Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: zj mot  (Read 3359 times)

mattiemjbb

zj mot
« on: September 02, 2007, 12:06:59 PM »

its mot time on the zj, and the is a small rust hole on the drivers side sill, is the sill on the zj load bearing or just decorative, as it appears there is a internal structure  

as far as i understand if its not load bearing this should not be a fail, is this correct?

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 01:02:04 PM »

yes but no

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 01:04:55 PM »

If it's within a 12" spherical radius of any mounting point for a seat, seat belt, steering, braking or suspension component it's a fail. The sills are also considered structural on a unibody vehicle.

mattiemjbb

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 01:37:59 PM »

ah crap its about 2 " rear of the middle pillar, guess ill need to cut it out and weld in a new bit.  does it matter if there hevily dented like been made flat insed of the rounded shape?

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 08:00:48 PM »

if it is intact showing no damage (split metal) or non surface rust then it should pass
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 11:20:37 PM »

just get yer self a patch welded on for what it will cost ya. at least ya know its done then mate. 8)

mattiemjbb

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 08:10:20 PM »

Well I welded a patch on and it did not cause a mot failure, but 8 other things did, 6 of which are fair enough and I’m glad they found such as split control arms etc.

BUT!!!!

earlier in  the year i removed the abs system from my car to allow fitment of a ford 8.8 and upgrade to hydraulic braking system in anticipation of my 35/36 wheels.   The brakes work fine and passed the efficiency test and are working fine no rust and all new lines etc( hydraulic servo thing not fitted yet as not had time, nor is the 8.8)  It still has the combination valve and still will warn if there is a pressure difference between the front and rear braking systems.

but it failed because the abs was not functioning and nor was the abs warning light. but it doesn’t have abs and thus no abs light and the brakes are functioning, it has not just been disabled it has been removed and replaced with a different system so it cant fail on abs because it doesn’t have abs to fail on??

Am I right?

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 09:42:58 PM »

You need to appeal to the ministry.

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 09:48:57 PM »

I'd guess that if it don't have ABS it can't fail if it don't work.  There is no law saying ABS is compulsory after a certain date as far as I know and the only thing the MOT regs say is that the tests apply to both standard equipment and aftermarket systems.
There is nothing saying you can't remove ABS once it is fitted as far as I can tell.

Have a look here, although it's very vague....

http://http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_340.htm
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

wazza

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 10:02:48 PM »

you say you hav't removed the valve yet an it still flashes up on the dash.
doesn't that mean its still there minus the sensors an wires :?:
or did you just mean the bias valve?

get yourself a new mot'ist

also was there any zj's offered without abs?  
if there is you can just argue it never had it from factory, but if their all meant to have it, you might be shunned upon for removing it?
i know the xj 2.5 petrols with the chrysler 8.25 in the rear did'nt cos they couldn't fit the sensors an rings to the axle.

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 08:59:35 AM »

All UK spec Grands have ABS

mattiemjbb

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 10:06:12 AM »

the wires and sensors are still there and the preportioning valve is there but the abs pump/hydraulic unit whatever you fancy calling it has gone and the pipes have been re placed and re plumbed, the dash light has gone. but the sensors remain as i saw no point in removing them as removing them would be of neither an advantage or disadvantage.  and has nop effect on the system.  posts on mot forums would suggest it is fine to do this, the garage said they would check but i doubt they will, so im going to phone vosa and gat a answer and a name and phone them back.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 10:06:43 PM »

just go to a better mot man

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up