Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Additional Immobiliser Fob  (Read 1548 times)

Yakko

Additional Immobiliser Fob
« on: August 14, 2014, 01:58:02 PM »

Hi.

Firstly, feel like I'm spamming the forum a bit at the moment, sorry, it's just the excitement of a new toy...

I've got the standard immobiliser fitted to early UK TJs (with the lock/unlock buttons on the fob). Only got one fob with the car, pretty scared about losing it.

If I were to procure another fob, does anyone know the procedure to sync it to the car?

Thanks.

georgen

Re: Additional Immobiliser Fob
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »

Ive only got one too, so interested but knowing my luck the answer will prob be you cant

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 03:04:46 PM »

Dealer only. You need a DRBIII scan tool with the May and Schofield security card.

j33pky

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:37:57 PM »

I have a spare fob if anyone wants one?  Will need to be programmed

donk498

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 04:49:40 PM »

Dealer only. You need a DRBIII scan tool with the May and Schofield security card.

Thats if you can find a dealer that A- knows what your talking about and B- still has the scan tool and card.

Alternatively got an uncoded ecu from the States and remove the immobiliser.

Yakko

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »

Bah, not as simple as I'd hope then. On previous cars I've had you can sync additional fobs as long as you have one that works.

OK - thanks for confirming anyway.

Might end up doing the U.S spec ECU sooner rather than later - there's something unpleasantly crap about the immobiliser that I don't trust not to leave me immobilised when some blonde is willing to do ANYTHING for a lift...

Edit: Found this old thread (was linked through a different forum - Birtys is obviously the oracle for all things UK Jeep) which suggests "I've never tried this, but I'm told that if you turn the immobiliser off, start the engine let it run for at least 10 sec, then unplug the immobiliser the engine should continue to run. Next time you start it it should run without the immobiliser."

Anyone tried it?

Source: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=1441.0

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 09:24:39 PM »

Thats me!!

Purchased the PCM from the US of A in the end, much simpler solution, and end of the MOFOing problem.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Yakko

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 09:33:24 PM »

Righto, is it as simple as going on American eBay and buying a ECU from a 4.0 of the same year?

If I get one, I'll either:

A - not fit it until my immobiliser packs up, enjoying the extra theft protection it offers (and also, enjoying the sods law that says if I buy a replacement, the original will never go wrong).

or

B - try that method described above, knowing that if it goes horribly wrong, I've got another ECU.

On a related note anyone know if old Wranglers are regular targets for thieves? I know Defenders have a real problem at the moment of being stolen and stripped for parts.

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:39:26 PM »

Tell them the year, gearbox and the colour of the bloc connecters, it's that simple.

Yakko

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:43:59 PM »

Alright, brill. Thanks IOM.

Just to check, I take it the block connectors are as simple as the plugs on the jeep side that plugged into the ECU?

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »

Alright, brill. Thanks IOM.

Just to check, I take it the block connectors are as simple as the plugs on the jeep side that plugged into the ECU?

ECU ??? It's called the PCM.

Yakko

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »

OK, that's something learnt, thanks.

Just to check, I take it the block connectors are as simple as the plugs on the jeep side that plugged into the ECU PCM? Or is it the plug on the PCM itself (that seem to come in black or grey).

Yakko

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 08:32:07 PM »

Right, slight update to this.

Was suprisingly easy to get hold of a US PCM (same spec, year and plug colours), assuming it actually turns up, the PCM itself was cheap, but postage is not. Sods law says my immobiliser never dies and I won't need it, but I'd rather have it to hand, rather than try and get hold of it and wait for shipping with the Jeep out of action.

I've also got a brand new keyfob sat here, which I got free but I think is probably useless. If anyone has any bright ideas about how to get it working, they're welcome to it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up