Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Almost there (1979 CJ7)  (Read 5289 times)

MK1

Almost there (1979 CJ7)
« on: March 12, 2005, 05:21:21 PM »

Newly rebuilt carb fitted, HEI distributor installed. Almost there now.  :shock:

The oil pressure gauge reads 10 psi at tickover rising to 30 psi. Again, this is when warm. I don't trust the pressure switch as it has three wires spliced into one which run to it. What is ideal pressure for the 258?

She breathes a little so I have re-routed the breather to the carb down the side of the engine. Maybe the lump is a little tired?

I will do another compression test, what does it want to be ideally?

Please help as I really want to make the 17/4/05 meeting.  :smt023

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 10:42:11 PM »

Bubba yer needed here methinks.... :D

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 09:28:47 PM »

hi mark oil presure 10 psi at warm tickover is fine ideal situation to work from is 10 psi for every thousand rpm  there are not many cjs around that have got higher gage presure than that at tickover
noise the ticking you have got new lifters and push rods you did fit new valves as well didnt you why did the valves get bent were they hit by the piston?  [there is a posabilaty of piston skirt damage or ring damage] or more likely one of the new lifters has got a problem i have had brand new out off the box lifters that were duff to test this take rocker box of and let it tickover and put the tip of your finger on the midle of each rocker and you will feel the duff one and maybe hear it without using the finger method
vacume at tickover the throtle flap is shut so there is high vacume present in the inlet manifold so as it opens sharply the vacume sudenly drops this is normal and should not be a problem try advansing the timing 3degs or so on a worn engine it is not always poss to time exactly to your manual and plus your hei will allow you to advance the timing a litle anyway
heavy breathing is common on older 258s with a few miles under there belts oil presure when new was around 150psi but as long as they are all around the same dont wory to much

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 10:22:56 PM »

Thanks Bubba.  \:D/

You seem to be 'Da Man'  :smt023
Pages: [1]   Go Up