Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ rear axle, transfer case help  (Read 1266 times)

Graham

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
ZJ rear axle, transfer case help
« on: April 23, 2016, 06:51:48 PM »

Picked up a ZJ this week and the drive train is completely unfamiliar to me.  I'm used to a TJ but this seems a different animal.

It's a 96, 4.0 Auto Limted with 30k miles and I'm trying to track down couple of noises which leads me to being competed baffled by the drive train.

On the TJ, I jack the back end up and can check the diff by rotating the wheels. (Open diff on my TJ).  On the ZJ, I cannot rotate the wheels.  I have tried putting it into N on the auto selector and N on the "quadra trac" transfer case.  Wheels ain't budging.   The brakes are not on.

Guessing i'm being thick...what am I doing wrong?

Graham

• Forum Member
Re: ZJ rear axle, transfer case help
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 06:53:03 PM »

I'm also guessing it s got a trac loc rear diff....

Graham

• Forum Member
Re: ZJ rear axle, transfer case help
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 07:08:59 PM »

Figured it out....

Firstly, there's the trac loc rear axle which means when i try and turn a wheel by hand, the axle wants to turn the rear prop and I think the ZJ has more of a LSD type arrangement in the transfer case (rather than a centre diff) which means that if the rear prop turns, then the front wants to too....and the front wheels are on the ground so nowt's moving.

In either case, the reason for wanting to know has helped me sort out that rear pinion bearing is shot and it's off for some TLC with Bubba...

Pages: [1]   Go Up