Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manual v Auto  (Read 5165 times)

MK1

Manual v Auto
« on: May 30, 2005, 11:36:29 AM »

I have noticed a couple of tastey jeeps for sale recently, (including Tank's).

I have so far been put off because they are automatic boxes. Don't really know why this puts me off, but it does.

Can you please  share your thoughts on the issue of manual v auto, (particularly when off roading).

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 02:15:24 PM »

Mark

Auto's meant to be much better for the rocky type stuff but (and I need a bit of education here) I think makes a jeep a bit quicker in a steep downhill than manual

Be interested for feedback on this

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 03:01:35 PM »

Mark,my cherry was the first auto i`d used for offroading and the only real problem i found was as Stew said about downhill decents as even in low 1 the car would still go a little too quick so i had to use the brakes more,but in every other respect i find autos better and the new CJ is auto :lol:  :lol:

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 03:13:15 PM »

autos off-road  :supz:
When I drive down a ferkin gert hill, I accelerate to about 1100 revs & gentle brake at the same time = engine braking  :shock:
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

Motul

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 06:05:30 PM »

I`ve been on a very steep, slippery ascent, where "gentle" was the only way out of it, and for this an auto comes into its own IMO, as if I`d had to feck about balancing the clutch/brakes I`d have prolly slid off the track and into a ditch/fence, plus with an auto you cant really get it wrong and stall or give it too much!!

Andy.

Mort

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 06:19:57 PM »

Auto for me, every time - maybe 'coz I'm getting lazy.  Advantages are:-

You have a spare leg to brace yourself with.

You can left-foot brake if you want to.

You can make your LSD lock up more by applying a little brake with the left foot, whilst still applying throttle with the right foot.

You can select a higher gear (2 or D) before a climb at the bottom of a steep hill, and if the wheels start spinning the auto box will change up to a higher gear, which will limit the spin and help maintain grip - try doing that in a manual (unless you're Jake the Peg :shock:  

If you use 2 or D on a muddy surface you'll auto change up when needed, which will help maintain traction.

You don't have to worry about a clutch.

As there's less to think about, it's easier to concentrate on your line.

Failed Ascents are a lot easier to deal with.

It's a lot easier to back out of a dodgy situation quicky.

You're much less likely to stall an auto.

The downsides:-

Less engine braking.

You can't roll-start if you stall on a hill.

Increased brake wear.

I think the manual versus auto debate will carry on for ever.  Bottom line is to opt for your personal preference, and sod everyone else :wink: .

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 09:02:33 PM »

:imwitstupid:

I was unsure about how an auto would perform offroad & now I wouldnt have it any other way!!! They really do it all for ya!!!

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 10:40:35 PM »

auto all the way you litraly pour on the power when you want it my scrambler is manual but it dont mean it will stay that way

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 11:25:06 PM »

Yep, can't fault auto.  First time down hill's a bit.. :lol:  :lol:
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 08:33:37 AM »

With an XJ with AW4 tranny there is a way of wiring switches to hold first gear and lock the converter clutch for steep descents. Have seen it on US boards but don't remember where.

Mort

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 11:18:49 AM »

You need a CompuShift Plus Mike.   See here - http://http://www.4x44u.com/pub/k2/am4x44u/truck_stop/parts/compush.htm  

Alternatively, if you want a quick and dirty solution, you can lock the AW4 in 1st by moving the selector to 'D', and then moving it back to the '1-2' position in one quick movement.

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 08:30:19 PM »

Gotta be auto.

So far mine has never jumped from 1st to 2nd going downhill but I guess theres always a first time.

This was the one thing that concerned me about an auto but it makes slow tricky stuff so easy as it just drives itself in low range  :wink:
Pages: [1]   Go Up