Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 TD 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo Won't Start.  (Read 4413 times)

Yokuoh

2.5 TD 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo Won't Start.
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »

Hello everybody. I'm new here and have looked at some other threads but seem to be going around in circles.

I'm absolutely at my wits end and was wondering if someone can help me..

Recently had some work done where they replaced the fuel filter (with a second hand one) and it's been running and starting well since (for about 3 weeks) until I went to start my jeep - turned over as normal but won't start and eventually battery drains through getting nowhere.  It seems to me like fuel starvation but I'm no expert.  Took the outlet pipe off the fuel filter and turned the engine over and no fuel issues out (assume that it should??)... fuel comes when I work the manual plunger if I pump it fast. Tried starting with easy start but seems like engine is just running on the spray for a few moments before dying quickly.  Fuel and air bubble up at a nylon screw by plunger on filter.

Can anybody point me in the right direction please?

normalbloke

Re: 2.5 TD 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo Won't Start.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:28:57 AM »

Welcome, I'm afraid I have nothing positive to add. Someone will be along shortly.
What was the thinking behind a second had fuel filter???

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »

the fuel pump is the injection pump which pulls it all the way from the tank - so you will have just sucked loads of air into the injector pump.

Look a spill off pipe leaks, or even the "new" one being faulty/letting air in
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

Yokuoh

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 02:18:31 PM »

Thanks for your replies.

> Normal Bloke, I ended up with a second hand filter because the jeep went in to have something else done and they discovered the filter had come away from the bowl - they are also a jeep scrap yard so put a second hand one on without asking me, then charged me 40 quid for it. Not sure if that was a good price or what have you but jeep's been running really well until 3 days ago.

They also replaced the spill rail pipes (as I didn't even know what they were until now as it's my first diesel) so now I'm wondering if they put good pipes on or not.

>The Smiths, so if I disconnect the outlet from the filter and turn it over, should it spurt out diesel from the filter outlet? (It doesn't). Also when you say "spill off pipes" they are the rubber pipes connecting across the tops of the injectors returning the unused diesel?  And also when you say " the "new" one being faulty/letting air in" do you mean the new (second hand) filter?

Where should I go from here?

Sorry to sound thick, this is my first diesel and first jeep.

Thanks for your help :)

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 03:20:15 PM »

Also when you say "spill off pipes" they are the rubber pipes connecting across the tops of the injectors returning the unused diesel? 

Yes, it's a very common issue on that engine.

It's winter - check the glow plugs. They should read around 1 ohm or so on a meter (as I recall). A blown element will give
an infinite reading.

Yokuoh

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »

[/quote
It's winter - check the glow plugs. They should read around 1 ohm or so on a meter (as I recall). A blown element will give
an infinite reading.
[/quote]

Glow plugs are fine.

No diesel issueing from outlet of fuel filter when I disconnect the pipe and turn the engine over.

Thanks.

The Smiths

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »

diesel will NOT come out of the filter - it is only sucked THROUGH it
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

dieselj20

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 07:30:50 PM »

non return valve in filter head letting fuel return

Lornaben

• Lord of the Mindy ring
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: CJ3B (Mindy)
    • Mahindra Register
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »

Air leaking into the fuel line somewhere is your problem.
The fuel will not spurt out because it is not being 'pushed' through the pipe. It is 'pulled' through by the fuel injection pump. That is where your problem is, ie air is being sucked into the fuel line somewhere.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »

where abouts are you ?

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Yokuoh

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »

where abouts are you ?

Hi there. I'm in Stourbridge in England.

I'm going to try and figure out where the air has come from and then bleed fuel line - I gather you loosen the injectors and then turn the engine over until it starts and then tighten the injectors back up?

One thing bothering me is there is diesel bubbling out of the nylon screw on top of filter which I think is where the non return valve is?? Not sure what it does too...

Does this sound like a good plan?

Thank you all for your help and comments :)

Yokuoh

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 11:41:23 AM »

Hi everybody thanks for all of the help.

I ended up bleeding the fuel lines. Piece of cake - opened valve on back of injector pump and cranked it over until I got fuel with no air. It didn't go so opened the injector lines and cranked it again until the air was out and it went...

I had to take the second hand filter out of the fuel line for now - they sold me a duff one, it was leaking air in at the non return valve.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 09:45:35 PM »

well done dood there are a few of us fairly near you so help is at hand if you get big probs

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up