Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1983 CJ7 - NS rear oil seal leaking - Old iron spannerers advice please  (Read 2719 times)

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
Re: 1983 CJ7 - NS rear oil seal leaking - Old iron spannerers advice please
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 05:24:15 PM »

right then you feckers.....grabbed the bull by the proverbial

In the absence of a flange puller undid the 4 bolts on the brake back plate and the whole shaft slid out without any hesitation like a dick out of a virgin  :003:

Two observations :

could not get the old seal out, left behind in the tube, without destroying it  :011:  hope I have not damaged the seat.

Whereas the thread on Jeepclub speaks of sealer on brake backplate to tube and dust seal to backplate all is rotating loose covered in oily shiet.  Also inbetween the the drum backplate and tube I found 3 shims, 1 fat one and 2 skinny ones.  The bearing came out in one and does not look to bad.  Needs a lot of cleaning up to get rid of contamination in there.

Will organize a puller because I want to clean the whole lot up.

Does the above seem ok to you.  Clean up and re-install the way it came out ? What are the shims there for ?

Also what would the oil look like ?  or better what should it look like.  Got 20 lts of 75W90 so no probs to do a change.  Do I need additive, friction modifier whatchamacallit ?

Cheers  :icon_jook:

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »

kin hell i have tried to reply to this thread 5 times but the web site is fookin shit at the moment a bit fed up now

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 06:21:43 PM »

kin hell i have tried to reply to this thread 5 times but the web site is fookin shit at the moment a bit fed up now

Nooooo....... please dont give up Bubs ..... afterall you're the guru on this stuff  :icon_super:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »

I used a press and pressed the hub off on one of mine, just make sure you put the nut on as it goes with a bang and tries to go through your foot been there done that etc. :icon_redface:

Your inner seal is shot Dutch and its that one you need more than the outer as the bearing should be running in grease not oil.
Put the shims back where you found them, they are there to take up the end play on the shaft.
There is supposed to be some sealer somewhere, but you need Bubba or someone else to tell you where as i have never reassembled one, mine is still in bits  :003:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up