Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2001 3.1 td gc diff oils  (Read 1135 times)

kevslh

2001 3.1 td gc diff oils
« on: February 04, 2010, 08:41:02 PM »

Hi all
About to change my diff oil front and back, is it ok to use 75/140 GL5 synthetic gear oil in both axles also how much friction additive do i need to put in each axle.
Can  you also tell me what automatic transmission fluid i need for the auto box and where can i buy it from.
Any help would be appreciated
Kev

Asylum

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

kevslh

Re: 2001 3.1 td gc diff oils
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 12:05:38 AM »

Asylum thanks for your reply, i read the link but it doesn't tell you if or how much friction additive you need. Mine has got Quadra-TracII on the gearshift panel so i dont know if it has lsd or not.
Kev

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:17:25 AM »

None. You have open diffs.

kevslh

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 11:05:58 PM »

Mike thanks, so does that mean I have std axles both front and back, so can I just use normal 75W90 GL5 gear oil in both axles.
Also what atf can I use in the auto gearbox, preferably one I can get from a local motor factors rather than having to pay a fortune at the dealers.
Thanks for your help
Kevin 

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:04:51 AM »

Like I said, you have open diffs The factory reccomends 75W90 for these, but personally, I would use the 75/140 fully synthetic anyway knowing the Jeep's appetite for diff bearings. As far as transmission fluid is concerned, only ATF+4 will do. Chrysler transmissions user different friction materials to GM and Ford, and so Dexron and Mercon fluids will not do. Valvoline and Mobil do make ATF+4 compatible fluids but I don't know how easy they are to find in the UK aftermarket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up