Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: CJ5 seat replacement  (Read 17142 times)

DirtyDeb69

CJ5 seat replacement
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:22:22 PM »

Hi all  :ace:
New to this..... just purchased a beautiful CJ5, but due to being rather plump am finding the squeeze between seat and steering wheel a little tight  :jpshakehead: Also very little leg room.
Doubt I'm gonna loose weight any time soon, and my legs are unlikely to get any shorter....... any advice on replacing/moving seats back seats please? Currently fitted with original 60/40 low back seats. Would like to install high back with seat belt harness, passenger and driver, positioned further back than currently situated. Is this possible?
Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Tank

Re: CJ5 seat replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:42:02 PM »

Anything is possible,depends how good your tinkering knowledge is.I had a CJ7 and some scrote stole the Cobra seats so i fitted a pair of Metro seats.Have also fitted Vectra seats in a Daihatsu F50 for the very same reason.Depends really if you want to keep rear seats or just have it as a 2 seater.Most seats bases will bolt through,just a case of making new holes to line up

Nosebolt

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »

some would consider me a touch portly and I had the same problem with my CJ, my solution was to make a new subframe to accommodate some recaros, as a knock on I had to move the cage back 7" and did the rear seat as well to give some decent rear legroom.

it now has a single subframe that holds both seats and a centre console

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »

some would consider me a touch portly....

From what I've heard that would be the understatement of the year..... :hysterical:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 03:48:27 PM »

he is only a touch portly..... well bristol docks are a port aren't they?

Nosebolt

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 03:58:14 PM »

moving swiftly away from the fat jokes (but a phrase including the words 'black' 'kettle' 'calling' comes to mind) :098:

heres a few photos to give you an idea, will say that making your own subframes gives you the option of setting the seat hight as well

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

[attachment=3]

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »

i think in all honesty none of us are slimmers of the year and thats what makes birties a bit more fun than a lot of places, I hear landrover defender drivers are using smart car seats to solve tight seating in them

Tank

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 04:18:44 PM »

Better watch your seats then mate,i might have to pop around and have a look see..... :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

DirtyDeb69

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 05:34:47 PM »

Thank you, this is a friendly place! Looking at Corbeau seats with mini mounting set on ebay.....with a bit of tinkering maybe they will work??? Have been doing some research and several people suggest cutting and modifying the wheel arch to allow for more room  :017: 

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 05:40:31 PM »

be careful about bucket seats as the sides restrict you actually getting in and can cause more problems than they solve.
Sadly you are closer to BullDog67 than to anyone with any skills able to help you. modifying the arch inners is possible, not seen the room in a 5 close up so not sure how much you can gain.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »

Could come in handy...

"Not all those who wander are lost"

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »

If I don't loose my job tomorrow :jpshakehead:.............my Seats will be coming out of my TJ shortly :003:

DirtyDeb69

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »

think they may hinder you more than help to be honest.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 06:30:47 PM »

i dont want to piss on the fire but sadly i strongly feel that you will not get enough room as this a cj5 not a 7 so the seats are already very close to the rear wheel box best you can hope is to get a couple of inches back and go up at the same time but if it still has its factory large steering wheel you may get some belly wheel clash normally the best route is to cut and notch the wheel box to allow the seat to go back

i hope you can get sorted and may be interested in the old seats when removed

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

DirtyDeb69

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »

hmmmmmmm maybe the answer is to try to move the original seat back........ think the jeep was designed for a midget. Also considering smaller steering wheel.... maybe shortening the steering column, but think this may play havoc with manouravability as the optional power steering was not chosen  :steeringwheel: :steeringwheel:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 06:43:14 PM »

if you could post up some pics of the space between the seat and the rear arch that would be ever so helpful and of the jeep as a whole as it looks such a nice jeep especially as its a cj5 and we loooovvvve old iron on birtys and would love to help if we can

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »

think we do have the most cj's owned by a club in the UK

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »

:icon_biggrin:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 07:27:20 PM »

Yes the Jeeps were made for skinny/shorter folk, the CJ5 seating is very cramped to say the least and is made even worse with the "S" shaped doors. The idea was you actually sitted up and over the wheel like a bus/truck cause of the lack of powersteering in the older days, this gave more control and pressure that could be applied to the wheel. Only real option is to move the seat back by cutting a notch out of the wheel arches to accommodate the shift rearward, just be careful on how much you cut cause you could end up fouling the wheel travel upon compression. Another option would be to install a different steering wheel, smaller and maybe a "D" shapped one for better access in and out. I know my father struggled in his and ended up using a Honda seat  :jpshakehead: with a bit of recline to it. As for buckets, I too would steer clear as per previous posts, they will hinder you getting in and out.

DirtyDeb69

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »

Thank you all for your help  :icon_biggrin: Will measure up when I get a chance (jeep in storage at the mo). Just as soon as I figure out how, will post some more pics!

jeepcj

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 09:00:09 AM »

Notched wheel arch on my CJ5. This has moved the seat back a few inches. This will be a bit different to yours as this is an early 5, but you get the general idea. Wheel arch still clears 32'' swampers
[attachment=1]
1978 CJ7, 360, q/trac, dana 44s, insas
1966 CJ5, F-134, T90, D18, super swampers

DirtyDeb69

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 10:03:37 AM »

Thanks! Thought that would be the way to go, alternative being to shorten my legs!

DirtyDeb69

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »

Have added some pics to my gallery, not sure if anyone can view them?? Tried to add them here but won't let me........am not a computer geek  :jpshakehead:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up