Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Long day of fabrication  (Read 16317 times)

ponyracer1

Long day of fabrication
« on: February 20, 2005, 11:12:21 PM »

Spent a LONG day slaving in the garage, this rear bumper is the design I'm sticking with as a base for my tire carrier. Fabbed from 1/4 wall 6X3 mild steel. The tabs you see are what the tire carrier is going to hinge on, also has a 2X2 receiver welded into it that is capable of pulling more weight than my jeep is. ( mainly designed for my 16' quad trailer or recovery point) I removed the factory rear body mount, it will now be intigrated into the bumper mount as it is MUCH stronger than trying to mount the bumper and the body in the same area, both with too small of brackets. Mounts using two 1/2 diameter grade 8 bolts per side, as well as the factory lower bolt that screws up into the frame.

I'm unhappy with the front bumper I made, it will be for sale once I put a prerunner type bar on the front. Or I would sell it as is right now.

Stay tuned to this post as my bender should arrive in about 2 weeks and I will update here as new pics become available.

Let's hope this works... :shock:  :smt070

http://ponyracer.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... m02&page=1

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 12:57:33 PM »

Anyone got a yj/cj and a tj to compare? I'm getting ready to build some corner armor and I'm wondering if they have the same profile on the rear corners? I'm going to fab 2 jeeps worth, one for me, one for sale. I may do more if I know they'll fit more than just the tj. I know the plate and the lights are different, I'm just wondering about the overall radius.

I'm going to do something like these, prob with a little more fender coverage, and maybe angle the top instead of bringing it straight across?? What do you guys think?

http://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.html

Look at crusher corners and crusher flares

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 08:39:44 PM »

Got a few more pics uploaded. Check out the new design for the bumpers!!! Trents going to have the first one's in a few weeks!!

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 10:05:13 PM »

smashin. reckon that reciver should hang your jeep up a treat. :lol:

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 10:18:43 PM »

ps. that rear one wont fit on a yj, no way hosay. :(

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 10:47:17 PM »

Once I get my hands on a YJ for a few hours, I'll figure something out. How much different is a CJ from a YJ in bumper mounting areas? Anyone got some dimensions? Frame width/height, bolt holes on top and bottom, etc.

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 12:24:35 AM »

cj and yj are almost identical, the one on the tj in the picks that you have made, will not fit at all. the springs hang from where you have mounted the bumper to the chassis. you would need to keep the end plate that you have removed on the tj where the origional one fits.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 07:22:54 AM »

hey my litle poney are you gona do tube flat fenders for cj yj tj  now that would be sweet bash plates seem a bit yawn to me

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 09:35:21 AM »

My little pony, my daughter had a bunch of those. I'm doing tube fenders that are as wide or wider than stock to keep you road legal. kind of like the ones on poison spyder customs website, (with add on flairs) except mine will be one piece and not have that ugly joint at the front.  Once my bender shows, I'll do a set for mine and upload some pics. Should be in the next few weeks as long as it QUITS FRIGIN SNOWING EVERY TIME I GO OUTSIDE TO WORK, is it spring yet?

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 09:38:50 AM »

Thanks for the info greggmo, I'll come up with something once I can get a yj to play with. I can gaurantee that it will be about 100 times stronger than stock.

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 11:23:44 AM »

IT'S HERE!! IT'S HERE!! THE BENDER HAS ARRIVED!! Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. Stay tuned for pics....

paul

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 11:45:41 AM »

ooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! lucky you is it elton john or george micheal? :lol:  :lol:

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 03:44:46 PM »

Was that a bad gay joke or did I miss something?

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 04:03:23 PM »

Bad gay joke I reckon

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 04:08:52 PM »

I agree, bad gay joke. Made me laugh though!  :lol:

Are the Yanks not familiar with the term 'bender'?

Manda

• AKA Dangerous Doris
  • Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 04:08:55 PM »

Most un-p.c. in fact.  :lol:
AKA Dangerous Doris

paul

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 04:21:58 PM »

glad it made you laugh mark that was all it was ment to do!!!!!!!!  :lol:should have used the word fag he might have got then!!! to much seriousness about at the moment!!!!!

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 04:26:12 PM »

Manda.

Please don't ever mention the term or words again. (P.C. or political correctness). It's taking over the country.

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2005, 06:18:44 PM »

OK THATS IT!! IM TAKING MY TOYS AND GOING TO J33P WHERE THERE'S NONE OF THIS WHITTY BANTER!!

Just kidding, No I was unaware of what the term bender meant. Learn somthing new everyday though. Elton John? You mean he's a...bender? I never would have geussed.....

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2005, 06:24:21 PM »

Pony.

Just remember. You like to spend all weekend in the garage playing with a PIPE bender.

Remember this additional word and all will be fine.  :lol:  :lol:

trent

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2005, 06:29:55 PM »

A weekend all alone in the garage,  just you and your own personal BENDER :shock:

oh err missus :?
I like beer.....i use my jeep to collect more beer all the time!

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2005, 07:08:10 PM »

Stop being silly now you lot or all your posts will be deleted and you'll be thrown off the site :shock:
Oh sorry wrong site :lol:

paul

(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2005, 08:01:18 PM »

Please don,t bannish me out into the cold!!!! i,m just a poor workin boy who likes to have a joke!!!!! :D

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2005, 08:32:19 PM »

well you are in luck, we like that sort of thing on this site even if other sites dont :lol:

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2005, 09:44:29 PM »

Yup just me and my bender, shame you all are so far away or you could come play with my bender to. I'll post some pics of the new toy on my pic site in the next few days, as well as my new jerry can holder.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up