Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: just a wonder realy for cj owners i think  (Read 3887 times)

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
just a wonder realy for cj owners i think
« on: March 07, 2010, 11:39:51 AM »

looking at the forum in general i am wondering if the older jeep products need there own area as the tech and general areas are as you would expect dominated by newer jeep products mainly tech problems

i dont want to make waves or do anything that detracts from the the thrust of birtys as a cause of good in jeepland

i sort of wonder if we lumped all tha amc era jeeps and mindy yota bj40 and genaraly classic jeeps and 4x4s in to a a classic old iron area
apart from landrover clubs that seem to cater better for ther vintage iron other groups seem to have largly not noticed much

what do you think or am i just full of crap ?

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Re: just a wonder realy for cj owners i think
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »

:imwitstupid: but if i remember right we did it b4 for a short while and it was pulled, dunno why tho
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

ferretjuggler

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 12:17:24 PM »

Great idea if it can be made to work :icon_super:
We could form a radical jeep fundamentalist splinter group and start a Jihad against microprocessors  :lol_hitting:
I'd suggest restricting it to Jeep products and licence built jeeps.
I think the early 'Yotas are great vehicles but once you lets other makes in you can't keep the dreaded green  :078: oval   out really :greggmo:

Leaf sprung only might be a good cut off point :017:

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:37:14 PM »

C'mon guys, I love to read how the iron cogs and steel beams made and operated by hammer wielding Pensylvania redneck foundry workers sometimes gives up
on your traditional machines. :098:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 04:59:47 PM »

Dont know about others but I like the all inclusive nature & I think the fact that you can ask about old ironmongery & say the latest JK all in the same area's is cool.

Anybody got an app for this  :hysterical: :hysterical:

I read about loads of old stuff in tech because its there. I would probably not read so much if it were a seperate place.

I suppose a pole would be the easiest way to see what folk think.

Seperate the older Jeep stuff for easier navigation Yes / No

Seperate & expand the older stuff Yes / No

Leave it alone Yes / No

:sign0004:

Taking ya girl to heaven & back

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:22:18 PM »

i do sort of like the all intogethernes but at times i think you would have to search for cj stuff we did split it once but it was too splintered

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Nosebolt

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:32:35 PM »

i see where Bubba is coming from, personally i have no knowledge or intrest in later model maintenance issues,

would be nice to maybe have a section for say up to the 80's but bear in mind we have tried this before but with too many sections it got booring so IMHO if we do this we need a single before and after.

separately we do have some worthwhile resources on here and a new forum for derivatives would be valuable to the comunity and would keep the main jeep forums undiluted.

I'm probably generalising but does it seem those with newer vehicles are more intrested in older stuff than those with older are in newer?

Lornaben

• Lord of the Mindy ring
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: CJ3B (Mindy)
    • Mahindra Register
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:52:54 PM »

separately we do have some worthwhile resources on here and a new forum for derivatives would be valuable to the comunity and would keep the main jeep forums undiluted.

:iagree:
I wouldn't want to see any seperatist / splinter groups though  :violence:

We're all here cos of our interest in Jeeps whether it was made in USA. Austria, Greece or wherever.

But maybe a slight organising of types in the Tech area would make navigating to the right answer easier .....

Whilst I read almost everything that's posted cos I'm a nosey git  :003:, If I were to search for a specific subject it might be easier to search a 'CJ section' rather than the entire site getting results back that include loads of posts saying "the later CJ's had them but cherokee never did .. blah de blah" which would hide the answer I was really after 2 pages later ... If ya see what I mean.
Likewise Grand owners would be searching through the 'Cherokee?' section for the same reason ....

Hope that makes sense  :banghead:

:003:

ferretjuggler

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 06:26:09 PM »

Lornaben wrote
I wouldn't want to see any seperatist / splinter groups though 

Don't panic Alan, I wasn't being serious there :017:

Remember Kev's offbeat quizes? Where's this?/What's this?

They were well popular under "general", but then got moved to a new "military" and died a death.

Didn't someone on here start a dedicated CJ forum? I think that died too.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 07:22:15 PM »

i stopped the doing the quizz cos crimbo was over and it was a bit of fun whilst every one was off can easy restart anytime

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 08:31:30 PM »

I can see the point of just splitting tech into CJ (Jurassic ironmongery) & say 89 onwards (comfy, with heaters etc) but don't fragment it further  :hysterical:

Taking ya girl to heaven & back

Lornaben

• Lord of the Mindy ring
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: CJ3B (Mindy)
    • Mahindra Register
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 12:19:10 PM »

Don't panic Alan, I wasn't being serious there :017:

:003: I realised that matey, I had deleted half the post trying to explain myself and that bit got left behind.

I was being flippant to start with and It was really funny when I first typed it   :ecomcity: :jpshakehead:

:003:

Just to add to the debate a bit more, I couldn't find this post this morning so used the search. OK so I only used CJ as the search text but I got masses of returns before this page showed up .....

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 02:51:26 PM »

We tried it a couple of years back. I was a big advocate of splitting it into sections, but soon came
to see that it didn't work.

1) People didn't know where to post - not everyone knows what vehicle they have, so they posted wherever
they thought best, or not at all (and found another forum). To many, a Jeep is a Jeep, regardless of whether it
says Cherokee, Suzuki, or Defender on it.

2) We have members whose knowledge spans many models, but they didn't want to click on different forums to
see the tech.

As I recall, traffic decreased, and most posts were bitching about it being hard to use, so it was swapped
back to one tech very quickly.

Perhaps we could have some little icons - the ones that go in the lift of the subject - that denote what
kind of vehicle it's for.

Nosebolt

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 06:11:26 PM »

understand where you are coming from Tim but recon if it was a straight year split say "up to 1989" and "1990 onwards" then people only need look at their number plate to see where to post.

as far as not wanting to read two forums, that shouldn't really be an issue now as we have the latest posts button and that shows new post from all forums
Pages: [1]   Go Up