Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ central locking and alarm question  (Read 1130 times)

Graham

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
ZJ central locking and alarm question
« on: July 24, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »

Should the central locking on the ZJ work with the key in any of the locks or just from the remote?

Also, unlock jeep and alarm goes off when door is opened. Two more clicks on left remote button shuts alarm off but I'm guessing there's a sensor gone somewhere.

Oddly, there's no noise on the alarm. Just flashing indicators

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Re: ZJ central locking and alarm question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 03:23:30 PM »

The key locks in the doors aren't linked to the central locking or the alarm, so at least that bit is operating as it's supposed to.

With the alarm, I'm not sure if you're on about unlocking with the key or the remote, but the alarm will definitely go off when the door is opened if it's unlocked with the key instead of the remote.
The remote is the only way to operate the central locking from outside and disarm the alarm.

Our ZJ is a bit weird in that the central locking switch inside the car will arm the alarm if you lock it with the engine off - I've caught myself out a few times when sat in dodgy car parks.
Jay can confirm that ZJs definitely do come with an audible alarm!

Graham

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 03:33:40 PM »

Unlock with fob, either one click to unlock drivers door or two to unlock all doors.  Then open the door and the alarm goes off. Two more clicks on fob clears it. It's like the central locking should tell the alarm to disarm, but isn't doing.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 03:37:50 PM »

Hmm, that's definitely not right.
The one/two click thing is normal (and a PITA when the range on the remote is as bad as on a ZJ), but I'm afraid that's the extent of my knowledge!
Pages: [1]   Go Up