Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WK / WH front diff bush replacement  (Read 7680 times)

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Re: WK / WH front diff bush replacement
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 11:05:53 AM »

That lower fork bolt is a git, I gave up and sent it into the garage when I was replacing lower arms.

The easiest way I found to get the bushes out was to cut the rubber out and then slice the outer metal sleeve (carefully) and then hammer it out with a small punch and big hammer. Easier that pressing them out because you've reduced the size of the outer metal ring.

I've got the double CV shaft so can't really help with the refurb but if you can find the replacement size UJ then it's probably no harder to change than what you are currently doing.

ChrisS

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 09:02:03 AM »

Odd thing is, the Alfa has a similar setup and the lower fork bolts on those are notorious for the same issue....but mine was no bother at all.  When the time comes, I reckon the only way will be to cut the bolt and scrap the lower WB. It'll be due for bushes by then anyway I guess, so no great loss. No doubt finding the bolt will be tricky.

Proshaft UJ is staked in so don't know how to go about dealing with that. Changed more than a few circlip types in years gone by but never a staked one. Maybe find a local place that can do them?

Bushes came out OK with the method you suggest. The middle of the top one almost fell out, so that was easy, I used the BJ press tool to push the middles out of the other two and after a wee bit of carefull sawing & a bash, the outer sleeves came out easy enough. New ones went in easy with the press tool.

Putting the whole WB, upright & driveshaft lump back in was, er, challenging.

Final kick in the nads was the transmission cooler lines. The set of special tools I bought for the job about 3 years ago....didn't fit and TBH, I don't think even with the right tool it would have been possible without dropping the cats off to give clearance. Gave up on that one - its been weeping oil from the flexi sections since I bought it - it can carry on for a bit. Knowing me, I'll sell it with the replacement lines still in the packet they came in.

Still, all back together and feels fine so just need to check/set the tracking and job done until next time. I did at least have the wit to free off the track rod ends while I was under there....

ChrisS

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 09:14:40 AM »

Well that's irritating....just mooching for bits and spotted this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-WH-WK-2005-2010-FRONT-DIFFERENTIAL-MOUNT-SET-BRAND-NEW-/261522917669?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ce3fb0925#ht_3937wt_1161

Set of 3 duff bushes, the front one already fitted into a new steel carrier....for less than £70 all-in.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 05:41:16 PM »

Well I've just collected the WK from the garage (TCJ Services) and after having both front wheel bearing assemblies changed (and new front discs and pads) it's back to being the quiet, relaxed drive it usually is.

Lesson learnt from this episode is not to rule out wheel bearings a being the fault even when there is no play in them. They are cheaper to buy and easier to source than a lot of the other stuff under there.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 07:04:01 PM »

Result DING DONG!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

ChrisS

• Guru
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 04:57:44 PM »

I'll add my tale of joy as well - I wanted to give it a while to be sure, but having replaced the diff mounting bushes the 'thump' shifting into/out of D or R is totally gone and even better, so has the occasionaly scarilly noisy up-shift into 3rd. It was so bad at times that last gerbox service I was expecting to find chunks of gearteeth in there....thankfully the oil was clean and the magnet was bare. Must just have been the diff flapping about underneath as the torque changed.

Good news.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up