Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rattling on WJ  (Read 1150 times)

STUARTF

• Guru
  • Guru: 1
Rattling on WJ
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:05:19 AM »

Morning All  :017:
When driving the WJ  IT has a very annoying rattle / tinny sound (no jokes please). It seems to be coming from the gearbox/top half area. It doesnt happen on tickover or when you blip the throttle only driving. Doesnt disappear when braking. Main heat shield firmly in place. Any ideas greatly appreciated.The Jeep had the rattle ( no jokes ) before exhaust modifications. Garage had a quick check but could not see anything glaringly obvious. Thought would ask before I take it to the garage for longer therapy
S
Stuart

carljh

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
Re: Rattling on WJ
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 12:52:43 AM »

see if the air filter box hasn't come lose on the wing, mine did and the rattle sound was no where near
the air filter! only found it when i lent on it looking around the back of the engine.

STUARTF

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 03:52:15 PM »

Cheers will do, thanks for the reply
Stuart

STUARTF

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 11:27:29 PM »

Tried the box but no issues, has anyone ever had nasty noises coming from their TRANSFER BOX
Stuart

tag

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 05:54:39 PM »

Dos' it sound like a stone in the tread of a tyre?   like a tick,  tick, tick,......... :greggmo:

STUARTF

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:05:42 PM »

Hi Tag  unfortunately no, more of a tinney rattle and only when driving thats whats throwing me for a diagnosis
Stuart

tag

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:31:06 PM »

The transfer case  chain hits the inside of the case if it's stretched  , only when the wheels are moving, 

i have had this problem  and fitted a new chain   ,,you could   check your chain . good luck...........

STUARTF

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 07:42:47 AM »

Cheers Tag, thats definately in the right direction, what price did you pay for a new chain?
Stuart
Stuart

tag

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »

When i put new  it was a second hand  t/c  i used the chain out of ,  the box had bits missing but the chain was perfect,   if i remember i paid £70,   you can check your chain  by removing  the bung that empties  the oil from the case  and if you look you can see  the chain  get a screwdriver  lift the chain up  then pull out the driver when the chain drops if it hits the case its stretched   if not its ok.      its a bit fiddly and messy .

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/replaced-tc-drive-chain-462173/   

STUARTF

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 03:06:19 PM »

Hi Tag
The more I read the more I think its the culprit. May ask the garage what price first in man hrs it will cost me.
Then look around for a chain
Stuart
Stuart
Pages: [1]   Go Up