

I had a friend come to look at it this morning, and all of the yesterday's problems were caused by a big connector that I hadn't tightened sufficiently in my rush to try to fix everything!
Disconnected and reconnected and it fired right up  :icon_super: :icon_super:

I've taken it out for a spin, and everything electrical is working perfectly, the clockspring isn't damaged, the new cooling system is keeping it at the perfect temperature, and the heater is toasty!  :003: :003:

I'm really, really happy with it!

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 02:47:57 PM »

:icon_super:

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 03:04:59 PM »

:icon_super:....the persistance paid off. Well done.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 02:23:38 AM »

Well cool

gordy

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 09:09:57 AM »

Glad to hear, good work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up