Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Xj Diesel heater no cold air only hot  (Read 1922 times)

Richo

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Cherokee 2.5TD 1999 & CJ7 1978 & Ford GPW 1944.
  • Year: 1999
Xj Diesel heater no cold air only hot
« on: October 26, 2023, 12:07:50 PM »

Dont know if anybody can help me, my 1999 XJ 2.5TD heater has stop blowing cold air it only lets hot air through, never used to be like this so has something seized up in the heater unit or broken in the electric system.
I have also recently lost the use of the passenger side electric windows and total central locking operation, is there a connection!!
In the 12 years I've had the Jeep the air con has never worked but i still had some cold air come through the vents, now its only warm or hot, not a problem in winter i know but it gets too hot on warm days unless i driving with the windows down.
Any advice what to look for would be appreciated.
Ian

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
Re: Xj Diesel heater no cold air only hot
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 09:15:32 PM »

Hi,

The blend air door that is used to control heat is moved by an electric motor. Ive seen on US forums that these can gum up as the grease lubricating them hardens. They can be stripped apart and cleaned. They are also available new on rockauto.com if you need to actually replace it. Not sure if RHD and LHD use the same motor or a mirror image piece, but if you get yours off you can compare to the pics on rockauto. The link below is for the 4.0L but the HVAC motor should be the same for petrol and diesel models.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,1999,cherokee,4.0l+l6,1431776,heat+&+air+conditioning,heater+air+door+actuator,10721

I'll see if I can find the repair thread.

All power for the windows goes through the drivers door switch. Most likely cause is probably a break in the wiring in the door jamb.

For locks check fuse 15 and circuit breaker 28 in the interior junction block. All power for locks routes through the passenger door lock module. Again possibly a break in the door jamb wiring.

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 10:40:22 PM »

Here's a link to the TJ blend door actuator repair thread. I should have mentioned earlier, that you should find the actuator on the bottom of the HVAC unit, which should be somewhere near the middle of the dash.

https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/hot-air-again-blend-door-actuator-repair.464741/#nested_reply_top_post

Richo

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Cherokee 2.5TD 1999 & CJ7 1978 & Ford GPW 1944.
  • Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 04:43:30 PM »

Hi
Thanks for the info i will have to check it out and see if its moving or seized up.
Regarding the cause of lost central locking and passenger window operation broken wires seem to be the most common issue if you look on YouTube, but the fuses you mentioned must be a starting point.
I do have a spare door control unit i took from a scrapper a few years ago if the problem is the switches, again seems to be a common problem. I will have to take of the passenger door trim and see anything looks amiss, not so good with electrical things.
List of jobs before winter sets in is getting bigger by the week, change engine oil, replace the anti freeze, power steering oil flush, drivers door hinge pin replacement.
I suppose the jeeps 24 years old now and these things will only become more and more frequent.
Many thanks
Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up