Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cherokee XJ headlight options  (Read 10870 times)

JonL

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Cherokee
  • Year: 1998
Cherokee XJ headlight options
« on: February 14, 2021, 12:02:09 PM »

Hi everyone   :icon_biggrin:

I'm a new owner of a 1998 Cherokee XJ (limited) and about to put it through an MOT. The last MOT had an advisory that the headlights had lost a lot of the silver on the reflectors which was reducing the performance (or words to that effect). So I'm looking for a suitable pair of replacements. I need UK headlights and ones that will be accepted by an MOT testing station but am struggling to find anything stock. There are plenty of aftermarket LED options but would rather not need to do any re-wiring - I'd really like just direct replacements that I can bolt straight in.
Does anyone have a link to any recommended options? Or perhaps have a pair of good used ones left over from an upgrade they've already done?
Apparently, because I have electric adjusters, it limits my options for aftermarket replacements.... not sure how true that is

I have a second question - which is a bit daft to be honest - but where can I check my antifreeze level? I have one of those tubes with the balls in that rise up depending on the amount of antifreeze mix and I would usually suck water up from the radiator expansion tank - but on my jeep I can't get the pipe down to the water level as there seems to be plastic mouldings in the way - not sure if that makes sense to anyone.... but is there some other way\place to suck up water to measure the antifreeze level in the XJ's?

thanks Jon

DarthLowen

• Forum Member
  • Vehicle: Grand Cherokee 2.7CRD
  • Year: 2002
Re: Cherokee XJ headlight options
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 12:39:43 PM »

Hi Jon,

I had trouble finding the correct rear light assembly for my WJ and eventually found it here:
https://eshop.rbs-handel.de/en/

They ask you for your VIN number to make sure you have the right part, maybe they can help you out too.
Here's the relevant page for your model:
https://eshop.rbs-handel.de/en/catalog/jeep/4/cherokee-xj/163/2-8-l-gm-v6/255/headlamps/

Goog luck,
Nic.

JonL

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 02:43:42 PM »

Thanks Nic
I'll drop them a message.
On first looks  - there seems to be only options available for USA (or perhaps mainland Europe)..... which I guess will mean the beam will dip to the wrong side of the road for the UK - which won't please the MOT testers..... But perhaps I'm mis-reading their website.

Thanks for the fast response

JonL

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 04:36:00 PM »

Ah - great.
They look to be the ones

I assume it's possible to drill a hole for the sidelight?

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 04:49:55 PM »

You should be able to find some (just like the ones Daggie posted) on eBay with a hole for a sidelight. Sometimes I've seen them advertised as "sealed beam H4 conversion".

If you're struggling, there's a guy on Facebook that sells them too. Those exact ones but with sidelight holes. His name is Marc Laidlaw, and can be helpful for a number of XJ parts.

Further down the line, I'd also recommend upgrading the headlight harness. The original is weak and sends all of the current through the headlight switch, which ends up limiting the output. Mine got to the point where it would overload the switch, which would overheat and cause the headlights to cut out. When you remove the switch, it's common to find the connector melted.

A relay harness which takes power straight from the battery can be had for less than £15, and makes a big difference with headlight performance and reliability. I like to keep my XJ stock, but would still 100% recommend it!

JonL

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 08:00:43 AM »

Hi
Thanks very much for that - I've got in touch with Marc and hopefully he can sort me out with what I need - plus he lives pretty local to me too!

Also I'm very interested in what you say about the relay harness  - our XJ has been in the family since new, first my father then me and now my son is the main user..... just the other day he said the lights just went out and he had to jiggle around with the pull switch a bit - and this has happened again since. I thought that perhaps the contacts were getting worn after >20 years and was looking for a replacement. So what you say makes perfect sense and I ought to do the harness as well as the switch then.

Can you perhaps send me a link to a suitable part?

kind regards
Jon

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: XJ TD
  • Year: 2001
  • nulla tenaci invia est via
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 09:03:06 AM »

Regarding the harness, they are sold here: www.ksuspensionfab.com/store/p6/H4_Upgraded_Headlight_Harness.html#/ (although this is an 'merican site), they have a fitting video, and a Bleepin' Jeep review as well, just to cement your decision on getting one. If you can find a UK supplier, please share, as I am also after one.
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
'01 mk2 XJ 2.5 TD (my daily drive)
'97 ZJ 4.0 limited (dead)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 09:04:43 AM »

Great, glad he could help. I've had a few sets of headlights from him, amongst other bits.

That's exactly what happened with my headlight switch too. I decided to replace it, which delayed the issue for a while, but it always came back. I think I went through 3 switches before adding the relay harness, and I've not had another problem since.

Here is the harness that I used:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-H4-Headlight-Lamp-Bulb-Relay-Wiring-Harness-Kit-Socket-Plug-Wire-UK/265024500395?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It's a little short, but you should be able to make it work just fine. I've actually got the same one installed on 3 of our vehicles now, as I've had similar problems with them too!
It's really easy to install, the hardest part is deciding how to route it so the wiring can't be seen.

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 08:48:30 AM »

It's a little short, but you should be able to make it work just fine. I've actually got the same one installed on 3 of our vehicles now, as I've had similar problems with them too!
It's really easy to install, the hardest part is deciding how to route it so the wiring can't be seen.

Have you got any pics of your installation?
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 10:59:26 AM »

XJs are renowned for burning out the headlight switch which causes the lights to flicker. Run the lights via a relay and your problems will be solved and higher wattage bulbs can be used. The relay stops the light load running through the switch which over time causes the failure.

The downside is that higher wattage bulbs (150w) will cause the glass lenses to crack in cold weather.  LED headlights will be or should be a simple plug and play connection but the beam patter maybe an issue for the MOT.

As mentioned the Bedford rascal units are a common swap but if there is no side light option, it is only a case of carefully drilling the same size hole as in the old lamp in the rough same location and inserting the sidelight bulb which i think is held in by a rubber grommet.

As for the antifreeze and you not being able to insert the tester, you can add a piece of tubing to the tester so it drops into the coolant and then try and suck the fluid for a result. it may take a few goes as you will have to slowly displace the air and draw the coolant into the tester

XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 09:27:10 AM »

I don't I'm afraid. Once installed, it's practically invisible unless you looks for it. I think I had to remove the grill to run the wiring along the bottom, plus the headlights of course, but that was about it.

I just run the standard bulbs in mine, as I wasn't aware until recently that you could get higher wattage bulbs!

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 10:53:57 AM »

I don't I'm afraid. Once installed, it's practically invisible unless you looks for it. I think I had to remove the grill to run the wiring along the bottom, plus the headlights of course, but that was about it.

I just run the standard bulbs in mine, as I wasn't aware until recently that you could get higher wattage bulbs!

Ah, OK, no worries. I was interested to see if/where you had mounted the relays, as in the videos I have watched, they have all drilled holes in the inner-wing to hold them in place, but the items in the link you shared look a bit different, so was wondering how you did it.
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 01:15:02 PM »

I deliberately bought this harness because the relays don't need to be bolted in place. I don't like making holes!

With mine, they relays ended up just by the battery, between it and the wing. I've got them wedged down in there quite happily!

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 08:13:40 PM »

I could be wrong but isn't anything above 55W for off road use only?  :017:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 08:20:37 AM »

I deliberately bought this harness because the relays don't need to be bolted in place. I don't like making holes!

With mine, they relays ended up just by the battery, between it and the wing. I've got them wedged down in there quite happily!

Ah, OK, cool. I didn't relish the idea of drilling mine either!
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 08:24:56 AM »

I think the limit is 60W, but effectively yes.
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 10:23:29 AM »

Let me know if you want pictures of anything, I'm happy to go and take some!

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 11:31:00 AM »

err Yep, but they can still be bought and halfrauds wont accept returns.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 09:17:26 AM »

Let me know if you want pictures of anything, I'm happy to go and take some!

Thanks Bryn. I'm highly likely to get the wiring, but I may wait until the weather picks up a bit. I've got some tinted front indicator lenses to fit as well, which also means I need to get four amber LED bulbs; so I may as well do it all in one go.
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)

That Oily Rag

• Guru
  • Vehicle: XJ 2.5TD
  • Year: 99
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2021, 11:36:01 AM »

Very interesting thread.  :icon_super:

I also watched the BleepinJeep review of the upgrade loom as suggested by XJFan :greggmo: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=JGf9eNK5ZYA&feature=emb_title&ab_channel=BleepinJeep

they have a fitting video, and a Bleepin' Jeep review as well, just to cement your decision on getting one. If you can find a UK supplier, please share, as I am also after one.

:icon_biggrin:

XJs are renowned for burning out the headlight switch which causes the lights to flicker.

My XJ does not flicker, but does have an issue with dim headlights, which get dimmer when the A/C compressor is running, it is very noticeable when the A/C clutch turns on, the headlights dim further than their already dimmed state  :lol_hitting:

I assumed it was an Earth issue, so I have been trying to find and clean them all up, but I did not consider the switch as you just assume most cars, even late 90's cars, would have the current set to go through a relay. However, I am now wondering if the switch is struggling to supply enough power to the headlights making them dim, which is then made more noticeable when further current drains happen elsewhere in the system, in this case, the clutch on the A/C compressor. 

:017:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2021, 11:38:49 AM »

I could well be wrong, but I reckon that's more likely to be a low voltage issue.

I have a headlight harness on our ZJ and Ford F100, and both of those still dim the headlights at idle (especially when I'm using a lot of other power - heater on high etc.). The ZJ definitely has low voltage, and I assume the Ford does too (doesn't have a gauge).

That Oily Rag

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2021, 11:45:54 AM »

I could well be wrong, but I reckon that's more likely to be a low voltage issue.

I have a headlight harness on our ZJ and Ford F100, and both of those still dim the headlights at idle (especially when I'm using a lot of other power - heater on high etc.). The ZJ definitely has low voltage, and I assume the Ford does too (doesn't have a gauge).

I assumed the harness upgrade would eliminate any low voltage issue as the current is being supplied directly from the battery?

The battery on my XJ is just over a year old and the Alternator was rebuilt before I put it back on the road, around the same time. The dash Voltmeter suggests a decent 14V when the engine is running.  :017:

The only other issue I can think of in my XJ's situation, is the headlights and bulbs themselves. The XJ was off the road for 3 years and I assume they might be fairly corroded, I wonder if you have a similar issue with your ZJ and F100?

I guess the only way for me to find out is to install the upgrade harness as it is very reasonablly priced, so not a huge issue, then if that does not solve it, replace the bulbs and headlights.

:ecomcity:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2021, 12:59:58 PM »

I assumed the harness upgrade would eliminate any low voltage issue as the current is being supplied directly from the battery?

It eliminates the wiring harness/headlight switch as a cause of the low voltage, but it can't do anything about the fact that the battery/charging system itself is at a lower voltage when at idle (if that's the case), if you see what I mean :)

I've not really got any corrosion issues on any of ours, in fact everything (headlights, bulbs, harness, headlight switch) is brand new on the F100.
It still dims at idle simply because the charging system doesn't give enough output at idle. 

In fact, all of our Jeeps have slightly dimmer headlights at idle. Even my XJ which always shows 14 volts, if you look closely at the gauge I can see the needle dips just a hair below 14v at idle, rather than the normal straight up position. It's a tiny difference but shows in the headlight output.

That Oily Rag

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2021, 09:31:50 AM »

It eliminates the wiring harness/headlight switch as a cause of the low voltage, but it can't do anything about the fact that the battery/charging system itself is at a lower voltage when at idle (if that's the case), if you see what I mean :)

I've not really got any corrosion issues on any of ours, in fact everything (headlights, bulbs, harness, headlight switch) is brand new on the F100.
It still dims at idle simply because the charging system doesn't give enough output at idle. 

In fact, all of our Jeeps have slightly dimmer headlights at idle. Even my XJ which always shows 14 volts, if you look closely at the gauge I can see the needle dips just a hair below 14v at idle, rather than the normal straight up position. It's a tiny difference but shows in the headlight output.

I took another look at the lights on my XJ yesterday and noticed the headlight bowls were very corroded, which obviously does not help light output.

I also noticed that eBay had a 3% cash back offer on 'Top Cash Back', so thanks to information in this thread I bought a pair of Bedford Rascal lights (which were far cheaper than anything with the word 'Jeep'), a Headlight Relay Upgrade Loom and some T10 LED side lights with holders for T10 bulbs.  :003:

So hopefully these upgrades solve the issue, or at least makes them useable!

I needed to do something with the lights as they were candle-like on roads without street lighting, especially as most new cars have the equivalent of two suns for headlights and makes your lights seem even more dull! Must be a competition between car-brands to find out who can make the most dazzling set of headlights! Current leaders in my opinion are Mini with the Paceman and anything Range-Rovery, but I digress from the point.  :011:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up