Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5td help what veggy oil?  (Read 11264 times)

GREGBLACK

Re: 2.5td help what veggy oil?
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2010, 07:25:09 PM »

Hi Brian I managed to get some 3 litre bottles today at Lanark, they had been out of stock when I last looked so one of the assistants told me today, it is not a very large Tesco  and its not the first time I have wanted stuff they should have but did not. I must admit I wasn't very long in Asda Hamilton and maybe missed it.
I had about half a tank of diesel so I have only put 30 litres in at the moment at the moment, I have not noticed any difference in performance but I have only done about 14 miles so far.
I've not got a source of waste oil to make biodiesel so I think I will just be using bottled veggie oil with a wee bit of diesel in it, I have been running with 100ml of acetone per tank in my diesel do you think it will have any bad effects with the veggie oil?
I understand we do these things at our own risk, my brother was asking if he could use it in his VW diesel  but I am sure I saw something that said not, could it be its compression ratio is to high I think it is somewhere in the region of 27-1 on the VW Passat
I will let you know how I get on.
Cheers Greg

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 08:46:12 PM »

the acetone will be good for the veg - lots post that you should be using it to aid it

Tel your brother to go here and check his car out:

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php

If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

GREGBLACK

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »

Hi thanks to "The Smiths" for the quick reply I will keep adding it at the same rate 100ml per tank full, I thought it might help it flow better.

Cheers Greg

brian reid

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 09:55:57 AM »

sorry for the late reply,your brothers passat,what year is it and what type of diesel is it,td,tdi,di?

i am told that direct injection engine dont fair well on the vegi,so be careful and do the research...but there are people out there running vw,s on the stuff but dont know if these are older models,check!!!!

where dod you get acetone from?...you have to be careful here,some thing you are just not allowed to burn as fuel,like white spirit or turps,i am told that if you get a pull and your tank dipped and they finda trace of anything other than veg and diesel you will get shafted for a one the spot fine,if you cant pay there and then,you car is impounded,you have to paya storage fee and a towing fee on top of the £400 fine and the storage fee increase daily till you cough up,it more or less the same as running on red/cherry,,,so be careful what you put in the tank,though 100ml is not a lot.

clad you are having good results,i would run it for a while and then fill her up with derv,run it through and then change out you fuel filter,reason,the vegi oil if heavy,and pulls muck up into the filter from the tank,do this ina few weeks, then you will be good to go for ages,never let the tank run into the red,or anywhere less the 1/4,this WILL pull crap into you filter and she will run like a pig,will feel like she is fuel choking.
oh and watch people driving close to the rear of you,when there car fills with the smell of a burger king fries they tend to hold back a good bit,let us know your findings.

regards brian

GREGBLACK

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »

Hi Brian, the acetone I am using is 100% with no additives although the very first lot I used was nail polish remover from the chemist. I don't think that there will be a problem about the small amount I use, from what I have read acetone is present in fuel injection cleaners and some fuels anyway.
Is it just me but the engine appears to be smoother with the sunflower oil and pull a wee bit better or is it just imagination on my part ( perhaps I am driving smoother and a bit more light footed)
As for the burnt gases it smells better than diesel but my wife's calling my XJ the deep fat fryer now.
I am off to Asda Hamilton for our weeks shopping and another 42 litres of oil, If I cannot find it this time I will ask, I have also ordered a new fuel filter  to change next weekend.
I don't think my brother is going to do this with his Passat so no worries.

Cheerio Greg

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »

Does acetone mix with vegetable oil? Squirt some in a litre of oil and see if it does. If it separates, you're
wasting your time.

GREGBLACK

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 05:52:44 PM »

Good question and I dont know, I will go and try some -----, yes it seems to, I thought it was going to go stringy at first but it has cleared, sort of interesting to watch.What I can say is the acetone cleaned the running of the VM up and it is performing well. 

"the acetone will be good for the veg - lots post that you should be using it to aid it" The Smiths

cheers Greg

PtP

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Stourbridge, West Midlands
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 10:53:42 PM »

This old article makes interesting reading: http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/
Peter

The Smiths

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 09:27:08 AM »

you can use additives in small percentages - but running on say parafin is not an option, though a small amount could be used as an additive.

acetone is meant to improve the spray pattern of the veg oil by helping to break its surface tension :017:

the engine does run smoother and less noise on veg - power is not increased - if anything it may be slightly down as the calorific value of oil is around 10% less than diesel - but drop in mpg is not generally as much as 10% - and some claim an increase (but my mpg never seems to go what ever I do - only down)
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

GREGBLACK

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 09:49:09 AM »

Hi imagination is a wonderful thing, but the additives haven't made a significant improvement to  the MPG and I think the performance is about the same. The veggie oil is a lot cheaper (fact) it does run smoother(imagination?) . The only time I have noticed a MPG improvement was when I first started using the acetone but I was probably a lot lighter on the accelerator than I normally am I get 29-31 mpg driving but light footed I can get 34 mpg. Using veggie oil the figures are much the same, the only reason I am adding acetone is to keep the injectors etc clean.
cheers Greg

kinger

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »

hi stupid question , do you just pour it in your tank, or mix it first

GREGBLACK

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »

Hi I put the acetone 100ml per tank less is better than more in first then just pour the veggie oil in.
Please remember no one is telling you to use either or both you do so at your own risk, it works for me and a few others I have a 1998 2.5td ltd and am happy with it at the moment but the long term will tell.

brian reid

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 12:17:10 AM »

just bee nto costco,think it was £0.71p per ltr for a 20ltr drum worked out arounf just over £14.00 for 20ltrs.,,plus 6 ltrs from local tesco just to get there,nearly touching the red,breaking my own rules.

yup,thought you would notice the noise reduction and smother running,will try the acitone this week but she, off the road for a few day getting leaf springs, control arm bushes,and exhaust done,getting ready for mot in a few weeks,needs a damb clean out as well.

there talking about the fuel price hitting £1.50 in the next 6 to 12 months,just watch those food prices in the shops soar,its becomes a luxury owning and running a car,reckon more people will be turning to puplic transport for getting to work and trying to use there car/jeeps for the weekend,where is this all going to stop,there must be a breaking point somewhere a long the line surely,peoples wages are simpley not keeping up with the cost of living...it is getting out of hand,,,friend of mine has a landcruiser and can get shot of it at the list price of £15k and its a lovely machine.

more people will be turning to the veg and bio for cheaper fuel and can you blame them?...just glad to hear it worked out ok for another vegi xj owner.

regards to all

GREGBLACK

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »

Hi set my cruise control at 60mph went to Newcastle and back bank holiday Saturday and averaged over the 238 miles 35.8 mpg on veggie oil at 83p per litre and 20p worth of acetone, that in real terms of cost £ for £ diesel would equal 53mpg. But 60 mph is not a lot of fun but nor is paying over £1.22 a litre (£1.25.9 locally)
I must start getting my oil at a cash and carry instead of tesco
Greg

brian reid

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2010, 08:32:56 PM »

well doen greg,welcome to the club,you will never look back i tell you,just make sure those heater plugs are tip top for the winter.
i tried the acitone this week,just chucked in 200ml for around 25ltrs of oil,getting it into the tank was a lot easier,it pours more like diesel but still a tad heavier,there must be a point where the acitone to oil would make it run/drip at the same rate as derv,this would mean doing a drip test and is food for thought for the future,how much acitone is needed to get veg oil to flow at the same rate as derv per ltr,intresting.

costco 0.71p per ltr a few days.

just got my front control arm bushes done,had them changed over for polys,this i can recommed,had new front shocks but on last year,this made here handle better,but adding the new poly bushed made it feel almost like a new car,very nice ride,will be even better once two new front tyres go on and the tracking is redone,newer back spring were also added improving the rear end height,old springs were broken and other one was cracked...bolt came out with little effort and some heat.

regards to all

GREGBLACK

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »

Hi Brian have you noticed any difference between the oils, the rape seed oil oil Asda vegetable oil seems a lot thicker, is there any loss or gain in performance between that and Tesco sunflower oil?
I cracked a rear bumper end cap this week, I must look where I am going in future I reversed into a 2 foot high fence put there by the council to stop idiots like me turning on the grass.
I bought a manual this week off Fleebay for a £5.00 + £8.50 postage I thought the post was excessive but I went ahead anyway, imagine my suprise when I got this A4 size book over 3" thick and published by Jeep Uk no. XJCD1999 no one else bid on it and yes it covers the VM 2.5, it shows all the body work welding and sealing etc, really to much info for me. It turned out the postage was about right.
Cheers Greg

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2010, 10:02:05 PM »

i tried the acitone this week,just chucked in 200ml for around 25ltrs of oil,getting it into the tank was a lot easier,it pours more like diesel but still a tad heavier,there must be a point where the acitone to oil would make it run/drip at the same rate as derv,this would mean doing a drip test and is food for thought for the future,how much acitone is needed to get veg oil to flow at the same rate as derv per ltr,intresting.

You're not adding the acetone to thin the oil, you're adding it to clean the injectors. Adding more
than 100ml to 50 litres is not only a waste, but has been shown to negatively affect mpg. If you
want to thin the oil, try petrol. This will lower the cetane rating, but it will still run and be thinner.

GREGBLACK

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2010, 09:50:07 AM »

Hi Brian Tim is right and I should have picked up on that, 100ml is the max you want per 50 litres a little less is better than to much though it is up to the individual to decide how much.
cheers Greg

brian reid

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 08:41:40 PM »

but the acetone does thin the oil very nicely,i can say i have not noticed any improvment adding the acetone,though at time i did notice that when running down to a junction or lights she would judder a bit now and then,this has all but gone adding the acetone,but what is acetone,is it a thinner or a cleaner...it removes nail varnish so its a thinner is it not...adding it to veg oil thins it,cant see this stuff damaging anything,put a match to it and it has a lower flash point than diesel and veg oil.

there are bio based thinners to buy,but yet to find an outlet,also there is a bio bases engine oil but its pricey.

just put here in for an mot today,more or less stormed though it,failed on a side light,,jumped down to retail park,replaced bulb and got ma mot,happy or what,,,,didnt even bother with emissions,,,just asked are you still on the oil? ......he laughed and just got on with the mot shouting to his mate "he runs this thing on vegi oil"this lead to a major talking point about the price of fuel...started undersealing today,,,now that is fun,funny how so little goes a long way,,,great stuff,,,,£15 for big tin,worth while.

greg if you start to get starting problems,change out your spill pipes,think the original are rubber,new ones from car factor tent to be silicon based,the veg oil will rot the rubber pipes over time letting air in,leading to hard starts or cranking for longer than normal,replacement pipe kit cost about £6.00 from factors,it a standard size.

regards to all

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 09:03:55 PM »

cant see this stuff damaging anything

Acetone is a very strong solvent. Spill it on your paint and watch it take it off. Acetone is also
known to damage many plastics and rubbers (no prophylactic jokes thanks IOM). Use it with caution
in your fuel system, which is full of rubber and plastic. That said, damage is rare thesedays. Just
letting you know that acetone is nasty shit.

GREGBLACK

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2010, 04:46:42 PM »

Hi veggie oil at tesco today £2.53 for 3 litres buy one get one free, (6 litres for £2.53) they did not like me buying 18+ 18 free bottles though , said I should not buy more than 10 in total
Greg

Nosebolt

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »

so go back in 3 times, each time to a different cashier :003:

GREGBLACK

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »

Already done i spent all my pocket money on veggie oil, I got about a months supply thought some of it was sunflower oil also on offer at £2.93 for 6 litres.
Cheers Greg

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2010, 06:25:12 PM »

making me hungry

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

GREGBLACK

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2010, 06:59:48 PM »

I like a lot of chips.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up