Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 3543 times)

Andyp

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Grand Cherokee V8
  • Year: 2001
Tyres
« on: October 23, 2021, 06:54:50 PM »

I started fitting Nokian all season/all weather tyres to cars a few years back as I drive in the country a lot. When I got my Grand Cherokee I put Weatherproof SUV tyres on it and these are now approaching the end of their life. They're not available any more, having been replaced by Seasonproof SUV which don't seem to get as good reviews. This, combined with having to use low range to get out of a caravan site without churning it up, means I'm looking elsewhere. The size in question is 235/65R17.

I'm torn between out and out all season or all season with some level of all terrain capability. Initially I'm thinking Hankook Kinergy 4s2 X as an all season or Falken Wildpeak AT3WA with some all terrain capability. My main criteria is ability in the wet and I'm not sure the Falken will be as good, particularly in winter. Has anyone used either of these or have any other recommendations? It's worth noting that I live 7 miles from the nearest gritter route and the roads are regularly covered with mud so can be a bit slippery when wet.

johnnyboy

• Guru
  • Vehicle: 79 CJ7 LHD 258 owned since 1980, 79 CJ7 LHD 304 quadratrack - nuts and bolts rebuild almost done...
  • Year: 1979
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 01:26:42 PM »

I use General Grabber AT3's in that size, and they are (for my X3..) the best I have ever used. Tarmac/motorway they are fine and quiet, rain they are excellent, ice they are as good as I have ever driven and snow they are fantastic (5" of fresh snow up the hairpins to Alpe D'Huez). I got 32,000 miles out of the last fronts and the rears are still going at 35,000.
They are "3 peaks" winter rated and won the AutoExpress winter tyre test a couple of years ago.

Never used them in deep mud or on an off road day but I do a reasonable amount of  "greenlaning" on Grass/Gravel/streambeds etc. and keep up with my mates in their Disco's...

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 02:41:04 PM »

That's interesting, I had Grabber AT2s on an Explorer years ago but I didn't think the AT3s were much good on wet tarmac.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 02:54:43 PM »

if your 100% on the road then fit a branded M+S tyre all will give better traction in the rain as the tread pattern is more open as opposed to a summer tyre which is more tyre than tread

XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 06:24:26 PM »

I guess I was hoping there was a standout all terrain that's good on wet roads or an all season that was better than others off road.

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 07:44:21 AM »

I've had cooper at2s on since forever, very good in the wet and the sticky stuff  :icon_biggrin:
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 02:20:48 PM »

I've been doing a bit of googling and came across the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S before finding they don't seem to be available in my size. I then notice that the 'new' Discoverer AT3 Sport 2 is 3PMSF rated and claimed to be suitable for all season use. Are there any thoughts on this claim?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 10:06:30 PM »

Only that Cooper tyres generally are pretty good.

Like Dave said above, something like a Nokian all season tyre with snowflake and m+s rating is a good option. The slightly bigger voids and pattern helps slightly in offroad situations as long as you don’t expect too much

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 05:11:49 PM »

It appears the Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport 2 replaced the AT3 4S in Europe so now it's a head vs heart decision, my head wants ATs but my head says I'd be better off with the wet grip of all seasons (and rely on the Quadradrive if I go off road). I did look at some BFGs that claim to be 90/10s and are 3pmsf but there's no way I could put "Urban Terrain" tyres on a rural Jeep.
Pages: [1]   Go Up