Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4.0l - Oil Pressure Sender  (Read 853 times)

PtP

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Stourbridge, West Midlands
4.0l - Oil Pressure Sender
« on: January 29, 2010, 03:15:15 PM »

When I very first had my TJ around 4 years back, the oil pressure gauge on the 4.0l used to just go up and down like a yo-yo, but this was soon fixed with a new pressure sender unit from Lighthouse. (I subsequently discovered that this is a common problem). Since then the gauge has been fine and has always shown a stable reading; that is until I had the drain-plug blow out the bottom of my radiator back at the Turkey Hunt and the oil pressure switch was blasted with hot water and loads of steam. Once the radiator plug was fixed, I noticed the oil pressure gauge going up and down again, so another £30+ :icon_sad: later I fitted a new oil pressure switch from Lighthouse. But before I fitted it I took a look at the ruined one and with hind sight I reckon I could have easily salvaged it. :icon_rolleyes:

The plastic covering sleeve can quite easily be prised off to expose all the innards. Now, I'm assuming water/moisture must have found its way in here and I suspect that had I thoroughly dried out the inside and re-assembled it, I would have probably had a working sender unit. The only way I could see moisture getting in was via the orange rubber/silicone seal, so I decided with the new one to give this area a careful smear of Locktite  Silicone Seal to hopefully prevent water/moisture ingress in the future.

If anyone else has a gauge yo-yoing, then you might just save yourself having to buy a new one.

Here are a few photos, which might help in my explanation:

The old one already prised open

My unopened new one - just sealed
Peter

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
Re: 4.0l - Oil Pressure Sender
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:29:30 PM »

the thread on these are IIRC 1/4bsp tapered. you could source another pressure switch from another manufacturer but you will have to make an adaptor as most of these are just bsp threads. Obviously source one with a two pin connector.  Another sealant is fish tank silicone, this type is liquid resistance. If your gauge is going full range then quite possibly it is toast but maybe worth following Pete's investigation to see if the contact just need cleaning and the unit resealing.

Nice investigation there Pete, never realy thought about taking one apart as i thought they were just sealed units but now they can be serviced
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
Re: 4.0l - Oil Pressure Sender
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:07:36 PM »

i didnt think of taking it apart either, went in the bin  :icon_sad:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland
Pages: [1]   Go Up