Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AW4 trans question  (Read 1092 times)

WillCJ

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: '83CJ7 V8, 2012 JKU 2.8CRD, '98CJ7/M38
  • Year: '83
AW4 trans question
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:33:31 PM »

The shift on the XJ has started being a bit slow to lock-up, maybe always a bit slow when cold to shift up from 1st, decided to change oil and filter as a start.
Had a right fight wth the dipstick tube, apparently normal, got it off with a little help from a heat gun.
Now its off, oil a little dark and burnt smell, but not too much debris, just some grey dust, but would expect this for a 90K box, no history so no idea when last changed, usually neglected.
My worry is now I have the sump off is that someone has been at it before, ther are 2 small steel pipes at the back which look a little abused, one is pinched a bit, and one not looking fully seated, but neither will pull out easily. wondering if they are a bitch to fit and someone has hammered them in??
Any thoughts may be helpfull, not sure how restricted and how critical/purpose of the pipes yet.
If you don't get stuck, your not trying hard enough!

WillCJ

• Guru
Re: AW4 trans question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:29:36 PM »

Update to this is that I pulled the tubes out, like pulling teeth, no real restriction so ok with that, and knocked back\in with a hide hammer ok.
Also removed the 3 soleniods to clean and test, two rear ones are the same, 12v makes them 'click' ok, front one is different, similar resistance, but open until energised, now closed, and then take a little pressure to re-open, tested by blowing in the end, yes did get oily mouth!
Will get the pan back on tomorrow and fill with oil for a try.

Trailerguy

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 08:08:03 PM »

The pipes on mine are exactly the same, i thought same as you when I did some work on the box recently but it seems they are all like that! my oil was the same (only 60K) a change of fluid made all the difference, my advice would be change the fluid then run it for a few K's then do the filter and new fluid again.

WillCJ

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:25:16 PM »

The pipes on mine are exactly the same, i thought same as you when I did some work on the box recently but it seems they are all like that! my oil was the same (only 60K) a change of fluid made all the difference, my advice would be change the fluid then run it for a few K's then do the filter and new fluid again.

Thanks for that Trailerguy, all back together and had a 120 mile run today, seemed Ok, or at least as good as it was! Hardly anything visible on the old filter strainer, but will at least change the oil again after a few miles as you say.
Pages: [1]   Go Up