Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternator help (CJ7/AMC 360)  (Read 2210 times)

robpark

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Ford F150 Custom 4x4 351 V8
  • Year: 1979
Alternator help (CJ7/AMC 360)
« on: June 14, 2017, 10:56:29 PM »

I realised today that the alternator on the CJ isn't working (12.7v on the battery didn't change when running the engine & measuring output from the alternator constantly flicked backwards and forwards between 0-12v, with an occasional flash of 14v). I think the belt is a bit slack, but the alternator seemed to be turning ok & not slipping.
....anyway, anyone know how I identify the alternator & do I look for one for a CJ7, or one for an AMC 360? ....and recommendations for best place to buy would be appreciated.
Cheers.

5536paulj

Re: Alternator help (CJ7/AMC 360)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 11:07:19 PM »

Lighthouse will have one, as far as I know the 4.2 and 360 had the same alternator so not CJ specific, somebody will chime in if I'm wrong!

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 07:49:17 AM »

same altinator but pulleys are not always the same 

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:59:32 PM »

If you want it quick Lightys, if you can wait a few days then Rock Auto will be cheaper and no doubt there will be the usual choice of ridiculously cheap re manufactured ones or brand new still stupidly cheap branded name if you want that.
Dont forget the 5% Birtys discount if you go that way.
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

robpark

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 12:53:17 PM »

Thanks for the help.

After a short Google'fest, it seems I have a Delco-Remy 10SI 'one-wire' 63amp alternator. Yes, I can get a remanufactured replacement from Rock Auto (great price), but for similar money I think I'll take it to a local company (John Garey's place in Redditch), http://autoelectricsredditch.co.uk/alternator.html ...apparently they can refurb while I wait :)

johnnythefridge

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 07:38:35 AM »

It sounds very much like your altenator just needs a set of brushes. Pull it to bits and get a set off ebay.

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 05:41:46 PM »

Thanks for the help.

After a short Google'fest, it seems I have a Delco-Remy 10SI 'one-wire' 63amp alternator. Yes, I can get a remanufactured replacement from Rock Auto (great price), but for similar money I think I'll take it to a local company (John Garey's place in Redditch), http://autoelectricsredditch.co.uk/alternator.html ...apparently they can refurb while I wait :)

If a new fan belt doesn't cure my squeak on the Capri I too could be using their services as they are only round the corner from work ;)

Did they re-furb yours Rob ? Care to share the price & turn around time mate ?
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

robpark

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 06:34:24 PM »

Sorry Gaz, haven't got round to it yet, but Thursday's going to be Jeep fettling day and I'm hoping to get the fuel tank sender fitted and get the alternator off (provided all those damned nuts will move!).

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 06:52:21 AM »

No worries Rob ;)

All being well a planned belt swop tomorrow will sort mine but its good to have a back up plan ;)
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

robpark

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »

Alternator all fixed :)
....with James help, we got all the nuts off the makeshift bracket yesterday and I took it down to Auto Electrics, Redditch this afternoon. Alternator was tested, fault diagnosed (voltage regulator) and new parts fitted while I waited (took about 30mins). Very impressed with the service, and was charged £40+VAT.

In theory, I could have bought a refurb unit from Rock Auto for similar money - but there's always a risk that the pulley would be wrong, and that's a pain to change, or some other issues. It was nice to keep it local ;)

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 05:13:49 PM »

Result..... :icon_super:

robpark

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 08:39:35 PM »

Well, got a bit ahead of myself with the alternator. I managed to find a bit of steel tube to make something close to the original sleeve on the mounting bolt and fitted the alternator - but it was still not charging. Failing to believe that there could be more than one problem with charging, I took the alternator back off (I'm getting much quicker at this!) and trotted off to AER to get it checked out again. They confirmed it really was ok, but questioned the wiring in the Jeep. I replied that it was a 'single wire' alternator, so it couldn't be simpler than the one wire that connected the alternator to the solenoid. Ah, they said, there should be more than that ....pointing to the two spade connectors on the back edge of the alternator!
To cut a long story short, after some discussion, and me learning a lot more about alternators from Google and YouTube, I realised that the bare wire I'd wondered about should, in fact, have had a spade connector on it and been connected from the 'BAT' terminal to terminal #2 on the alternator. The alternator now works fine, but needs a quick punt up to 3000 rpm to get it charging. I could avoid this by running a wire from terminal #1 to a 'ign/charging' light and then to the 'run' position on the ignition switch (as an exciter wire), but it seems a lot of trouble now I understand what's going on.
I've attached a diagram which I hope will help explain to anyone else with similar issues in the future ;)

johnnyboy

• Guru
  • Vehicle: 79 CJ7 LHD 258 owned since 1980, 79 CJ7 LHD 304 quadratrack - nuts and bolts rebuild almost done...
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 11:02:38 AM »

Thanks Rob. My alternator is working but making funny screeching noises occasionally (no, its not the fan belt), so I will need to be getting into this soon...
Pages: [1]   Go Up