Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jeep wheel alignment  (Read 2908 times)

BIGDRY

jeep wheel alignment
« on: April 14, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »

Hi, can anyone suggest a decent place to take my cj7 to for wheel alignment in essex/herts/north london/kent area.
Not some idiot yoof at kwikfit, but someone who has experience with these vehicles?  manythanks

Mike Pavelin

Re: jeep wheel alignment
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »

Your driveway with a tape measure.

5536paulj

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »

The only thing that can be adjusted sensibly is the toe, did mine with a 6' spirit level, aim for about 1/8" or 3mm toe in, worked fine for me.

BIGDRY

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »

yeah i guess it doesn't need to be as accurate as a some vehicles... 3mm is that total i.e 1.5 each side?

5536paulj

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 05:55:55 PM »

Yes, that's it, make a mark (chalk?) on the centre of the tyre each side, measure the distance from the back and then rotate the wheels and measure at the front, you're looking for very slight toe in i.e up to 3mm difference, bit less for std tyres. You'll need to jack both front wheels up to do it, use axle stands...

If the camber or caster are out then something is wrong as they have no adjustment really, camber is ball joints or something bent, caster can be corrected by shims under the axle but if you're on std suspension it should be OK.

If you take it to a garage they will have no idea what the specs are

:icon_winkle:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 04:33:26 PM »

Not some idiot yoof at kwikfit,

Kwik fit dont do 4 wheel alignment or align the front wheels on a 4wd vehicle, they cant comprehend what is required but are willing to take your money for no reason
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

BIGDRY

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 12:58:15 PM »

Lol Dave yes thats what i assumed - tbh they dont have a clue with any car!

Green Jeep

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »

Stay away from any of those kinda places including Halfords... we recently had a customer take a van there, when they bullied him into £600 for a service and rear brakes... £150 for shoes that cost them £20 (we buy from the same place they do), we pulled them and they said 'you know the game mate, we've got over heads' so that makes it all right to go around ripping people off then?  :011:

They told him the van was dangerous to drive as the rear brake cylinder outer covers had a hole in each one, even though no fluid had passed the inner seals... so how exactly is that dangerous? Worth noting holes do not appear, rubber tears, we suspect they put the holes in them, we had inspected them six months previous and all in good shape....

Bishops Finger

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 12:27:34 AM »

Id rather use a plumbers merchants to get my Jeep fixed than use Green Jeeps multitude of Jeep experience The Jeep I bought from him was the shittiest vehicle I ever owned  utter dickhhead

Green Jeep

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 11:51:25 AM »

Id rather use a plumbers merchants to get my Jeep fixed than use Green Jeeps multitude of Jeep experience The Jeep I bought from him was the shittiest vehicle I ever owned  utter dickhhead

Three years on and your still bleating on social media about a 13 year old Grand Cherokee that you have never once contacted myself directly about? If you had contacted myself I would have helped, you have never discussed what was wrong with the Jeep.

In the 500+ cars I have sold over the last 5 years I have never seen this way of communicating, I can only conclude something is very different with yourself?

Also, when I do answer your completely made up accusation you fail to answer, which leads me to wonder what is the point in all of this? Please see the example below....

Its probably got a smashed rear light like the GC you sold me but forgot to mention

Really unsure of your definition of smashed and why two years after buying a Jeep with low miles at trade price you continue through socia media to bleat on about it, instead of contacting myself directly....

Don't look very smashed to me?

Pages: [1]   Go Up