Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Momo`s kj engine  (Read 10419 times)

scrw

(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 02:23:45 PM »

if they found debris in the sump & just changed the crank bearings I would be having a stern work with the service manager, bodge springs to mind. take it elsewhere & get the engine swapped, & start talking refund!

Bishops Finger

(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 08:44:10 PM »

Fact...they should find the problem and then quote you...not rip you off to find out why they are too incompetant to identify the issue Sarah... :wink:

dxmedia

(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 10:19:56 PM »

Citizens advice ;)

momos

(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 10:51:32 PM »

Here`s the complaint I just sent....don`t know what will come back, more waiting...hope I did the right thing

Dear Sir,please forward to customer services as I cannot find an email. My Jeep Cherokee`s engine started to make a loud knocking noise on the motorway 2 friday`s ago, the car was recovered and has spent all this time with Hatfields at Bury. I asked for a quote to find out problem, £300. I told them the car had recently been serviced, it nearly ran out of oil early last year and that its lpg converted. They told me it needed a new engine and I should start looking for one, spent all last weekend trying to find one, which I did. Then after numerous calls he said it needed new shelves, another £300 but did nothing else and said new engine not needed so I told the buyer to put engine back up for sale. Then last friday when I was meant to pick it up, he wouldn`t let me take it because it was still making the knocking noise and presumed carbon had built up on the valves. I went over with my Dad on Monday and he showed us all the bits of metal they got out. Wonderful. Then he says he needs to take it apart again to find out whats wrong, which I thought we did 1st time. So, He wants £160 to take out all the top wires and have a look from the top?! So, I call tuesday morning to find out whats going on and he had 4 breakdowns yesterday so hasn`t looked at it. Meanwhile, I have no car, definatley no courteousy car as they are only for service customers and he has spent to many hours on the car for the price and there is a 3 week waiting list. He also said to buy the spare engine. Which has now gone. I am STILL waiting, with a probable, dont know answer, we will need this much more to check whats wrong with it. Although the gentleman was nice, I can`t help feeling I`m being led up a garden path with an expendable chunck of money I can chip away at? The lpg has been blamed, but I doubt this because it is cleaner than petrol and only older engines coke up. I understnad it can run hotter and the valve seets can break up but only after say 160k miles not 61k.
Thank you for your time, please pass this to the appropriate dept. as I am in meetings most of tomorow so can`t ring.
Regards,
Sarah Parry.

Bishops Finger

(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 11:45:07 PM »

Hmmm...not acceptable big time

Most of us are not too au fait as they say in Wrexham (lol) about 3.7 KJ's  so I'd love to hear views from such as the Doc on this....

Being as what for me sins I control a team of service engineers would like some tech feed back before opinions are offerd coz I'll possibly rewrite Sarahs letter if she wishes.........

PM's appreciated as and when

El Baroni

One has some uses....

momos

(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 11:49:57 AM »

Hi, thanks for that but I just spoke with Chrysler and complained, she went on to the service manager who is deeply dissapointed with me for complaining. He insists he was trying to help me and make cheapest option decisions along the way....I am proper fed up.
Meanwhile...the guy in london can pick up the car and put a replacement engine in for £2100
great if I had it.

momos

(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 11:23:13 PM »

wtf is this
he says its the engine i`m buying
i dont want a pretty oic i want dirty engine with test and pref sump off......

momos

(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 11:41:13 AM »

omg i have just come off the phone to bury garage and am really upset.
I told him the car will be recovered tomorow and want to talk about the bill, so he said there was nothing to talk about and that is was £780, so i asked if he could reconsder it and he tapped away on the calculator and told me the job should be costing me about £1700 (!!!!!) so i was already getting a discount, then i said dad had been onto trading standards, which i had done just to see where i stand and according to supplier of sericves and goods act i could pursue it only i agreed to work that was not guaranteed...when i said this he went into legal advisor mode and said he would have to do the job with no labour costs,,,,,so he would of been happy to charge me£1700 with no better a car, only with new parts in!!!
i was furious and said that he was right, when the car came in, he said it needed a new engine. no parts could fix it, only when i said i found an engine did he say wecould try this and that, might be cheaper etc
Arghhhhh! so now i have to pay £600 which is better but god i cant wait till its out of there. sorry for the rant, dreading seeing him tomorow....hope i dont get upset
grumble...

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 12:11:48 PM »

It was a bad decision to investigate into the engine - the advisor is probably inexperienced in these matters.
For me I would advise to cut your losses trade it and start again.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

momos

(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 12:18:55 PM »

i know, he said it will need a new engine, it was only after i found one that he said he was confident that changing the shells would sort it. He knew i was going to take it away and have someone else put the engine in.
I know i have to bite the bullet, its just so ridiculous when he comes out with `i`ve dissapointed him and he is insulted by me`, chrysler ho were the same. Lesson learnt.  :roll:

dxmedia

(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 12:43:10 PM »

Not at all, you were told that they would fix it. They are a professional establishment to all of there work is covered (trade descritptions, sale of goods act all of them point at that) and they would have to resolve the issue for you.

What they are hoping for is for you to walk.  Go to cab, get advise and get a replacment engine FOC with a curtosey car from them whilst they do the work. If they off anything less take them to the cleaners.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »

personally i would have worded the letter a bit more direct with some specific questions so they couldn't fob you off with an icreased bill. what he is trying to do is intimidate you into paying the amount. They quoted you a fixed engine for £300, then once thet realised it wan't that and they probably knew they couldn't fix it the moment the engine was started, hence the need to strip the top end for another amount of money. also hence the reason why it's been put to the back of the garage and left, since it's not a basic service which by the sonds of it that's the only thing they a capable of. I'd write a letter of complaint about service and false promises to the uk jeep customers services. you may have to stump up what you origionally agreed to but do what you feel and pull the jeep out and complain.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 05:34:01 PM »

If you're not paying labour costs, £600 seems a helluva lot for a set of big end shells, even with some gaskets and oil thrown in.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 07:14:43 PM »

what you could do is ask another jeep dealer for a price on parts and labour for the work carried out and then compare the two prices
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 07:44:22 PM »

That's Logical.....
"Not all those who wander are lost"

momos

(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2009, 08:59:13 PM »

aye, he wont break the price down, already asked, it was 300 to look, 300 to put shells in and 180 to take top off... so i pay 600, instead of 1700, i`m done with them, completley, fed up
its sorn so i`ll just waitm time to save etc but cheers !

Bishops Finger

(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2009, 09:13:56 PM »

IM lost....

Somewhere between this thread, the chat box, and J33P I've completely lost the plot about MoMo's KJ as i reckon have others...

Can someone put up say 4-5 bullet points the state of the situation so folk can help out..... :shock:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2009, 11:02:40 PM »

sadly its very simple bish
its broke
they told porkys
its still broke
they are atempting to shaft her bank acount
its still broke
she needs outta there pronto
and to take iom,s advise

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2009, 11:29:27 PM »

:imwitstupid:

Bishops Finger

(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2009, 11:58:19 PM »

Ah...So whats needed is a recommendation for a decent garage Lancs way

Get the KJ out of where it is..and if some card payment is needed to get KJ out of shit garage then  cancel payment afterwards and tell credit card company work was not acceptable under sale of goods act 1896 (with revisions)

Momo needs reeducating with a hammer to ask for estimates rather than quotes.........

If Momo has recovery membership RAC/AA etc should help failing that some one will....eg decent garage...

momos

(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2009, 04:11:51 PM »

Hi,
Right, I`ve paid the swines and am waiting to hear of a fresh engine...rubbing hands.
The guy wouldn`t even come out and see me, my departing words....if the crank is at all damaged, ...i`ll be back!
seems like alot of people have been trying their cherokees in the snow and have come croppers.... :roll:
its awful waiting for someone to have a prang, just hope noone`s been hurt...tata

dxmedia

(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2009, 07:57:34 PM »

Why did you pay  :roll:  ;) ) with hold payment, and have them recitify all problems for the original quoted price else your legally entitled to sue the bejesus out of them.

Now, you've a hole in your poket a shafted motor and about to throw more expence to get a problem resolved which the person you've walked away from was legally responsible for !!

He didn't come out and see you since he was too busy mopping his brow and counting the cash !!!

momos

(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »

well this is better?

have they gone thru exhaust downpipe? and the side of the block is rusty...

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2009, 03:12:35 PM »

That'll work  8-)

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2009, 06:33:51 PM »

compackt litle beasty aint it

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up