Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1997 Post-Facelift XJ Door Mirror Question  (Read 2824 times)

Mort

1997 Post-Facelift XJ Door Mirror Question
« on: June 17, 2006, 10:44:00 AM »

Trish stopped to let a white van man get past a column of parked cars, on his side of the road, yesterday – he repaid her by hitting her driver’s side door mirror, breaking the glass in the process, and then speeding off!  :swearmad:

I’ve just spoken to my dealership, who say that the glass isn’t listed as a separate item – only the whole unit is listed.  The mirror is cracked, with a small section missing, but the electric adjustment is working fine.  

I’m assuming that the mirror is bonded to a back plate, which also houses the heater element, and that this is somehow connected to the motor mechanism.  I’m also assuming that if the mechanism was originally installed through the front of the wing mirror, then it should be possible to remove and replace the mirror/back plate.

Does anyone have experience of doing this – if so, any tips gratefully received - and does anyone know of a third party supplier for the mirror/back plate/heater assembly?  I’d prefer to buy new if possible, but I’m not adverse to 2nd hand as long as the heater works.

Cheers

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 11:19:27 PM »

try ya local factor like partco they may do a stick over one i know that they do them fot wranglers

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Mort

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 10:55:35 AM »

Cheers Bubba.  :smt023   I'll give that a try if I can't get the real deal.

Mort

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 06:15:18 PM »

Just in case anyone else is interested, Halfords say that replacement stick-on glass is available as a special order.  I was given a price of £6.49.

I've yet to receive this, so I can't confirm whether it's the correct fit and if the sticky backing is man enough to attach to the heater element - but I can give a word of warning.  When removing the old glass make sure that you have it facing away from you into a dustbin - the glass comes off at high velocity in very small shards - like shrapnel!
Pages: [1]   Go Up