Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CJ7 Fuel line driver / passenger side  (Read 1806 times)

djrr6

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7 AMC 360 5 gear wobbly thing
  • Year: 1981
CJ7 Fuel line driver / passenger side
« on: December 29, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »

I’m just after finding out from people which side their fuel lines run on the cj7?

Mine run down the drivers side and I have a fuel line and vapour but no return line.

I have been looking into replacing them and sorted out the pipe but looking online it seems that v8 lines run down the passenger side?
Is this the case for all jeeps apart from the 2.5? I am going to ditch the vapour anyway And not really bothered which side they run down however I want to make sure the pre vent pipes fit

Cheers

Mike Pavelin

Re: CJ7 Fuel line driver / passenger side
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »

My 258 ran supply down the offside and return down the nearside.

5536paulj

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 11:49:06 AM »

Unless you're wanting originality you can run the pipes either side, just be careful of proximity to exhaust manifolds. Mine's v8 and both are on passenger side which is not original, but neither is the engine!!

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »

Nice one.

On a completely different subject do you both have stock exhaust on your 360’s or do you have purpose made?

I’m deciding whether to get a lighthouse y pipe for lots land lots of cash or whether I need to get it made as not sure where the pipe crosses over the sump or gearbox as I don’t have an old one to look at?

I want to see if it clears the gearbox as the AX15 in mine sits a bit wider than my standard jeep box

5536paulj

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 10:42:10 PM »

Couldn't make the standard y-pipe work with the suspension lift as it hit the front driveshaft so I have side pipes, which I don't recommend as they're loud and can get bashed off road.

why not go custom, nowt wrong with the stock manifolds by the way, headers won't flow much better

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »

That’s good to know as not much point buying standard if I would need to cut and carve it up anyway.

Cheers for advice and aim to use standard manifolds as long as I can get the nuts off without breaking the studs.

5536paulj

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 11:29:52 AM »

If I'd gone with a conventional exhaust I would have joined the pipes after the transfer case, not between engine and gearbox where there isn't much room, probably will one day when the side pipes or headers rust through.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 07:55:39 PM »

mine run the passenger side, as above run them where you want but avoid the exhaust where possible.

mad my exhaust from stainless sections and clamped together. individual parts sourced from flea bay
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 08:36:40 PM »

Cheers going to buy some clips and put a line down either side as that’s the way the new stainless versions appear to have been bent

I aim to get some temporary exhaust parts then have one made but just wanted a way to put temporary on for now as need something if / when it runs as will set fire to the paintwork and be far too loud without !

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 09:14:50 PM »

I have the feed running up the LHS and the return running down the RHS. This suited my custom tank and fuelling point

eastryjeep

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 03:55:10 PM »

On a 6/258 the feed line runs up the off side to a short piece of rubber hose to the mechanical fuel pump, vapou and spill line run back on nearside.
That said, if you have fitted an electric pump I dont see it can make much difference except that the fuel might be a little cooler when it reaches the engine if you avoid the exhaust.
Pages: [1]   Go Up