Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMC V8 Oil burn issues  (Read 699 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
AMC V8 Oil burn issues
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:07:24 PM »

I'm looking for advise,

The 360 was using vast quantities of oil (<1 litre/100 miles), it only seemed to use it under acceleration and deceleration and clears when at a constant RPM, after doing a bit of research I figured valve stem seals seemed a perfect place to start. I have just replaced all 16 seals with new umbrella (nylon, white) seals. The old ones were definitely original they were all still intact however, some were very loose. I was hoping this would solve all the issues but I still notice smoke (oil) under acceleration and deceleration, haven't driven far enough to see whether the oil consumption has improved but was wondering if there was any other obvious places to get these symptoms. I know the rings are good as compression seems OK, and its not burning constantly as it would if it were rings. I changed the seals on the Jeep and used air to do so, I believe the valve seats/guides to be OK also as there was no leaking during the disassembly and reassembly of the seals/valves. I did read something about faulty PCV valves causing oil burn?

Anyone have any bright ideas. 

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
Re: AMC V8 Oil burn issues
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »

Has to be rings or at least the oil control ring

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
Re: AMC V8 Oil burn issues
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »

So I'm still dumb founded with this issue, did a compression test today and got these figures

Cyl 1: 160
Cyl 2: 155
Cyl 3: 155
Cyl 4: 163
Cyl 5: 158
Cyl 6: 168
Cyl 7: 155
Cyl 8: 163

These were dry figures, I decided that seeing that they we so good there was no point in doing wet figures. So all are well above the 140PSI as given in the workshop manual, and there is less than 10% difference between highest and lowest figures.

So I'm still using oil about 0.5l/50km +/- (no speedo) and I have no leaks from the engine other than a small weep from the rear main and that doesn't leave marks on the ground, so where next? I have ordered a new PCV valve to check that off the possibility list.

Anyone got any bright ideas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up