Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: CJ 401 exhausts legality  (Read 10505 times)

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Re: CJ 401 exhausts legality
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2010, 08:28:35 PM »

ahhhh, phew, and cool  :greggmo:

so, we got two pipes, 3" in diameter, goin into a 18-22" cherrybombs, comin out just in front of the rear tyres

agreed?

any further considerations?
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Nosebolt

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2010, 08:31:49 PM »

BD post  fekin picture and we can tell you what you have for sure

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2010, 08:36:58 PM »

no can do for a while, they not livin with me, and i never kept the pics that dave sent (unless they at work, will check 2mrw)
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

normalbloke

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2010, 11:36:28 PM »

o and huggers dont normaly work with auto cjs

Mine is indeed an auto,and as you subsequently mentioned,mucho pipework has been done,but to be honest it doesn't look too complex.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2010, 12:49:59 AM »

a balance pipe wont afect tickover a bit thats just crap the main benifit of a balance pipes or two in to one is better cylinder purge on exhaust stroke and blended note
You contradict yourself,the whole point of a crossover box as you say is to purge the cylinder of exhaust gases,without one the cylinders don't empty as effectively and the incoming  fuel charge doesn't fill the chamber,hence you get an uneven burn,it is well documented and less pronounced in a v8, but it is there.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2010, 07:27:08 PM »

i dont at all it wont afect actual tickover now piss off

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2010, 07:37:41 PM »

:wsmile: your still wrong

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2010, 07:38:51 PM »

well we shall just have to agree to disagree then

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2010, 07:40:11 PM »

nah your still wrong  :tool:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »

oh nooooo  :icon_eek: who do i trust  :017: its all so difficult   :jpshakehead:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2010, 08:52:12 PM »

its all about Volumetric efficiency etc, all very technicall stuff (and very long and boring now i look back on it) and stuff I last wrote about when I was in my exams 27 years ago but i doubt many of the laws of physics have changed since then.
The reality of it all in layman terms is a split exhaust system does idle rougher and can  stumble on initial rising of revs due to the the poorer way in which  unburnt fuel and exhaust gases enter/exit the cylinder, on a merged system the  pressure waves evacuate the cylinder in a more efficient manner, hence a smoother idle and improved fuel burning efficiency.
A split system does become more efficient as the revs rise and in the same way a merged system loses it efficiency as the revs rise.
Its one of the things that has helped  modern v8's rev  much higherand faster, than the older engines.

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »

oh dear  :jpshakehead:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2010, 09:05:21 PM »

don't worry they never made a v8 tj steve......you won't have to worry about it. tho it would be nice to see one. :icon_winkle:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2010, 09:09:04 PM »

it wont have a bearing on tickover and yes its very boring  indeed

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2010, 09:12:13 PM »

it wont have a bearing on tickover and yes its very boring  indeed

it does.you been banging your head on diesels for too long , you must be deaf.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »

nope

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2010, 09:16:21 PM »

wash your ears out while you are in the bath mate. :lol_hitting:

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2010, 09:53:26 PM »

don't worry they never made a v8 tj steve......you won't have to worry about it. tho it would be nice to see one. :icon_winkle:

why dont you build one then, there are plenty about in the US and the bits are available

happy with my I6's thank you very much so as you say, i wont worry  :icon_rolleyes:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2010, 10:25:54 PM »

why dont you build one then, there are plenty about in the US and the bits are available

2 answers to that.

1, I haven't got the space to park a tj up and leave it a few years to mature.
2, I ain't got the money, the ones I got already are seeing to that.

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2010, 10:40:47 PM »

do something about it then instead of having a pop at me and my jeeps all the time

Birtys is getting all talk and nothing done, not just you rob, its everywhere, no off road events etc, just talk about this part and rebuilding this in the hope it will one day show it mud. When was the last Birtys event, check when the next one is too

Rant over, i will go back to my trucks  :greggmo:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2010, 10:48:21 PM »

do something about it then instead of having a pop at me and my jeeps all the time

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2010, 12:15:11 AM »

give up you lot. we are all mates remember. who gives a fuck about the science of exausts as long as ya got an mot and it runs. or bendys jeep graveyard. as for events we can only do the ones where we know there are folk coming along cos sadly i aint got the money to pay for em for ya and its only club members that turn up that cover the costs. no one has any money and this is gonna have an affect on what we can do. i aint gonna go booking sites that cost £200 a day for three jeeps to turn up. the club wont last five minuits like that and i aint prepared to risk the club. we just gotta try do what we can for now. lets just get together when we all can and have a good chat and try come up with a game plan. chill guys i know its tuff but its the way it is.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2010, 12:41:48 AM »

Name a site that costs £200 a day or lets go and infest another PnP site or alternative club event...We need offroading/laning fun.... :icon_super:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2010, 01:04:32 AM »

Well infest away that's what its about ain't it........ just gettin' to go offroad.....and I don't care what the others drive....

So for me  .......apart from Cheapfest
There's Kirton..... sadly me, JJ and King CJ last time..... I did spot 2 other Jeeps from Jeepclub... that I knew from Brands Hatch area 2 years ago!
There's Bawtry that I've been to 3 times .... obviously not near enough for others?
There's Jeepey thing at Tong comin' up
More Bawtry
More Kirton.....

But then I don't and won't do any J33 stuff 'cos its too far west from out here in the fens.... too many days away and stuff.

There is stuff happening..... just takes time and money................

But sometimes it takes a phonecall from a mate to make me go.......... Cos its always easier to take some'at apart or weld something back on and tit around than make the journey.............
and nowadays the YJ is too focused for what I built it for to be enjoyable and relaxing on the road, so I'm just glad to get there and say hello to mates and get to offroad..........

We've all got other things in life and reasons not to do this...... but ......and I've had this conversation with others 2 weekends ago........
Sometimes I could kick it into touch and just stick with bikes and do more traveling, but here's the rub I 've met more people who I'm happy to call friends doing this the last 12 years than in anything that I have been involved with prior to Jeeping, So I'm here for as long as I can cos I like to be with people who seem to have the same focus......... Basically I'm at the stage of life where I avoid assholes as much as possible
Doing this seems asshole proof.... I hope it continues that way.......
If that was a rant then rant over...... have a gooooood weekend Birtys

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2010, 11:02:58 AM »

balance pipes on a v8 jeep engine, not realy needed bue to the lazy engine and not realy a stroker of performance lump is it.

the only thing the balance pipe does is help the removal of the gasses from two opposing cylinders which are firing almost at the same time.

all it will do is increase peak power by not alot and smooth off the idle.

none of the above is really going to make earth changing inprovements to an old jeep V8. if it was a performance unit running fuel injection then yes it is something that is advised to be fitted.

a nice lumpy heavy idle is the sound of a V8 so dont bother to fit plus the routing can be a pita if your running the exit behind the front wheel
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up