Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Notes from committee meet  (Read 8473 times)

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
Notes from committee meet
« on: February 09, 2008, 06:55:21 PM »

We're having the committee meet right now, and we're taking a few notes, so there gonna appear here.

Please don't respond tonight - thanks

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 06:57:38 PM »

1) First, we're thinking of possibly setting up a method of donating cash to support the club - optional of course. This would help with the insurance for events etc.

We could have an electronic method of payment - paypal etc.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 07:02:49 PM »

2) We need to decide a charity this year to donate to - thoughts?

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 07:15:55 PM »

3) We need ideas to encourage newcomers to come offroad - many people want to go offroad but would be frightened to, or wouldn't know what to do once at a site.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 07:33:21 PM »

4) Is there anything that people would like to see on the site?

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 08:04:15 PM »

5) What are peoples feelings on Birty having an electronic shop where another company would print and send t-shirts and all other kinds of goodies with a Birty's logo.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 08:29:53 PM »

6) What do people think of the idea of having a wiki. A wiki, in a similar vein to wikipedia is a database of information editted and created by it's users.
It could hold all sorts of information, specs, howto guides, history etc.
This would be an invaluable resource which would help everyone trawling the internet and not getting anywhere.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 10:01:23 PM »

7) The landlord of the Old House at Home where we have our monthly pub meet has suggested that we could combine our two charity events i.e. Cheapfest and their event. Thoughts?

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 10:15:02 PM »

8) Suggestions for Cheapfest.

Punches have been suggested, any thoughts?

Trial section?

What can be done to make it interesting for newbies and stock vehicles?

What can we do to make Cheapfest have a special draw this year - to make it stand out and make it different?

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 10:27:24 PM »

9) A novice day has been suggested to attract new offroaders. Thoughts?

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 05:22:36 PM »

no1. good idea, but would may be superflous if no5. took off, as that is a better idea and presumably could be run on a non extortinate but satisfactory mark up basis.

no3. long way off but if no1 & no5 made cash then a birtys club jeep so you can try before doing untold dosh on your own?

no6. good idea, but not for me, im a tech free postin zone unless it me after answers, im not cut out for it  :lol:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 05:59:58 PM »

Quote from: "Bulldog67"

as for newbies and stock vehicles being encouraged, im guessing you mean to events, from my perspective, slightly more difficult. the huge amount of expertise at birtys is a massive bonus, but that in itself is also intimidating (yes i maybe inching out of that particular closet) in concern to a newbies stock jeep. good luck on sorting that one out!  

you will be surprised, we take lots of time to help and encourage new members or newcomers to froading.

Take the weekend for example, guy is coming to ribbo in a stock grand with road tyres.
I am going to take him round the site in my TJ then sit with him in his grand and help him out. we wont do anything extreme but it will show him what his truck can do.

I can remember meeting up with this lot a couple of years ago, they have taught me how to drive off road and encouraged me and helped with the mods i done.

So i dont think you have to be a seasoned froader to come along, just have to want to be a jeeper  8-)
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

RockingDad

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 09:31:02 PM »

I've not had my jeep long and I'm not planning huge lifts are anything like that but I do want to get it muddy and release it into the wild. I've been involved in other vehicle type forum groups and it can sometimes be difficult to be included into the group when attending the meets and I think this is where the problem and hesitation lies for some people. I think a 'newbies' day would be great.

I really want to get involved with the forum members as many people have helped me a great deal with questions I have had about my GC but the other issue is distance. Jeep juice aint getting any cheaper and most meets are a fair distance from me (i'm in clacton, Essex). other than cosmetic mods mine is stock with road tyres but want to try off roading in it before i go out and get a good second set of wheels and AT's.

I know there is the Essex meet in the evening but when thats on i'm always working!!! DOH!

Wiki - good idea, donations for site - good idea and works for others is there going to be a benefit to this for users who do donate (not that i'm bothered about benefit but usually attracts more donations).

Shop - good idea, will this be developed to offer small scale parts (bushes, service parts etc).

Well thats my thoughts anyway.....

RockingDad   (or Mark should you ever meet me  :wink: )

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 09:39:54 PM »

newbies are always welcome at our events and someone will always take the time to show you the ropes and help you get involved in the fun. if you just wanna come along and watch others at play or just meet folk that is cool too. 8-)

RockingDad

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 09:43:05 PM »

Quote from: "greggmo"
newbies are always welcome at our events and someone will always take the time to show you the ropes and help you get involved in the fun. if you just wanna come along and watch others at play or just meet folk that is cool too. 8-)

Cool! just got to get to one nearer to me  :-D

RockingDad

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 08:52:23 PM »

i'm still green at off roading but the guys on here are very helpful especially at events, i took a ride with Tim when i was last at ribbo just to see what an xj could do, and they can do alot. I have a 3.5" lift and after the weekend i was still impressed by the capability of the jeep. I'm no where near putting it to the limit but then it is a daily driver as well. With all the mud and the poor conditions at ribbo, i still drove the xj through areas i didn't at the last visit, i havent got any Limited slip diffs or lockers fitted either.
 I havent a problem with someone jumping in for a ride to show what one can do, it wont be extreme but it will give a good taster,  oh you might have to put up with the comments from my 6yr old.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Carlos Fandango

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 09:47:02 PM »

What about green laning days / weekends in key areas around the UK.

Say Wales, Cumbria, Derbyshire, Shropshire, Leicestershire etc to help birties who want to get into green laning as well as froadin at the usual sites  :?:  :?:

demonicwillow

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 10:35:10 PM »

Im keen to get involved too!! but as its a daily used jeep for my business and other work commitments Im a bit worried ill do some damage that will knock it out of action, then ide be stuck.

Full on off roading at the mo is a bit much but to get involved with green laning maybe a good start!

Bishops Finger

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 11:27:25 PM »

Laning is a good start...they are after all meant to be public roads.... :-D

Carlos Fandango

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 08:36:33 PM »

Could we not nominate someone or perhaps more than one person again strategically placed north and south perhaps, who can advise which lanes can be driven and where they are? or help others how to look for them find them etc or we have some sort of green lane library??

RockingDad

(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 10:17:51 AM »

Quote from: "Carlos Fandango"
Could we not nominate someone or perhaps more than one person again strategically placed north and south perhaps, who can advise which lanes can be driven and where they are? or help others how to look for them find them etc or we have some sort of green lane library??

Green lane library sounds like a great idea!

Bishops Finger

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 12:06:35 PM »

Green Lane library is already out there .....its called the Wayfinder.... :wink:

Lornaben

• Lord of the Mindy ring
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: CJ3B (Mindy)
    • Mahindra Register
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 01:29:19 PM »

:twisted:

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 01:49:39 PM »

i use the freebie wayfinder and o.s maps
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Lornaben

• Lord of the Mindy ring
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: CJ3B (Mindy)
    • Mahindra Register
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 02:12:48 PM »

Quote from: "RockingDad"
Quote from: "Carlos Fandango"

Green lane library sounds like a great idea!

Were you thinking more along the lines of a route to follow that covers several lanes ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up