Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1998 2.5 Ltd. Turbo Diesel Manual wont start  (Read 4167 times)

GRANDECHEROKEE

1998 2.5 Ltd. Turbo Diesel Manual wont start
« on: February 08, 2009, 05:06:14 PM »

Hi,

I picked up my first Grand Cherokee the other day.

When I got there it was running and I took it from there to a petrol station, stuck some diesel in and drove 30 miles home no problem.

However after leaving the car standing for half an hour or so I couldn't get it started again? It fired up a couple of times but kept cutting out again after a couple of seconds.

All it does now is turns over and over but wont start.

Any ideas orhelp would be appreciated and also any recommendations as to where is best or recommended in England to take it would be great.

Thanks,

Paul

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 05:15:10 PM »

is this your first diesel? it could be a number of things, from air in the system to blocked fuel filter, where are you?

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 05:37:19 PM »

take off the fuel filter and empty the water seperator at the base. refit and manually prime (not sure if there is a screw out plunger on the mk2). try and  then see if it runs. Also you could replace the spill pipes that connect the injectors together. these are just push on pipe so nothing special with them. Like Rob said have a look at the air filter but i wouldn't have though it to be this.

Oh and welcome, just post an introduction here

http://birtydastardsjeepclub.com/forum/ ... um.php?f=5
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

GRANDECHEROKEE

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 06:01:31 PM »

Yes, this is my first diesel I am based in Coventry.

Will have to have a look at the water seperator tomorrow.

It might also be worth mention I have one of those nonsense immobilisers which is operated by the clutch and I thought that may cause a fuel cut if it malfunctioned?

Can I safely have the jeep towed to a garage or will it damage it??

Cheers, paul

Tank

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »

Might sound silly,but you definately put in the right fuel didnt you??? I accidently put petrol in my van once,ran for about 40 mile then it cut out,and it would start and die again.Not trying to teach granny to suck eggs but its easily done especially nowadays with all the different pumps

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:14:24 PM »

the clutch thing is not an immobiliser, its just a safety thing they do on US cars with manual gearboxes. it stops them starting the car in gear and it roaring off, due to them using auto boxes a lot more.
you do wait for the glow plug light to go out before starting it in the cold?
( its a little orange light that lights up when the ignition is switched on, its got a coil of wire symbol on it)
we are mostly just over in birmimgham so you are not a million miles away.
to safely tow the jeep , you should put it in neutral and also make sure the transfer box is in neutral as well.

jjay69

Filter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »

Hi

I'm no expert and this is my first diesel too, i've got a 99 2.5td Orvis. I've only ever had one problem with it in the last 5 months and that was exactly the same as you describe. All i did was attempt to drain some water from the fuel filter (next to nothing came out), have a "fiddle" with the filter in general (like take it off the mountings to get at the hose connection easier) and put it all back. Bingo, been fine ever since.
Pages: [1]   Go Up