Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5td help what veggy oil?  (Read 11265 times)

GREGBLACK

2.5td help what veggy oil?
« on: April 11, 2010, 11:31:51 AM »

I know nothing about veggie oils whats sort should I use is sunflower oil suitable and what mix ratio, I ask because I have just had to pay £1.24.9 a litre for diesel.

cheers Greg

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
Re: 2.5td help what veggy oil?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »

how can the petrol companies charge a tenth of a penny when it's not legal tender ?
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 03:50:56 PM »

very good point mr dave

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »

Believe it or not you have a variance in the pump - yep you are double shafted!!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »

Alfa 147 jtdm

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 09:41:44 PM »

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 09:41:55 PM »

Barticus?
"Not all those who wander are lost"

GREGBLACK

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 08:41:50 AM »

Hi thanks for the links guys I had already seen them and that is what made me ask what sort of vegetable oil are you using is it a soya oil, sun flower oil, linseed rape or something else? what do you buy at the supermarket or cash and carry?.
I always read as many links as I can before I ask questions, but if I go to the cash and carry and ask for vegetable oil they are going ask what sort.
Cheers Greg

ivanidea

• Expat - Livin' the dream...
  • Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler JL - 2dr Willys
  • Year: 2021
  • Florida
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 09:05:52 AM »

I always thought the cheapest oil was used. 

I have not read of any particular oil being specified, and would assume any advantage to a particular type would be negligible.
Current Jeep: 2021 Willys 2dr 3.6 Auto. Sarge Green + Tan Top.
Former Jeep (USA): 2016 Renegade 2.4L 75th Anniversary 4WD Auto.
Former Jeeps (UK): 2000 Cherokee 2.5TD Sport Manual, 2001 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual, 2008 Liberty 2.8CRD Limited Auto, 2011 JKU 2.5CRD Limited Auto.

The Smiths

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 09:31:13 AM »

Order of preference (but let the price guide you, especially as it is no longer winter)

Sunflower
Rapeseed
Soya

These are the main 3, and are in the order of gelling point (when cold).  The engine will run on most things (some run engines on old motor oil, hydraulic oil.... wouldn't like to see there emmisions though)

If on offer at Tesco and rapeseed (normal "veg" oil) and sunflower where the same price - I would get sunflower.  If rapeseed was 1p/L less then I would get raoeseed :icon_rolleyes:
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

GREGBLACK

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 10:50:30 AM »

Hi thanks guys thats what I wanted to know.
 I will see whats on offer at the cash and carry I use.
cheers greg

onoil

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 06:22:26 PM »

I thought rapeseed had a lower cloud point than sunflower?
either way I run on 90% rapeseed, just dont get a bad batch like I just did!

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »

how do you know when you have a bad batch ?.....it's a bit late once it's in the tank
Alfa 147 jtdm

The Smiths

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 06:44:42 PM »

I thought rapeseed had a lower cloud point than sunflower?

nope - sunflower has lower gel point, and is less viscous in the first place
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got

onoil

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 09:43:47 PM »

rapeseed husks in the bottom of the barrel would indicate a bad batch!
unless you dont bother to look and chuck it in as I did :jpshakehead:

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 10:50:36 PM »

Wonderful advert for diesel.

The Smiths

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 09:23:51 AM »

Wonderful advert for diesel.

Yep - think everyone should stick to it :greggmo:, and leave veg oil available :icon_biggrin:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 10:16:52 AM »

quite daft realy, since diesel was a by product of the petrol refining process and was used as a cheaper alternative for the slower vehicle or work horse. Now the sludge is priced dearer than the fuel it was supposed to replace.

since more people are using the veg oil in older cars i'm surprised the tax police haven't put a buying limit on bulk oil or put a tax levy on it if you can't prove it's for culinary/catering needs.
Alfa 147 jtdm

The Smiths

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 03:42:46 PM »

since more people are using the veg oil in older cars i'm surprised the tax police haven't put a buying limit on bulk oil or put a tax levy on it if you can't prove it's for culinary/catering needs.

They have addressed the issue - and said you can use 2500L before needing to pay duty on it - if you use more than this then it is your responsibilty to tell them that you owe them money

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 06:29:30 PM »

shame they couldn't do this for petrol  :hysterical:
Alfa 147 jtdm

brian reid

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 06:31:29 PM »

i use sunflower oil when it can get it,if your in the uk,try asda or tesco,there doing 3ltr bottles where you get 2 for £5.00,think that works out around £0.83 per ltr,,,,if you have a costco near you you can get 20ltr drums of soya oil at around £0.70 per ltr,,,massive saving!!!

sunflower oil is thin and flows well,corn oil is also good if you can get it cheap,soya oil is a wee bit thicker but i use this also and no problems,but all are best mixed with a gallon of diesel at least i reckon,i have ran on pure oil,but you never know what the next moring is going to be like,a cold start on veg oil is a hard start,new heater plugs are a must,there not expencive to replace,other than that no problems,give it a go if you have an xj or grand with vm in,if you are not impressed then i am a  banana,there is no differnece if power,i reckon i am getting more mpg and i am not killing the planet,,,the emisions are, i am told, half,an mot should be breeze on the smoke test,mines has never failed,infact once they smell it they dont even bother testing now.

in the winter you can still run veg,but you will have to increase the amount of diesel you add,i do 50/50 to around 70/30,its trial and error,but those heater plugs are important,in the cold morings give the car two or three blast on the plugs before you start to crank,the flash point is a wee bit higher on veg so she may cough her way into life,but once running you will not have any bother for the rest of the day,i leave her 5/10 mins on cold moring to warm up a bit,but thats just me,you can drive right away,dont let you tank gt low,the oil will pull everything in your tank up into the filter and you will have to change it out,if your going to do a filter change,run her on diesel,changing a filter full of veg oil is a pain in the arse and messy,

the engine will sound better,and there will be very little if any smoke compaired with diesel running

best of luck,let us know how you get on

brian reid

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 08:09:02 PM »

oh another small point,you can use 2500 ltrs of veg oil per year and stay legal in the uk as fuel for your car,thnk this was brought in last year or the year before,but you are ment to keep you receipts for buying the oil,how they can inforce this i dont know,if you were stopped you going to tell them you just started using it a few days ago arent you!!!!!!!!!

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 08:11:52 PM »

and another small point, you can fry chips in it too  :greggmo:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

GREGBLACK

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 08:34:37 PM »

Hi Brian I am definitely going to do this, problem is I can not find anywhere that stocks anything over one litre bottles and I don't fancy pouring 40 or 50 bottles in  at a time. Actually I am only 30miles out of Glasgow but I never really go there, I got to Newcastle twice a month but time is limited down there. I might try Tesco in Lanark and see if the will order bigger bottles in currently they only stock one litre bottles and it is the same at Asda Hamilton there must be someone that carries 5 litre  or bigger in stock.
Cheers Greg

brian reid

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 07:02:21 PM »

asda or tesco not selling 3 ltrs bottle,you must be looking in the wrong place,ask the staff,the asda in hamilton will have it i am sure,how ever this did happen some time ago,i remember not being able to get 3 ltrs bottles at one point a few years ago,everyone was buying it for there cars and taxi,s etc.

i live in kirkintilloch,maybe we could come to some arrangement when i am going into cosco,but it would be better if you could get it local in your area.

there is a place in hamilton that sells bio diesel at around 0.80p per ltr,but you have to be there easrly in the morning as he can be sold out by 10am,taxi,s queing for the stuff,there is also another place in glasgow selling bio diesel,they will delivers in 50gal drummer to your door,used this stuff before and its great,think the last price i got was 0.88p per ltr, if this is an option for you.

i know how you feel,its getting beyond a joke running the jeep week in week out at pump prices,yes could get shot of her,but this winter she has been priceless,never missed a day off work in the bad snow and she has never let me down,while other people car were left at the side of the road for days on end.

if you are not sure,but in a small amount and just increase it as you go,thats how i started out,thought i was going to wreck my engine becasue of all the spin i had been hearing,4 years,50k miles,never let me down,running like a dream,,we went to blackpool and back on a full tank of the stuff,pure veg oil,then a few gal just out side glasgow to get us up the road,but at that time i was getting corn oil for....£0.46p per ltr,,,those were the days!!!!

alsso you may want to look into making you own bio diesel from waste oil,all you need is a source if waste veg cooking oil and the right kits to clean it up,check out youtube for more info,just type in bio diesel

regards brian
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up