Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5td help what veggy oil?  (Read 11266 times)

Nosebolt

Re: 2.5td help what veggy oil?
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2010, 07:05:37 PM »

bet it takes a fair bit to fry a king size mars bar too :hysterical:

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2010, 12:31:46 AM »

I got 120 bottles - 42p/l :greggmo:

nearly went back tonight - but other stuff came up :icon_jook:

Manager was OK - had a chat with him, his staff got him when I was on the 2nd trolley load of 40 - he told them not to worry

by the way 40 bottles = £50.60 = a 5p off voucher for petrol for wifes car :icon_winkle:
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

GREGBLACK

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »

One thing that I have had a slight problem with, it may have been the acetone that found this, I developed a slight leak on no.4 injector feed pipe union I only noticed this because  of the the cooking smell that was starting to come in the interior, but it was an easy fix just nipping up the union nut a bit.
Off to tesco again to see what I can get this time,I may have to take sunflower oil this time. Trouble withthe local tesco is it is only a small one and I may have taken all their stock. I go to Newcastle next week so I will call there but the offer will probably have finished.
I stopped for fish and chips on the way home and the smell from the jeep was more appetising than that from the chip shop.

Greg

brian reid

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »

will have to check my local tesco tommorow night,ma cherokee is of the road,rear brakes goosed,rear pipe also needing changed out,should be back burning oil by tuesday i hope and then i willl hijack local tesco.

i staff show concerns about the amoun you are buying in only due to there policys of being used as a wholesaler,this happens then big outlets slash prices to clear stock,smaller trader come along and buy there stock to sell on,think this not legal,but dont be put off this happens.

the above happend during the winter,asda were selling rock salt at something like £3.50 per bag,traders were clearing asda out and selling it at a £10 a bag in corner shops.

regards to all

GREGBLACK

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2010, 09:01:52 PM »

Hi my wife says the offer finishes on the 18th, or before if they have ran out of stock.

Greg

MK II Mark

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »

Hi Everyone,

My wife has a 2004 Cherokee 2.5 diesel and is complaining about how much it costs to run and was wondering if I could do 50 : 50 mix with the cooking oil, I have read up on various websites and they state that you have to have a Bosch fuel pump, an older type of engine etc, for it not to cause damage. Fuel on the Isle of Man costs even more than what you guys are paying (£1.31 a litre) so I need to come up with a solution or the Jeep has to go which is a shame as we have had it a few years and I'm quite attached to the old girl!  :icon_sad:

Your assistance is greatly appreciated,

Mark

Bishops Finger

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »

It won't like it and engines cost a lot...

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2010, 09:38:28 PM »

yup i remember mr h saying fuel was stinky dear over there

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

The Smiths

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2010, 03:31:27 PM »

Looks like the jeep going - unless you want to make your own bio

thing is you would only save about £15 a tank full at 50/50

30L @ say 50p cheaper (if you can buy veg at 80p/L)
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

brian reid

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2010, 06:39:37 PM »

greg,i knwow a man who has about 180ltrs of soya in 20ltr drums,unused if your intrested.

he,s over near stirling,would deliver i reacon,he would be open to offers,i bought around 300lts last years at around 60p per ltr,he just wanted shot of it from his garage,the price of oil at the time was around 80p per ltr so it was a bargain at the time.

ebay seem to have a lot of people selling used oil just now,filtered,dewatered,and filtered again and you good to go,prices start as low as 10p per ltr,but you have to arrange collection.

cheers brian

GREGBLACK

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2010, 07:08:50 PM »

Hi Brian thanks for the thought but I am falling over the oil I managed to get at various tesco's when they had the two for one offer on, I have got cartons of it  stacked in the house and  shed, the wifes twisting about it, so I had better pass on this.
cheers greg

MK II Mark

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2010, 12:27:49 PM »

Looks like the jeep going - unless you want to make your own bio

thing is you would only save about £15 a tank full at 50/50

30L @ say 50p cheaper (if you can buy veg at 80p/L)

MMmm Bugger. Whats the best way to make Bio from unused/new cooking oil? Does it have to be heated before use etc, any tips would be greatly appreciated. :098:

GREGBLACK

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2010, 07:27:08 PM »

Hi lots of info in this forum http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk it might be worth asking on there.

brian reid

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2010, 11:19:57 PM »

there would be no real use in making bio from new cooking oil,by the time you buy in the oil and add costs one you would be as well going to the local petrol station.

however,is you can get used oil free,and some people do,i am lead to think that the cost of a ltr comes in around £0.27 per ltr when you take into account costs of chems and the cost of collection of used oil.

making bio is chemistry,its trial and error at first,you starts with a test sample from the batch you want to process,say a ltr,then when you have got it right you increase the chems used per volume needed.

there are ph levels and other stuff to take into account to get your batch just right,and this changes from batch to batch,but once your up and running i am told its a doddle,£0.27p per ltr,very temping.

but if you running an diesel xj you could just get used oil and filter it, then dewater it,then use it straight,it will run no bother at all as long as you filter and dewater correctly,remember get all water out and animal fats,animal fats will clog up you filter and she will run like a pig,loads of info on the net and kits if you want to spend money and make bio derv

best of luck.

brian reid

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2010, 09:35:11 PM »

hello greg.it been a while

just noticed you post reharding no4 injector leak,i had this also,but only after adding the acitone,i traced it to the injector spill end cap leaking,seems this is made of rubber and acitone attackes rubber,i the spill pipe are made of silicon rubber,i got an old bit of this pipe,cut it,plugged it and used it to cap off the rear spill pipe,worked a treat,no more leaks.

regards brian

GREGBLACK

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2010, 11:01:04 AM »

Hi Brian thanks for that info it might explain why I am dropping a bit veggy oil under the engine I will have e look if it stops raining. Other than that no problems, anything up to 37mpg on a run  or 30 around the doors,. Asda seem to be the only supermarket doing cheap veggy now and I am adding a bit diesel to aid starting now the colder weather is here. Looking at replacement tyres soon as they are getting close to the limit. I changed my fuel filter to glass bowl type with a washable element about six months a go it seems fine and you can see any crud.
cheers Brian nice hearing from you.

cheers Greg

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2010, 02:58:13 PM »

The spill pipe leak isn't the fault of the acetone, it's a known issue with that engine and is very common.

brian reid

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2010, 08:09:24 PM »

hi greg,

tyres,i got kingpin remolds real cheap a fe years ago very cheap at around £40 inc dleivery,so bought 4 of them,very good value 235 70 15 all terrain,nice and chunky and great last winter,there over 2 years old,and if it was not for a shagged ball  joint and a dodgy rear spring over the last to years  i reackon i would be looking at getting at least another year out of them,checked dealer  website not long ago and prices have shot up tp around £48 per tyre plus delivery,and you have to get the fitted at around £5-8 per tyre,

the last tine i checked prices for AT type tyres that were not remolds they were over £100 per tyre,so the kinpins are worth looking at.

regards brian

brian reid

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »

hello greg,i have a localish source for good used deep fryer oil with little or no water and no white fats,just need filtered and some heating for dewatering(just in case) and it would be good to go,trots in at £0.65 per ltr.

let me know

regards briian

GREGBLACK

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »

Hi Brian I'm ok for veggie oil at the moment I still have about 250 litres  at my brothers and 100 or so at home that I bought last year I suppose it about 5-6 months old but ok I bought it at about 75 p a litre but its rocketed in price since then  to about £1.10.
You were right it was the low pressure fuel return on no.4 the pipe had come off, I probably disturbed it when bleedin* air out of the system, but a very easy fix.
I ran on straight diesel for couple of weeks and the fuel consuption dropped by 4-5 mpg I don't know what thats all about but  27-28 mpg on diesel 32-34mpg  on diesel/veg 50/50 and 34-36mpg on 100% veg Diesel is thinner than veg I wonder if that makes a difference.

I nearly spun the jeep today I must replace the tyres they are still legal  but getting thin, I have had th back end step out a couple of times now so any ifo for tyres wpould be greatly appreciated.
Cheers greg

daved

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2011, 07:11:28 PM »

The spill pipe leak isn't the fault of the acetone, it's a known issue with that engine and is very common.

Knowledge way above mine there but having ran on veggie previously (and modded up to do it) The leaking spill (and other pipes on other vehicles) is potentially due to using veggie, be it svo or wvo.

In short if your pipes are a bit worn and weakened the heavier load of handling veggie will put more strain on them and instead of lasting a bit longer theyll pack it all in and head to the spill pipe graveyard asap  :icon_winkle:

daved

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2011, 07:15:33 PM »

On the subject of running on veggi......................

anyone any experience of runing (after conversion presumably lol) a 2.7 crd on it?????
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up