Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ steering box into an XJ  (Read 1027 times)

demonicwillow

ZJ steering box into an XJ
« on: March 08, 2013, 01:29:59 PM »

Steering box is fubar in the xj (no power assisted steering in one direction) and I have a spare ZJ one I was planning on fitting, problem is the zj it come out of had proportional steering  :icon_rolleyes: would anyone know if im likely to blow this steering box coupled up to a standard XJ p/s pump or would I be better off swapping the pumps as well ?? problem is then there isnt any connection or gubbins to plug the electrikery bit into ... nothins ever straight forward is it  :078:

Mike Pavelin

Re: ZJ steering box into an XJ
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 02:35:17 PM »

It'll work ok but you'll have very light steering.

demonicwillow

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 02:51:32 PM »

Ahh ok, ill stick with the original pump then, typically also its had some of the red stuff in it, so its been drained out as much as possible and rotated a few times to help it drain, ill wop in some proper mopar fluid and flush it a few times, thx for the quick reply Mike.

demonicwillow

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 01:07:22 PM »

ZJ steering box swapped in, and as you said, light hehe but it works, also swapped the viscous clutch for the fan with one out of a 2.5 petrol as mine never locked up when hot or even very hot, I guess the 2.5 one is set to cut in at a slightly lower temperature as there isnt an aux assit fan like the diesels but its working a treat, so hopefully everything will run a bit cooler now  :icon_biggrin:

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »

It'll work ok but you'll have very light steering.

really? could be an interestin mod for thhe froader

demonicwillow

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »

Well one drive around the block yesterday, then smorning went out to check the levels and me rad is full of cream  :banghead: cant win with this ruddy thing, tis the internal transmission cooler in the rad end tank, that just so has to go, its not good, not cool and makes a mess of everything, will flush it all, bypass the rad and fit a bigger tranny cooler  :icon_rolleyes:
Pages: [1]   Go Up