Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: XJ just been LPG converted and need to sort rear suspension  (Read 11700 times)

cartman

Picked up our '97 XJ on Saturday after having an AG gas system fitted with an underbody 70l LPG/35l petrol tank.

Now I knew this would weigh more than the original petrol tank but how this would affect the rear ride height I did not know - untill we picked it up. The height has dropped about 2" from std and before the springs looked in good condition with only 56k on the clock and never having towed or carried regular heavy loads.

So the decision is probably to fit new rear springs but as to what type and spring rate. Now 1-1.5" over standard ride height would not be an issue.

Anyone have any preferences on suppliers or specs or had experience of this before (I know XJ all suffer from light rated rears anyway).

Cheers, Paul

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 09:28:52 AM »

Am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall hearing that rear springs off a TD give a taller ride height than std petrol springs & therefore should give you back the height you lost..........

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 11:47:42 AM »

You're right, Uk spec diesels have the 'Up Country' package which is about 2" taller than  the stock 4.0.
If the springs are in good nick why not go for a couple of add-a-leafs?

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 04:56:17 PM »

Sound's like mine's got a similar LPG conversion.  I had it done by the dealer I got it from, so I've not really seen it without.

How do you know if your backsides saggy?

:smt017
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 05:10:10 PM »

your jeans keep falling down!!!! :rotflmao:

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 05:14:09 PM »

measure from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch, should be 17.5" s
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 05:32:55 PM »

Hmmm.  15.5"-  That's bad itn't it?   :cry:

Go on, tell me, I can take it.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 05:40:12 PM »

Probably not good if you want to go off roading.........sorry about the bad joke!!!

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 06:00:12 PM »

OK.  So I'm guessing that:

1) Unladen, the back should sit higher than the front.

2) I need new springs and from what I've read elsewhere on the forum, it can be a pig of a job.

3) I'd be better of going for the TD springs 'cos they're higher. a) Would I need new longer shocks? b) would it be a good idea to fit TD fronts as well, do they work or is the 6 pot engine heavier?

4) Stock springs are s**t and don't last.  So are there alternative replacements that are more durable.

5) How much should I be looking to pay for new springs

6) (The cheeky bit!) Anyone going to offer to lend a hand AND anyone got a drive/space I can borrow, 'cos I have on street parking (in a VERY narrow street)

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!   :Hangman:

cartman

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 06:42:28 PM »

OME, Procomp or original Mopar/Chrysler diesel rears. It's what does the job and at the best cost I guess.

I will probably get someone like MDG to do it as I have so much on at the moment here (rebuilding the house after a major fire on Jan 2). Otherwise I would do not meesell. It cannot be any harder than those on my S2a Land Rover after all?

In my case I will prob bell MDG in Pompey for their advice and and add-a-leaf is far cheaper than new springs unless some nice diesel ones come to hand. I have to stick the XJ on some level ground and remeasure the rear arch but before it went in they were at 17" or as near as dammit on both sides.   :roll:

On the subject of LPG how's yours doing. is it sequential injection of vapourizer on the intake; milage to a tank etc.

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 07:09:40 PM »

Let me know how you get on with MDG 'cos they may well have another customer. Sounds like I've got about as much sag as you (????).

As for the LPG it's a vapourizer and despite everything people say there is hardly any noticable drop off in performance.  I'm probably not the best person to ask about milage, I've had the gas pedel screwed to the floor :snakeman:
However, for what it's worth, I do 50 miles a day on winding country lanes and get about 140 miles out of 44ltrs. So thats what, 3.18 mile per litre. which is about 14.5 miles to the gallon.  
Hum, doesn't sound so good when you put it like that.  Maybe I should take that screw out!!

But at 39p a litre- who cares!!!!

Before all you petrol heads start saying 'What's the point'  I've just done a bit more maths.  Thats the same as 32.62 miles to the gallon working on the price of petrol. That sounds MUCH better- the screw stays!!.

EAT MY GAS!!!!

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 07:17:20 PM »

We had to change the rear springs on Carmels xj they had totaly gone :(  I got two diesel springs from lighthouse for around £180 but you will have to check. The new springs did the job very well.  8)

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 08:33:36 PM »

do you guys live near portsmoth and have swiss bank acounts

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 11:44:58 PM »

I live in Telford n have a Barclays if its any use Bubba

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 11:36:08 AM »

just been on the phone to Lighthouse.  Their HD rear springs are £70.50, bushes are £6.20 and £4.05. That's £189.76 all in inc. vat.

They also do Air Shocks that can be pumped up to adjust ride height @ £136.90+vat (£160.86).

Anyone got any experience of these, are they any good?  If they are, they sound like a much easier fix- just replacing the shocks instead of taking the whole rear end to bits.

UniformMovie

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 12:37:03 PM »

Hi all

Just got my budget lift kit from Mountain Jacks. Should
be fitted on Saturday, i'll do some before and after pics as well.

£105 all in for pucks at the front ans add a leafs. Decided against shackles cos they can be hard to fit.

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 01:01:26 PM »

Tell me more about the add a leaf kit.  How much, hoe easy/difficult to fit etc. :P  :P  :P

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 05:33:43 PM »

I changed the heavy duty 5 leaf lifted springs on my offroader on my own with hand tools and it took 4 hours 1 side and only 1.5/2 hours for the other side as it didnt rain and i knew more of what i was doing.Will help you if you want me to.I would suggest that if you have the cash then change the springs and the shocks rather than just one or other, then you know you will have no probs for quite a while.Add a leaf kits are ok but only delay the inevitable and they can cost half/two thirds as much as the springs themselves.The shocks you mention,does the price you mention include the compressor etc?Or is that just the cost of the shocks?Only ask as i have a pair of new Air Rancho air shocks and a seperate Monroe kit which has the compressor,pipes,fittings etc which i paid £150 for from Ebay,but didnt realise i couldnt use as mine has a 4.5 inch lift and i would need bigger shocks :?:  :?:

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 07:02:19 PM »

Cheers Mick.

I might just take you up on that offer of help. :D

As far as I can tell from the short phone conversation, there is no compressor, the shocks are pumped up from a standard garage air supply.

Have to say I didn't know you could get anything like it, but the ones you have sound very interesting I must say.  Would they do the trick though?

I'd deffinately be interested in buying them off you though if your selling.

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 09:23:52 PM »

The kit i have is supposed to be fully adjustable from inside the car and it has a sort of meter to monitor the height or something like that.I must say that the price just for shocks seems rather steep,as i said,i only paid £150 for everything so i got the compressor with all pipe valves etc for less than you have been quoted for the shocks.If you just wanted some normal replacement shocks then Procomp advertise theirs at £35 each for the ES9000 range ofultra duty nitrogen gas charged high performance shocks plus extra £5.50 per pair of boots,all inc of V A T.Not really "just normal" but im sure you get what i mean,and definately cheaper,and a lot of offroaders use them.Paul even has their full lift kit fitted,so they must be good 8)  8)

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2005, 11:28:32 AM »

just spoken to James at Team Wrangler.  Nice Bloke. :D

He's spoken to their suppliers who are suggesting either:

1) Skyjacker add-a-leaf kit at £119 - can be fitted without taking everything appart

2) Skyjacker 2" hd springs @ £209 - better job, much more work

Both with shipping of about £30

Anyone with more experience got any advice?

PLEASE... :?

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 12:38:05 PM »

just lift it

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 01:13:26 PM »

Hummm.....

Now;  that is an option :D

Have to start saving.

Anyone know anybody who might be interested in some scuba diving gear?????

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 01:27:19 PM »

only stew

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2005, 01:53:35 PM »

That comment was uncalled for sir! :shock:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up