Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shimano thumb shifters  (Read 16622 times)

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2005, 12:16:41 PM »

Fascinating website 'UK', they now do an electronic version with a 'flick' switch that acts exactly as a hand throttle, complete with on / off switch for safety !

UKJeeper

(No subject)
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2005, 12:43:04 PM »

Quote from: "EvilEd"
but I am happy using my right hand.....

:shock:

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2005, 12:55:50 PM »

Brings a whole new meaning to a "sticky Throttle" *Groan*

UKJeeper

(No subject)
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2005, 01:01:09 PM »

Somehow reminds me of the heavy breather who called up the woman and said

"if you can guess what i have in my hand you can have it"

She replies

"if it only needs one hand to hold it, i don't want it!"

:wink:

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2005, 01:27:06 PM »

THats quite funny :lol:

Suspect Ed's on the phone at the moment......

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2005, 03:32:20 PM »

:D who me......

Nah, crappy Works laptop just trashes itself every time I more it lately.... Really must put it in to be fixed.... trouble is I'm using it all the time...

Mick O

• Mickosaurus
  • Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2005, 03:40:12 PM »

Errr.......back to the thumb shifters.......

I think Matts avatar shows what could happen if a hand throttle went wrong, or got knocked on by mistake.

If ya going to have one, put it where it can't be operated by accident 8)  :smt025
I'm not a complete idiot.......................some bits are missing

AKA Jurassic O

horobi

(No subject)
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2005, 04:00:52 PM »

hmmm........ being in possesion of a thumb throttle.... I can see potential problems but no more so that a wet or muddy boot sliding onto the wrong pedal at the wrong time!  :shock:

The other thing is that mine is set up to have a lot of travel (as they should be) i'd have to knock it up and over through over 180 degrees to cause a problem and that just isn't gonna happen and it's also spring loaded it's not as if there is no resistance.....

my CJ had it fitted when I got it and I probably wouldn't have chosen to fit one myself but it does come in handy........

:smt028

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2005, 04:05:34 PM »

Just another thought, the Paj comes with one as standard. Who remembers the old "choke" twist to hold cables.... it's done with one of them.... I'm sure you could get one of them easily from a breakers... it's always in unless you are using it, and to make it lock on, you have to pull then twist....

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2005, 04:11:46 PM »

Now that's an interestin' idea. :-k
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

horobi

(No subject)
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2005, 04:23:13 PM »

hmmmm..... not just a pretty face that Ed.....  :smt118

With all this talk about safety I was also thinkin about some kinda sysem where by the throttle would 'snap' back if pushed beyond a couple o thousand revs.... some kinda rachety cammy release type affair.....

or maybe I should just keep quiet.....

:smt100

UKJeeper

(No subject)
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2005, 05:08:34 PM »

Note of caution:

Mate of mine knocked hand throttle at a somewhat inopportune moment while going through the lake at Jfest. Ended up rolling over into the lake!  :shock:

horobi

(No subject)
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2005, 06:10:44 PM »

hmmm...... I think caution is ALWAYS important and obviously a hand throttle should be treated accordingly....

I'm sure that the person in the above example had larger tyres and a lift which would rasied the Jeeps centre of gravity sufficiently enough to warrant a fair degree of caution but I can't remember hearing anyone saying no-one should lift their Jeeps or put larger tyres on them.....

From a shunt in a car park to Jenson Button twatting the wall at Monaco at 170 miles an hour reducing DRIVER ERROR is what needs working on 99% of the time........

Each to there own though.....

:D

horobi

(No subject)
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2005, 07:21:27 PM »

Just a little extra note to say that I hope your mate was OK and no-one was hurt Ukjeeper..........

shep

(No subject)
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »

never found my hand throttle to be a problem

my lever runs along in line with the gear stick when no revs are on
never catch it or even come close

also depends what side gear lever you have and what side you fit it
to the gear stick, mine is fitted on the passenger side of the gear lever and you click it towards the back of the jeep to put more revs on

do all the people having problems have the lever sticking out anything upto 90degrees to the gear lever, making it easier to catch and put the revs on ??? needing the lever to be moved towards the front of the jeep and up to put the revs on ? making it easier to catch by accident

:-k

kizer

(No subject)
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2005, 06:49:35 AM »

Heres a few links on the Hand throttle Install
http://www.links4jeeps.com/search.php?w ... 20throttle

I use my hand throttle for climbing when I need 3 feet or when Im going to stall out I can flip the hand throttle up a bit and maintain idle with out killing it.

I highly, highly, highly advice that you loosen the hand throttle so that when you let go the spring from the throttle body forces the RPM down on the hand throttle so you dont accidently hit the throttle with your hand and have an out of control run.

Now if you need to lock the throttle down for say winching. Make sure you have the U shapped clip on the side of the hand throttle so you can tighten the shifter for that time you feel you have to lock it into posistion for winching or jump starting somebody else.

Its my favorite mod of all of them. Ok, its not better than my Tummy Tuck, but hey for a few bucks its great.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up