Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake Caliper  (Read 5746 times)

charger

Brake Caliper
« on: February 04, 2010, 07:42:38 PM »

I need new front calipers on my 2001 WJ, the ones I have found have a the OEM code 05093174AB does any one know if this is correct.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
Re: Brake Caliper
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 07:58:44 PM »

Not what I've got. Plus you'll need 2 codes, one for each side. Here's a copy of the parts list for silver
coloured calipers. Make sure you choose the 4WD kit, cus 2WD is listed also.

[attachment=1]

charger

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »

Seems reasonable, but they've not quoted their source. If in doubt, call Lighthouse, they'll
know off the top of their heads.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »

You should always fit the later Akenebo calipers, as these were introduced to reduce disc warpage on '02 onwards models. Check the price from Jeep, as they were available as a complete kit with pads cheaper than you could get them aftermarket. Best practice is to fit new discs at the same time unless yours are mint. The caliper kit was 05093328AA

charger

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 10:39:36 PM »

I can get a caliper with the code I mentioned for £40, will this one fit & do i need a pair if only one side is binding. I am on a budget as my water pump has also gone & my wife is having our first child next week by C Section so money is tight as gonna need napies.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »

05093174AB is the part number for a pair of Akenebo calipers and US specification pads, not an individual caliper. If you need to replace one caliper you need to check which type you have fitted. The original Teves calipers were black, the Akenebos are silver.

PtP

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Stourbridge, West Midlands
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 11:28:12 PM »

............. I am on a budget .............

Do Lighthouse sell a Crown rebuild kit for your current ones?

I've done this job a couple of times on my TJ and the job will take around 4 hours from start to finish. :icon_biggrin:
Peter

charger

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 08:25:47 AM »

I have picked two up for very little money, if they do not fit I will speak with Lighthouse.
Thanks for the help :icon_super:

PtP

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Stourbridge, West Midlands
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 11:47:48 AM »

Presumably, the ones you have bought are second hand?? If they are, then it might pay you to strip them down before fitting them. I’ve no idea if they are similar to the TJ ones, but you might want to have a look here: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=9334.0
Peter

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »

rebuild kits from lighthouse are not that expensive and quite simple to do
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

charger

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 08:12:57 AM »

Hells teeth I managed to get a set cheaply & the drivers side has stuck again, I swear I never had this month trouble with my L200.

charger

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 11:34:41 AM »

This has come back to bite me in the ass, both sides jammed I think causing a lot of smoke this was on Sunday. My garage took a look at it & the calipers were free no binding. Do you still think that it is a caliper issue dont want to spend £300 for nothing.

thorna

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 04:49:49 PM »

Not a fan of rebuild kits.
I threw time & money into doing my TJs before finally throwing them in the bin & buying new from the US for less than the cost of the kits.
The problem was probably just my calipers (1 too many overheatings; deformed etc) as per above others have done this without problem & PTPs write up is spot on.

scrw

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 05:10:30 PM »

Paid £65ea exchange for rebuilt ones from a local parts place for mine (later type too)

charger

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 05:58:04 PM »

I have had to buy Akebono ones £275 delivered from Mansfield 4x4 need em for Camping over the Bank Holiday weekend.

I was told that in the long run jeeps are a lot better choice than say Land rovers cos they dont rot in the short term I have spent nearly £500 on repairs ouch.

scotty

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »

I have had to buy Akebono ones £275 delivered from Mansfield 4x4 need em for Camping over the Bank Holiday weekend.

I was told that in the long run jeeps are a lot better choice than say Land rovers cos they dont rot in the short term I have spent nearly £500 on repairs ouch.

yeah but you would now be deaf if you had got a landy!! every marque has problems jeep has less than landy!and you are in comfort while you wait for the aa!! :greggmo:

scotty

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »

luggers have got there good points

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »

You should've tried Chrysler first, they were selling them for the price of a set of brake pads a while ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up