Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand cherokee 2.7crd starting problems  (Read 15272 times)

rijit

Grand cherokee 2.7crd starting problems
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:53:24 AM »

I have a grand cherokee 2.7crd, recently it had been slow to start / long cranking after been left overnight, a few days ago it failed to start just cranked over and over, I suspect fuel problems? previously when it started it ran perfect with no more starting problems for the rest of the day. I am under the understanding that there is a fuel pump in the tank? am I correct? I can not hear it try to run, I have disconnected the fuel line at the filter and turned the ignition on and no fuel? I split the connector on the wires which I think lead to the fuel pump, there are only two wires and seem to serve the sender / gauge?

Any ideas thoughts or tips for finding the problem?

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
Re: Grand cherokee 2.7crd starting problems
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 02:15:58 PM »

I am under the understanding that there is a fuel pump in the tank? am I correct? I can not hear it try to run

Any ideas thoughts or tips for finding the problem?

Hello M8 & welcome,

All you want to know about the Grand CRD fuel system can be fount in this thread

http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=16056.msg185914;topicseen#new

An extract of which you see below here :

The fuel system, as I understand it, works like this.

There is a low pressure pump attached to the block, mechanically driven, that draws the fuel from the tank - so keeping it in the line from the tank to the filter is imperative.  It comes from the tank supply pipe to the filter, from the filter to the LP pump, which then pumps it to the High Pressure (Bosch) pump, which then charges the rail.

The connection on the back of the HP pump seems to be for system bleeding, as it connects to a T connector from the pipe between the LP and HP pumps.  The other connection on the HP pump goes all the way to the other end of the rail, which I assume also collects the over run from each of the injectors, as the run off pipe goes to this end of the rail too - then it goes back along to the filter, then back to the tank.

So when the engine is cranked, the LP and HP pumps turn with the impellers connected in the block, so fuel gets drawn from the tank, through the filter, into the LP pump, to the HP pump then into the rail and injectors.

There is no lift pump in the tank in the CRD.

So - it is feasible that the filler cap could be a problem, but having said that, every car I've ever owned goes pfffft when you open the filler cap.

P.S......what is it with these 2.7 CRD's.......getting slightly worried here  :017:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »

I have to agree I think jeep + diesel = problems...... glad I prefer petrol

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 04:03:54 PM »

I have to agree I think jeep + diesel = problems...... glad I prefer petrol

Beg to differ, its a Merc lump not a VM but it seems to develop other niggles with age or due to poor maintenance in a former life. The block itself is rock solid, its the bits that are bolted on that go pop.  :icon_winkle:

rijit

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:39:02 PM »

Thankyou Dutch, that explains it well now and I can see how it all works. I have managed to get it started tonight and suspect an air lock/leak or something similar or the lift pump is on the way out. Taken it out for a run and all seems ok, just going to monitor now!  The test will be in the morning now!

I spoke to my local Jeep dealer today who would have happily sold me a in tank pump for it at a cost of £220!

wildrover

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »

This may be a silly question , but why didn,t the Yanks put an American engine in such a classic icon....?

Ok , they may not have an engine as good as a Merc one , but sure as hell they have one better than a VM...!

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 07:51:49 PM »

This may be a silly question , but why didn,t the Yanks put an American engine in such a classic icon....?

Ok , they may not have an engine as good as a Merc one , but sure as hell they have one better than a VM...!

Before 2002 (?) they supplied the WJ with a 3.1 TD VM tractor engine.  I think (but prob will be corrected) that the diesel was only made
for the European market.  Yanks with their low fuel cost were not interested in diesel.   Also the WJ's for the European market were made in Austria
so why ship a yank engine accross the pond when you can source one locally.

Mike will come along shortly to say that the above is utter bollocks  :hysterical:

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »

I believe VM Motori are (or were at least) owned by Detroit Diesels who come from.....?

MudSurfer

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 10:04:16 PM »

Let me know what you found - I'd like to see if anything you have found would help me with mine...
Pages: [1]   Go Up