Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hydraulic Power Steering Fluid  (Read 4004 times)

Richo

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Cherokee 2.5TD 1999 & CJ7 1978 & Ford GPW 1944.
  • Year: 1999
Hydraulic Power Steering Fluid
« on: January 18, 2021, 02:18:30 PM »

Can anybody advise on the correct hydraulic power steering fluid for my 1999 XJ TD power steering system, seems to be lots of miss information about this subject but as i understand it Mopar MS10838 part number 05142893AA is the correct fluid!!
Could anybody confirm this, i believe theres other Mopar steering fluids available but there for later and different models and there not compatible.
All these Mopa fluids seem to be very expensive but i cant find a compatible oil from other manufacturers to the Mopar spec so assume i only have one choice.
Cheers

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
Re: Hydraulic Power Steering Fluid
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 04:26:46 PM »

I totally understand your pain Richo...been there, scratched my head for a solution too. Some years ago, I owned a KJ and had a stone come up and demolish the PS oil cooler which sits just behind the grill, resulting in a bloody big mess and the loss of most of the fluid. Cut a long story short, I did the required repairs and cooler replacement until it came time for the fluid replacement/top up...could I find the correct/recommended stuff? No way on Gods earth was it available over here, so I just got what I thought would do the trick (Shell PSF) and went from there...topped up the system and went for a drive up a windy road, came home, pulled the outlet hose off and drained everything until nothing more came out, filled it again and off I went. Eight years later, the PS still works exactly as it should, doesn't get hot and is still so quiet and smooth, you wouldn't even know it was there.

Worked for me. :icon_super:

Back then, I seem to recall that the whole exercise cost me less than 20 pounds to fix... :icon_biggrin:

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 05:57:58 PM »

For a 99 it would be plain old power steering fluid. Not something with ATF in the description. It would normally be a straw coloured fluid. Any with ATF in the description would normally be red.

Edit: It seems Slick 50 PSF is compatible. though it doesn't mention it on the bottle... https://slick50.info/power_steering_fluid/

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 06:25:26 PM »

Taking ya girl to heaven & back

Richo

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 03:20:19 PM »

Hi
Thanks for the replies, saw the slick 50 on the web, the problem is that i am not at all sure what is the correct Mopar oil for the VM turbo diesel models, these no cooler on these vehicles and i cant find anything that recommends the correct oil for a 1999 model.
I have found several Mopar numbers MS 1872, MS 5931 MS9602 & MS10838 numbers but cant be sure which is correct, does MS10838 supersede all other numbers!! nothing in any books or manuals i have states what to use, its just the latter that seems to be available.
I found on ebay WestWay oils do a PSF SYN based which they say is compatible to Chrysler vehicles and is £11 per litre which i dont think is bad compared to £40 that seems to be the norm.
My plan would be buy 3 litres flush the old crap out of the system with 2litres and fill with the third litre.

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 04:53:17 PM »

The factory Service manual states to use Mopar PSF or equivalent (it doesn't state a spec, and there's none listed in the parts lists). It goes on to state "Do not use automatic transmission fluid". I can only presume this is due to seal compatibility. There is no mention of any fluid difference for the diesel models.

Did you actually look at the Slick 50 specs? ALL of the Mopar numbers you just quoted are on there, so it doesn't matter which fluid superceeds which. I think MS-5931 was the spec when your Jeep was made. It's £5.99 per 500ml at Halfords so only £12/L.

Looking on Westway oil's own site I don't see anything listed as only PSF. Mopar spec changed from PSF to ATF for newer models, do Westway state which spec they meet? Is their fluid an ATF (and PSF)?

I don't know how easy it is to get to your PS pump, but the easiest way to flush is jack up the front wheels, remove the low pressure hose from the pump, and point it into a bucket. It should only have a spring clip on it. With engine off, have somebody cycle the steering from stop to stop while you add fluid to the reservoir. When it runs out clean, refit the pipe and top up as necessary. Do it that way and you won't get air in the system which would need to be bled out with the wheels in the air and cycling the steering about 20-30 times. I reckon you'd only need 2-3 500ml bottles, unless there's a PS cooler in the system.

Richo

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 07:09:12 PM »

Hi and thanks again for the info, yes i have noted the Slick 50 specs and it looks like its ok, the Westway oil is a PSF and also shows the Chrysler specs, ref ebay no 112122614493, have a look and see what you think, i have used Westway oils before for workshop machine tool oils and found them to be very good.
Yep i cant find anything relating to the correct Mopar spec for any year let alone my year, and yes the pump and reservoir are easy enough to get to on the diesel model, i intend to do exactly as you mention and flush out the old oil until clean comes throuvh, its just that i read all sorts of conflicting comments on US sites that it put the wind up me a bit. I hould really learn to not listen to some of those American so called knowledgeable Jeep owners.
If i fitted the wrong oil i had visions of new pumps and leaking seals costing me a fortune to put right.
Cheers Ian

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 03:11:25 PM »

Looks like that is fine, strange they don't have it shown on their own website though. I've used Westway myself and currently have their gear oil in my diffs.

As long as you don't let the reservoir run dry when flushing, you shouldn't get air into the system. but to be certain you may want to follow the directions given for initial pump operation in the FSM.

POWER STEERING PUMP – INITIAL OPERATION

WARNING: THE FLUID LEVEL SHOULD BE CHECKED WITH ENGINE OFF TO PREVENT INJURY FROM MOVING COMPONENTS.
CAUTION: Use MOPAR Power Steering Fluid or equivalent. Do not use automatic transmission fluid and do not overfill.

Wipe filler cap clean, then check the fluid level. The dipstick should indicate COLD when the fluid is at normal temperature.
(1) Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two minutes.
(2) Start the engine and let run for a few seconds then turn engine off.
(3) Add fluid if necessary. Repeat the above procedure until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine.
(4) Raise the front wheels off the ground.
(5) Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops at least 20 times.
(6) Check the fluid level add if necessary.
(7) Lower the vehicle, start the engine and turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock.
(8.) Stop the engine and check the fluid level and refill as required.
(9) If the fluid is extremely foamy or milky looking, allow the vehicle to stand a few minutes and repeat the procedure.

CAUTION: Do not run a vehicle with foamy fluid for an extended period. This may cause pump damage.

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: XJ TD
  • Year: 2001
  • nulla tenaci invia est via
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 08:13:46 AM »

Looks like that is fine, strange they don't have it shown on their own website though. I've used Westway myself and currently have their gear oil in my diffs.

As long as you don't let the reservoir run dry when flushing, you shouldn't get air into the system. but to be certain you may want to follow the directions given for initial pump operation in the FSM.

WARNING: THE FLUID LEVEL SHOULD BE CHECKED WITH ENGINE OFF TO PREVENT INJURY FROM MOVING COMPONENTS.
CAUTION: Use MOPAR Power Steering Fluid or equivalent. Do not use automatic transmission fluid and do not overfill.

Wipe filler cap clean, then check the fluid level. The dipstick should indicate COLD when the fluid is at normal temperature.
(1) Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two minutes.
(3) Add fluid if necessary. Repeat the above procedure until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine.
(5) Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops at least 20 times.
(7) Lower the vehicle, start the engine and turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock.
(9) If the fluid is extremely foamy or milky looking, allow the vehicle to stand a few minutes and repeat the procedure.

CAUTION: Do not run a vehicle with foamy fluid for an extended period. This may cause pump damage.

Very handy, thanks Jonny
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
'01 mk2 XJ 2.5 TD (my daily drive)
'97 ZJ 4.0 limited (dead)

Richo

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 06:10:23 PM »

Yep i thought it sounded like the correct oil at a hood price as well, going go order 3 litres so should be more than enough, i sill follow your instructions to the letter so hopefully all will be fine, just have to wait till the weather picks up a little before i start rolling around underneath the old girl.
Many thanks for your advice.
Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up