Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ Rear Shock Absorber Replacement  (Read 1086 times)

Plank

ZJ Rear Shock Absorber Replacement
« on: May 11, 2013, 12:49:53 PM »

I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited and the near side rear shock absorber is squeaking and the cover has rusted through. I have on the way as I write 2 x Gabriel Monotube Max units are winging there way to me.

If at all possible I want to do the replacement myself bearing in mind I only have a socket set and various spanners and can also borrow a trolley jack from work if needed.

I have seen a couple of videos on Youtube which give the impression that it is as simple as undoing a bolt at the top & bottom with no special tools required.

Is this in fact the case or am I better dropping into the local garage who will charge me £30.00 per hour to fit the new units.

Any comments gratefully recieved.

just-boot-it!

Re: ZJ Rear Shock Absorber Replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:25:15 PM »

Not sure about the ZJ but im about to do the same job on my XJ, it has a stud on the lower end on the rear diff and two bolts at the top which go into the body. You should be ok just soak the bolts in lube a few days before just to help.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »

:iagree:
lots of penetrating oil before you start  there easy if the blots undo

Plank

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 07:28:33 PM »

Nice weather so did passenger side today, 3/4 hr and the bastard was getting the nuts off, even though wd40 for 3 days. Fitting new unit 5 mins. No need to jack up or remove wheel.

Tomorrow drivers side but with learning curve today hopefully not as long.

just-boot-it!

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »

When I did my lift recently I learnt as I went along, people can tell you so much but you learn more with hands on experience.

Plank

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »

Did drivers side today, 20 mins in total, nuts not as solid so quicker change. You can tell the difference out on the road, might change the front ones.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 10:09:52 PM »

cool glad it went better.

Plank

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »

This might be pure coincidence or my vivid imagination or just bull shit.

Since the change the ride seems slightly higher and a bit firmer but along with this a noise seems to have disappeared.

When I stopped at traffic lights or when pulled up there was a metallic rattle which I can only describe as sounding like the prop shaft still rotating, it was a horrible but only lasted for about 20 secs.

This has now gone and in general it seems to run much quieter ( even the wife commented on this).

Could the old fooked units have dropped the car but the new ones have lifted it back to the correct height and geometry thus sorting other minor Gremlins.

Like I said could be my imagination but don't think so.

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »

who cares if its better  :icon_winkle:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland
Pages: [1]   Go Up