Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ rear end whine  (Read 843 times)

kinger

ZJ rear end whine
« on: August 11, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »

hi guys
just looked at a 1999 grand cherokee zj. all good apart from a whine from the rear on overun , no problems on acceleration just when you take your foot off and wow is it loud. the guy reckons its the carrier bearings ???. im sure that you guys can put me right on what it is and how difficult it is to repair. any help would be appreciated

Nosebolt

Re: rear end whine
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »

will tell you in a few days, got clutch pack a few weeks ago and ordered a bearing set today, may have a go this weekend if they show up in time and will try to remember to take some pics

cost wise, bearings £109.50 delivered from Mansfield 4x4 (from their ebay shop), plates got a deal from a birty, genuine MOPAR kit for £60 delivered but expect to pay about £80 for Crown Parts delivered from somewhere like lighthouse

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
Re: ZJ rear end whine
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:53:45 PM »

It all boils down to if you're going to do the job yourself. If you need to pay someone to do it, then
your Jeep isn't such a bargain, in which case, I'd walk away. There's always another deal around
the corner.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 05:27:33 AM »

Run away...avoid the hassle...

kinger

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:46:07 AM »

Yep going  to leave well alone. Pity apart from that a nice jeep, but still not well enough  to do the work myself . So will keep looking
Pages: [1]   Go Up