Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Front Prop UJ - Stiff  (Read 2755 times)

Yakko

New Front Prop UJ - Stiff
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »

Afternoon,

Been replacing my front prop UJs this afternoon, pretty straightforward so far.

However, the joint at the shaft end of the double-joint - to press in enough that the circlips fit in has made the joint itself kind of stiff. It's still smooth, but takes the full strength of one thumb to move it up and down. Kind of feels like it's just 1mm too pushed in.

Proper bastard that joint, as it's in that slot and a real pain to get in and out compared to the others.

Problem or no problem?

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
Re: New Front Prop UJ - Stiff
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 04:57:32 PM »

A needle bearing may have popped out and is stuck in the end of the cap - making it tight - especially as you said it was a pain doing it.
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

Delk

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 05:20:44 PM »

They are normally a bit stiff until the caps are fully seated against the clips. If you managed to get the clips on then all the rollers should be in place.

Yakko

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 05:24:10 PM »

Thanks Chaps.

Del, will the caps move themselves back out to the clips, or do I need to press them out? (Or adjust delicately with a hammer!)

Delk

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 06:00:07 PM »

A hammer works fine and you should feel the joint loosen up.

Yakko

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »

Right. Just whack the side of the joint, away from each cap? If I hit the caps themselves, I'm just going to keep tightening it up, right?

Thanks.

Delk

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 06:47:28 PM »

I usually hit the other shaft so the joint pushes the cap out. As soon as the clips are tight you are done.

Its not really critical since they will find a home as soon as they are under load.

Green Jeep

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »

Maybe try tapping the 'jaws' can help settle everything and then smooth in operation....

georgen

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 04:57:02 PM »

I replaced my front prop today as it was goosed to be polite, where did you buy your bits from and what was the costs as I want to rebuild the one I have removed.

Yakko

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 05:51:37 PM »

Hi.

I bought my bits from RockAuto, for the 3 UJs and a new centering ball thing was about 60 quid.

If you do a search on the forum, Birties get 5% discount.

georgen

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 06:44:05 PM »

Hi.

I bought my bits from RockAuto, for the 3 UJs and a new centering ball thing was about 60 quid.

If you do a search on the forum, Birties get 5% discount.

Cheers, that seems very cheap for 3 ujs and the centering bearing

Yakko

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 07:33:47 PM »

Yeah, the UJs (I got Moog Super Strong ones) are £9 each. The rebuild kit for the ball centering kit is £19 (note: it's just the ball, you have to fit it into your existing yoke). I couldn't find the Yokes themselves on RockAuto, and they are about £80 here in the UK, which seems pricey....

georgen

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »

Ill order the ujs from them but the main bit thats gone on mine is the centering ball unit, boot is in pieces so yolk must be gone too

Yakko

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 09:15:36 PM »

JeepyMart do the complete yoke. 80 quid seemed a bit rich to me, or at least worth trying to rebuild the bearing in it first.

Yakko

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 09:16:14 PM »

That doesn't include the rubber boot. Haven't found one of those yet. I'm going to superglue mine back together!

eastryjeep

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »

What!
Is supposed to be a rubber boot round the double cardan joint?
In 30 years of ownership and +300k miles (maybe more).
My front propshaft has never had a boot of any kind on it.
I just grease regularly and repair when it starts vibrating.

If you really want to protect it, I suppose one could put a couple of those fancy CV boots that the VW Beetle guys use on their rear axles, its split longitudinally and got a row of small fasteners to clamp it back together.
Its really a very neat and simple solution when you see it.

Brother in law used to use them all the time on his Bug and he is such a cheapskate I can't see them being expensive. Just can they (or something similar) be made to fit.

Here we go http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/351194108737?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

Yakko

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 02:29:05 PM »

Not quite, there's a rubber boot inside the DC joint around the centreing ball.

georgen

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »

Just found this but has a decent pic of seal/boot. Guy doesn't recommend doing it after his attempt lol.
http://daedalusideas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/cv-ball-assembly-jeep-tj.html

Yakko

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 07:40:57 PM »

George, I'm sure a man of your mechanical prowess can do it!

I got the old ball out in about two minutes, jabbed a pair of screwdrivers into each hole and pushed.

The retaining ring was a bit more of a fighter, ended up using a dremel to cut it, then crushing it out with a cold chisel and sledge hammer. I'm hoping I can press the new ball in with a socket and vice. Still, if a mechanical idiot like me can do it....

I'm waiting for my repair kit to turn up, but have all the UJs in ready to go.

georgen

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »

George, I'm sure a man of your mechanical prowess can do it!

I got the old ball out in about two minutes, jabbed a pair of screwdrivers into each hole and pushed.

The retaining ring was a bit more of a fighter, ended up using a dremel to cut it, then crushing it out with a cold chisel and sledge hammer. I'm hoping I can press the new ball in with a socket and vice. Still, if a mechanical idiot like me can do it....

I'm waiting for my repair kit to turn up, but have all the UJs in ready to go.

Oh I will be doing mine i was just commenting on his opinion lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up