Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Long day of fabrication  (Read 16316 times)

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2005, 04:59:31 PM »

Well I spent my weekend turning a 98 TJ into a 48 willy's, check out my site and let me know what you think. I still have a little work to do but for the most part there done. Built from 1 3/4 CDS (rollcage tubing) and 2 mil flat sheet.

Now I just have the cage to finish, the rear flairs, the front bumper, the rear bumper/tire carrier, nerf bars, and oh hell this thing will never be done.

trent

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2005, 07:05:39 PM »

That tj's looking tough :shock:

Flat fenders look good :lol:
I like beer.....i use my jeep to collect more beer all the time!

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2005, 10:11:19 PM »

I did not know that Elton was in to jeeps :smt043

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2005, 08:45:27 PM »

Got a neat trick for tail lights for TJ owners. Check out my site for pics, may work for yj/cj but cut at your own risk!! Best part is it's FREE, NADA, ZERO, ZILCH, FREEBIE!!!!

All you have to have is balls of steel (or a buddy that will do it for you while you have a pint!!) or a project jeep like me.

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2005, 05:05:44 PM »

Got a bunch more stuff done on the jeep today, still not ready enough for Ribesford but she'll go next time for sure.

The link to my site is on the first page if you want to check it out.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2005, 11:52:25 AM »

Hi, I'm new to Birty Dastards and have stumbled across this 'chat'. Really interested in your fabricating, what sort of price for a TJ bumper in your pictures?

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2005, 12:10:00 PM »

Greetings Matt welcome to birtys :D

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2005, 01:10:02 PM »

Chat! some might call it utter bollocks!!!

Hello and welcome.

paul

(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2005, 01:46:20 PM »

I like it Mark!!!! it,s my turn to laugh now !!!!!:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2005, 02:08:57 PM »

Utter bollocks isn't that in Mongolia??? :?  :?

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2005, 07:03:00 PM »

welcome mate. ive seen the bumpers made for trents yj and they are a very good job. i am sure pony will answer soon enough. 8)

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2005, 10:23:41 PM »

If your a Birty I'll do either a front of rear for 150 quid. The price includes the following:

1. You choose the width, trents is a full coverage 57" wide model front and rear. The new front on my TJ is only 44" wide. (see pics on my site, link on first page)
2. You can also choose the angle you want and the distance from the end of the bumper you want it to start. I believe we did Trents 8" in from the end.
3. Shackles, I have recently started using 1"X2" or so solid steel for shackles, with a 7/8 hole which works well for the 3.25 ton shackles.(same ones on the front of mine).
4. Pushbars, Trent got a pushbar because I had some tube laying around and he's a hell of a nice guy. If you want something special it can be done but the tube's not cheap. Best idea is to source your own tubing. 1 3/4 CDS ONLY (45mil dia, 2mil wall)
5. 2X2 reciever hitch in rear with added step/bracing plate.
6. Free mounting, and primer.

Basically you tell me how wide you want, what angle you want and I build them. Once completed you come over and we pull your stock ones and mount the new ones. Once the mounts are fully welded on I coat them in red oxide primer.  If you want them top coated, bring your paint and we can spray them then.

Worked very well on Trents, if you have any questions I'm sure he'll help answer them.

I have got my latest shipping of tubing so this weekend I'll be finishing the roll cage and the rear bumper that matches the front.

Oh yea and If anyone wants a matching one like mine it will be 275 quid each. Trents took about 4 hrs of work EACH, my FRONT ALONE took 8 1/2 hrs of work, and it's dirty nasty work that I don't enjoy.  Let me know, thanks Phill

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2005, 10:26:16 PM »

oh yea, thanks for the compliment Greg, Parts By Pony, Hmmm got a nice ring to it.

But I still prefer Young's Custom Fabrication, I'll update my pics this weekend, check out my wind screen banner.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2005, 10:39:34 PM »

Must say Trents did look the dogs reproduct :D ive bits

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2005, 11:13:50 PM »

i do think the £150 is a little over priced for home made stuff no matter how good they turn out. think if you start talking around the £100 mark you will do much better. if this is un economical to do i think maybe your stock is costing you too much to start with.or you are making a killing. no offence but if you do want to sell home made stuff, you must come in at a good price atleast to get started. 8)

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2005, 07:54:45 AM »

The stock isn't that expensive, it's only about 100 quid a stick which is about 4 bumpers worth. It's the labor that brings up the price, and all the other bits like the shackles and the pushbars. After everything is said and done I have nearly 50 quid invested in every bumper I make. Which covers, material, welding wire and gas, sanding discs, etc. So At the end of the day I'm making 100 quid for 4 to 5 hours of shitty, dirty work.

I'm going to try to get into the garage this weekend and build a couple to list on ebay, If they sell I know my price is about right. If they don't then maybe I'll reconsider but they still won't go for less than 125, any less and it's not worth it to do.

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2005, 08:01:25 AM »

so you gona start this up as a buisness or is it just a hobby?

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2005, 08:46:40 AM »

Pony, have you got the right size tube for a 2" reciever socket? I need a piece to convert my XJ tow hitch.

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2005, 03:21:01 PM »

Greg for now this is a second job, when I return to the states It will become a full time job. Remember the only difference between "homemade" and "store bought" is a sign on the door and a showroom.

Mike, yes I have some 2X2 square stock. you need the part that slides into the bumper that carries the hitch right?

Also I include one piece of that with any of my rear bumpers.

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2005, 05:10:00 PM »

I need tube that is just over 2x2" internal that the 2x2" hitch slides into, I only need a small length to modify my UK tow hitch so I can use the US drop hitch and other reciever hitch attachments.
If you've got some, let me know how much you want for a 12" length and how much it weighs and I'll pay you to mail it to me.
Thanx.
M.

ponyracer1

(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2005, 08:34:16 PM »

All I have is the metric size, the 2X2 reciever (part with the ball) will slide in but the problem is the Metric stuff isn't perfectly square so you may need to clearance your ball mount to slide in. If you want it perfect with no work I've heard that JC Whitney sells just the peice you need. Sorry I can't help.

trent

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2005, 09:10:36 PM »

Mike, i have a section of receiver hitch from ponyracer.
If you want to try it out on yours let me know and maybe we can meet up!

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2005, 09:41:42 AM »

Thanks, Pony.

Trent, you're based nearish to me aren't you?

trent

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2005, 05:07:26 PM »

Yes, i'm not that far from romford!

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2005, 05:33:55 PM »

Why not meet up at the Essex Jeep meet, The Bell, Rettendon, 2nd Monday of the month, you can meet more Essex Jeepers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up